Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 07:01 AM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Everyone, it's one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city
Agreed. It's one of the hottest neighborhoods for a certain demographic of people: typically 20s and 30s somethings who move to NYC for the first time--either after graduating college, out of their parent's homes, or moving to NYC to "live in a trendy area without paying Williamsburg prices."

I used to rent and sell real estate in north Brooklyn in the early 2000s. Bushwick was an area for BIG bargains, but was still sort of scary in spots. It was known as a great spot to land drugs, was super rat-infested (moreso than other parts of the city, so I heard), and was pretty dicey after the sun went down (gangs, violence, robberies, etc) in many areas of the neighborhood.

But it gentrified in many areas, very, very quickly--and continues to do so today.

I occasionally will pop over there to see what's new and walk around the area to pop into a bar or restaurant. It's changed for the better so much. But it's still sort of "grimy on the streets" in many parts, meaning trash littered everywhere and general unkempt sort of look and feel.

It is a cool neighborhood though, that can be a great landing spot for people newer to NYC or those looking for a more reasonable roommate situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 09:23 AM

37,185 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Agreed. I haven't been to Cypress Hills lately, but last time I went there I thought "this is probably the furthest East we will see the Bushwick gentrification spread".

As for Mexicans/Central Americans, I honestly think there are more of them in Bushwick among the younger generation than Puerto Ricans/Dominicans. At least in the Western part of the neighborhood.

And yeah Bushwick definitely gets a lot of people from other neighborhoods hanging out + even tourists. I met so many tourists there, particularly around the Jefferson L.

Yea, these sound about right to me. The area around the Jefferson L is basically a playground now. Where a lot of things have been changing rapidly in the past few years has been that industrial corner of things between Halsey and Wilson L stops with the multiple breweries and Nowadays among other places. I'm kind of thinking that once that's saturated and gentrification proceeds along the J train (where it's been slower than what's been happening on the L and M), the last part of these sort of large industrial spreads that it's still relatively easy to get to the city and other parts of North Brooklyn is the area around Broadway Junction and that includes that western part of Cypress Hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Agreed. It's one of the hottest neighborhoods for a certain demographic of people: typically 20s and 30s somethings who move to NYC for the first time--either after graduating college, out of their parent's homes, or moving to NYC to "live in a trendy area without paying Williamsburg prices."

I used to rent and sell real estate in north Brooklyn in the early 2000s. Bushwick was an area for BIG bargains, but was still sort of scary in spots. It was known as a great spot to land drugs, was super rat-infested (moreso than other parts of the city, so I heard), and was pretty dicey after the sun went down (gangs, violence, robberies, etc) in many areas of the neighborhood.

But it gentrified in many areas, very, very quickly--and continues to do so today.

I occasionally will pop over there to see what's new and walk around the area to pop into a bar or restaurant. It's changed for the better so much. But it's still sort of "grimy on the streets" in many parts, meaning trash littered everywhere and general unkempt sort of look and feel.

It is a cool neighborhood though, that can be a great landing spot for people newer to NYC or those looking for a more reasonable roommate situation.

I think at this point Bushwick's also getting people who have lived in NYC for a while and are moving on from East Village and Williamsburg without roommates (or are moving with related roommates aka family).

Old 08-17-2022, 10:27 AM

870 posts, read 415,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
Complete and utter nonsense.
Oh yeah? Besides a few schools like Bronx Science and Stuyvesant, there are no great public schools in NYC as a whole so in Brooklyn...

As for my take on the borough, it is realistic.

It's ok to be offended by facts.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Oh yeah? Besides a few schools like Bronx Science and Stuyvesant, there are no great public schools in NYC as a whole so in Brooklyn...

It's a lot more than just a few schools. US News among other high school rankings put a lot of NYC high schools pretty high up there including the two you mentioned like Townsend Harris, Queens High School for the Sciences, High School Math Science and Engineering at CCNY among others. One thing that's been happening over the last couple of decades is that a lot of NYC high schools, including quite a few new ones set up over the last two decades, have been consistently outranking most of the suburban high schools with a few in New Jersey doing about as well. In comparison to Westchester on up and Long Island, there are a good dozen NYC public schools that appear in the ranks higher before you hit the first of the suburban schools for those areas. The problem with the public schools here is more that there are also quite a few schools that do quite badly.

As for Brooklyn high schools that rank well and seem to have very good results, there are several and some of these are very large. Brooklyn Tech is obvious, and the newer Brooklyn Latin School are the most prominent standouts, but there are several other fairly good ones as in ranking within top 10% in the US. There is a solid argument though for Queens having a greater share of good to great high schools than Brooklyn does. One thing that's interesting about NYC though is that there are actually a fair number of students who commute outside of their home borough for high school especially among the higher ranking schools.

I think in addition to the general inaccuracy of what you said, perhaps part of the problem with your post might be the wording. Going from "there are no ..." and then qualify that with "as a whole" is sort of silly. I don't find that offensive though, just silly.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-17-2022 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-17-2022, 02:17 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,958,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemicjoe_ View Post
Bay Ridge smashes NE queens. Mansions, safe & affordable compared to the rest of the city and the R train just 3 avenues up. Amazing food & fun nightlife.
I don't know if Bay Ridge smashes NE Queens. BR is a great area for sure, I would say Bayside Queens would be very comparable.

I know you were responding to the other member's posts who was bashing Brooklyn. Southern Brooklyn has some great neighborhoods (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Manhattan Beach, etc.) so I would definitely say that you can't go wrong with North Eastern Queens or Southern Brooklyn.

Last edited by New Englander; 08-17-2022 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-17-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I don't know if Bay Ridge smashes NE Queens. BR is a great area for sure, I would say Bayside Queens would be very comparable.

I know you were responding to the other member's posts who was bashing Brooklyn. Southern Brooklyn has some great neighborhoods (Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Manhattan Beach, etc.) so I would definitely say that you can't go wrong with North Eastern Queens or Southern Brooklyn.

Yea, both are great! I think it's more the two people are talking about fairly different criteria. One was talking about school districts and proximity to Long Island attractions and express commute to the city. The other was talking about food and fun nightlife and proximity to other places via the R train. You have some of each quality in the other area, too, it's just a bit more this and a little less that. That's good because people have different preferences, so it's nice that the city has such a constellation of great neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2022, 09:25 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,958,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, both are great! I think it's more the two people are talking about fairly different criteria. One was talking about school districts and proximity to Long Island attractions and express commute to the city. The other was talking about food and fun nightlife and proximity to other places via the R train. You have some of each quality in the other area, too, it's just a bit more this and a little less that. That's good because people have different preferences, so it's nice that the city has such a constellation of great neighborhoods.
Absolutely agree. I don't think we should be making any blanket statements about any of the boros as they all have excellent neighborhoods and it all depends on what you value the most. I hope the OP is deterred by some of the items mentioned here and makes a decision to suit their needs

Old 08-18-2022, 10:21 AM

93 posts, read 41,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post

You said "You will most likely not have great schools in Brooklyn (quite the opposite), even in fancy neighborhoods like Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope" to a mother with a 3-year-old, who is almost certainly most concerned with elementary schools. The schools in Brownstone Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park SLope, etc) are absolutely fine, and all of these neighborhoods are far nicer and more desirable than any of those you listed in Queens.

I'll agree with you that all/most public high schools in NYC suck, but moving to Woodhaven or Sunnyside certainly won't fix that for you lol.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:33 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's a lot more than just a few schools. US News among other high school rankings put a lot of NYC high schools pretty high up there including the two you mentioned like Townsend Harris, Queens High School for the Sciences, High School Math Science and Engineering at CCNY among others. One thing that's been happening over the last couple of decades is that a lot of NYC high schools, including quite a few new ones set up over the last two decades, have been consistently outranking most of the suburban high schools with a few in New Jersey doing about as well. In comparison to Westchester on up and Long Island, there are a good dozen NYC public schools that appear in the ranks higher before you hit the first of the suburban schools for those areas. The problem with the public schools here is more that there are also quite a few schools that do quite badly.

As for Brooklyn high schools that rank well and seem to have very good results, there are several and some of these are very large. Brooklyn Tech is obvious, and the newer Brooklyn Latin School are the most prominent standouts, but there are several other fairly good ones as in ranking within top 10% in the US. There is a solid argument though for Queens having a greater share of good to great high schools than Brooklyn does. One thing that's interesting about NYC though is that there are actually a fair number of students who commute outside of their home borough for high school especially among the higher ranking schools.

I think in addition to the general inaccuracy of what you said, perhaps part of the problem with your post might be the wording. Going from "there are no ..." and then qualify that with "as a whole" is sort of silly. I don't find that offensive though, just silly.
US news and world report rankings, for anything, is only worthwhile as toilet paper. It's about on par with consume reports in the age of Amazonas and online reviews.

There are good schools in NYC but citing USNWR is lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City