Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 07:42 AM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
“community refrigerators, anyone is welcome to take whatever they want and leave behind food they don’t need, like extra produce”

Great way to reduce waste. They’ve been popping up since Feb of 2020

Here’s a list of where you can find fridges to donate to or use if needed: https://nycfridge.com/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...e-nyc.amp.html
Very popular overseas! Love that idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 08:52 AM

11 posts, read 4,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol Not surprised.
It is not funny for the people who struggle to get by. The elderly non-English speaking Chinese grandmas who raid the food pantries and probably resell many items through their family restaurants. I suspect part of the reason they take every single item from shelves (even if they have no use for them) is because they do not want other people to have the free foods.

If you have always been insulated from hardship I guess it is funny for you even though it is not.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:53 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbox View Post
It is not funny for the people who struggle to get by. The elderly non-English speaking Chinese grandmas who raid the food pantries and probably resell many items through their family restaurants. I suspect part of the reason they take every single item from shelves (even if they have no use for them) is because they do not want other people to have the free foods.

If you have always been insulated from hardship I guess it is funny for you even though it is not.
Some people are legitimately poor and need the community fridges, while other people are just freeloading, hence my lol, and you confirm this in your own post.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:09 AM

My suspicion is that they raid the pantry of everything because they do not want others to have anything. It is the logic of mainland Chinese will zero education whatsoever. I could be incorrect but that is my suspicion. I have seen them coming with their large shopping carts, laughing loudly as they see the pantry because they are mentally unstable and they find sick pleasure in knowing that free food is available.

On occasion I find a few good items in there. Unlike the brick and mortar food pantries with staff who divvy out foods, the outdoor refrigerators are very unreliable. From what I gather the businesses that drop off food do so sporadically so between them and the raiders with large shopping carts, it can be a disappointment.

I have watched the delivery riders aggressively loading up food items from the pantries too.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:19 AM

To Dave 92 LSC,
That has crossed my mind before because the refrigerators are frequented by vagrants and suspicious people, the fridges are not hygienic, but one time I ate a bite of food that was from Trader Joes and something tasted bitter like it did not belong so I worried if it was chemicals. I never became sick though.

Even touching the refrigerator door or the cabinets with dry goods feels very dirty.

Another thing I suspect is that they will raid these pantries and then sell the items as street vendors. So there are all sorts of scavengers who know about them.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:04 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Hi Gilmoregirl. Bye Gilmoregirl.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-24-2022, 11:09 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Hi Gilmoregirl. Bye Gilmoregirl.
Hahahaha!!

Old 06-25-2022, 08:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I would be afraid of getting a syringe of sodium-cyanide injected into a piece of fruit. I am old enough to remember the cyanide laced capsules of Tylenol of 1982.

BUT I did take 2 huge two pound containers of 90% Whey protein powder left on the table in my lobby with well-sealed lids...that's like $80 worth. Somebody probably bought the whey and signed up for an annual gym membership and realized after the first bench press this life was not for them. I much appreciated 4 pounds of balanced amino acids (I make protein shakes often.)

Canned goods can be presumed safe unless the can is bulging or leaking.

But there are no fridge places on the UES.

Old 06-25-2022, 11:54 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,733,403 times
Ah, the anti-Chinese racism, how classy.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:12 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,400,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Very popular overseas! Love that idea!
Yes, I'm glad its making its way to the U.S!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: