Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 06:15 AM

822 posts, read 782,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes, there are day passes. I think you have to get them at a subway stop, though.

Subways are good for speed, but I like buses, because you can see things.

By the way, Rockefeller isn't much to see. It's just nice buildings.

How about a museum?
They got rid of the unlimited single day metro card many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 11:41 AM

25,405 posts, read 37,161,117 times
Make sure you include the Metropolitan Museum of Art in your itinerary. It is the single best thing in New York City. A free round trip on the Staten Island ferry seems to delight visitors.

If you stay in NJ it is imperative that you stay VERY near a PATH station or you will be driven crazy with the back and forth between states. You don't want to spend too much time in transit.

Better yet, stay in Manhattan in the cheapest AirBnB you can find South of 96th Street.

Have a nice time.

Old 08-14-2022, 01:14 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,564,337 times
What's your budget per night? If you do some research, you can get a deal in Manhattan and not have to travel from NJ, especially since it's before Memorial Day. Also shoot for week nights if you can, which will be cheaper than weekends.

Agree with KK about the Met. Also a wide variety of performances at Lincoln Center which will be in full swing in April.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:47 AM

250 posts, read 442,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
What's your budget per night? If you do some research, you can get a deal in Manhattan and not have to travel from NJ, especially since it's before Memorial Day. Also shoot for week nights if you can, which will be cheaper than weekends.

Agree with KK about the Met. Also a wide variety of performances at Lincoln Center which will be in full swing in April.
I'd love to keep it at no more than $250-$275 a night.
I know that will be tough though.
I'm open to a hotel in Manhattan, or an AirBNB in the city, but I just assumed the prices would be too high.
I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

Thanks for the input,
I visited NYC about 10 years ago, and we did not plan the trip at all, and missed a lot of things.
I am planning this trip to the T

Old 08-15-2022, 07:26 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,564,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM91 View Post
I'd love to keep it at no more than $250-$275 a night.
I know that will be tough though.
I'm open to a hotel in Manhattan, or an AirBNB in the city, but I just assumed the prices would be too high.
I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

Thanks for the input,
I visited NYC about 10 years ago, and we did not plan the trip at all, and missed a lot of things.
I am planning this trip to the T
You can definitely find something in that price range. I have a friend staying at the Warwick this week (height of tourist season) for $230 per night (plus hotel taxes which are ridiculous) because he's staying Monday and Tuesday. Use Trip Advisor . No reason to schlep from NJ.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:34 AM

25,405 posts, read 37,161,117 times
Last year a cousin-in-law (if there is such a thing) got a very nice AirBnB near Grand Central for $49/night.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:52 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,291,798 times
Quote:
I've looked this up, but I'd like to get opinions from people as well,

We are planning a trip to NYC in April of 2023.
This trip will have us there two full days as we will be visiting other areas as well on this vacation.

What is the best way to get around?
We will be staying in Jersey (within 20 minutes of NYC)

Is there a bus pass/subway pass that you pay by the day, and not the trip?
I've not had good results when searching this.

Would you prefer subway travel, or bus travel?
Only areas we'd like to visit is mainly Times Square, 9/11 Memorial, Coney Island, Rockefeller Center, Lion King (Broadway Show). These are things planned at this time.

I've visited NYC before, but I'm not too comfortable driving in the city. I am from North Carolina and live in the country! LOL. So even if we can leave our vehicle at the AirBNB and travel that way, it'd be great,

Shoot your suggestions over,
I appreciate your response in advance!

Skip Coney Island if you only have two days. Focus on Manhattan so you don't spend so much time travelling around the city.

You don't say who "we" include. Children? Adults? Granny?

The weather will be perfect for walking around the city and getting from attraction to attraction. City buses are good for short to immediate distances and the best way to go cross town north of 42nd Street. You can transfer from buses to subway and vice versa.

Buses require exact change or a metro card. Exact change means that: all change (coins), not bills.

https://www.newyorkwelcome.net/explo...blic-buses.htm

Old 02-14-2023, 10:35 AM

250 posts, read 442,759 times
An update,
We will be in a hotel in Secaucus, Residence Inn.

Without us having to drive into the city,
What is your recommendation to getting into the city?
Taxi, Uber, Subway?

What would be the cheapest option?

We have tickets to the Lion King, Central Park Zoo, Rockefeller (Top of the Rock), and would like to see Time's Square and 9/11 Memorial.

This is in April of 2024.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:58 AM

88,763 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
An update,
We will be in a hotel in Secaucus, Residence Inn.

Without us having to drive into the city,
What is your recommendation to getting into the city?
Taxi, Uber, Subway?

What would be the cheapest option?

We have tickets to the Lion King, Central Park Zoo, Rockefeller (Top of the Rock), and would like to see Time's Square and 9/11 Memorial.

This is in April of 2024.
Well..you can't get into the city from Secaucus by subway because the subway isn't out there.

There is a huge train station in Secaucus called Secaucus Junction (actually, it's the Frank R. Lautenberg Rail Station, but nobody calls it that. It's usually just "Secaucus Junction or Transfer" because all the NJ Transit train lines run through it).

Not sure how far your Residence Inn is from the station, but Secaucus isn't that big, so you can probably get an Uber or Lyft and be there in a few minutes. Ask at the hotel what they recommend.

There are frequent trains from Secaucus into New York's Penn Station, which is at 7th/8th Avenues and 32nd - 34th Streets, and the actual ride is 10 minutes. From there you can walk or take subways or cabs or whatever, depending on how far you need to go.

An alternate for going downtown/Lower Manhattan/WTC area is to take one of the trains that goes from Secaucus to Hoboken Terminal, which is across the river from that part of the city. Great views, and you can get either a ferry across the river or the PATH train (a sort of subway that runs between a couple of NJ cities down that way and that part of the city) right to the WTC complex itself. It's worth spending some time in that part of Manhattan, the oldest part of New York, not just the 9/11 Memorial but also walking through the older, narrow streets, seeing Wall Street, Trinity Church, and Battery Park. Also St. Paul's Chapel, oldest public building still in use in NYC and the staging area for the cleanup and recovery of the WTC site. Now a tribute museum to that effort. Cool old cemeteries, too, both there and Trinity, if you like that sort of thing.

In that part of the city, which is the narrowest part of Manhattan island, you can walk from the Hudson River to the East River in about ten minutes.

There is no apostrophe in "Times Square". It is called that because it is where the New York Times headquarters was once located.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-14-2023 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-14-2023, 11:03 AM

2,335 posts, read 1,043,099 times
You don't need a Metrocard. Just use OMNY. Pay for 12 fares at any time during a one week period and ride free for the rest of that week.

"Customers will automatically receive free, unlimited rides for the rest of the week once they have paid $33 in fares (or $16.20 for registered Reduced-Fare customers) — the same as taking 12 trips."

https://omny.info/fares

PS - Staten Island ferry is free. DO NOT fall for those scammers in front of the terminal trying to sell you passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City