Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 11:58 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Some people need group identities, other don’t. I get it, I’m on twitter. I just don’t buy into it. Do you have pronouns in your bio too?
It's funny.

I can see high school kids needing such sense of validation, but any adult who is so insecure and can't stand on their own two feet by themselves that they need to defend their "identity" should get professional help because that is pretty pathetic.

Unfortunately, this city seems to attract a lot of those types of people. Hence those people who move from the midwest to "rep NYC". Plenty of locals act the same way too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 04:12 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I can’t see myself ever living there but……”I’m a NYS/NYC resident that still votes there.

You really can’t make this stuff up lol

Thank You for your service btw
It’s all about the money. NY just happens to be beneficial to my bottom line compared to the places I’ve actually been stationed. Doesn’t tax my military pay while Hawaii and Maryland do. So, nope, I haven’t seen fit to change my residency. But that’s been the only plus to maintaining NY residency, which the law allows me to do. If I ever get stationed in Florida all bets are off

But I was raised in Brooklyn and as I mentioned frequent the city. So I am perfectly knowledgeable of city happenings and feel perfectly fine commenting on city and state affairs

Old 09-06-2022, 05:39 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
I can’t see myself ever living there but……”I’m a NYS/NYC resident that still votes there.

You really can’t make this stuff up lol

Thank You for your service btw
Tell us more about how little you understand about military life.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-06-2022, 12:59 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You're making a few grossly incorrect assumptions and I can only assume it's a reactionary response to anyone wanting to speak about NYC in a more nuanced manner than simply stating "NYC is the greatest!".

Where did I ever say I hate NYC? Why are you assuming I have buyers remorse or that I'm unhappy? My wife and I make enough to where we don't need to stay in NYC if it makes us unhappy.
My response is hardly reactionary when you reread what you wrote:

. The people who "rep" NYC the most nowadays are clueless transplants and lifelong welfare cases whose only accomplishment in life is being from NYC.

I've spent virtually most of my life in NYC. There are things I like and there are things I don't. I bought some (pricey) property a few years ago so I'll probably be here for the foreseeable future. I can't tell you I'm proud to be from NYC though. During the Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations there was definitely a sense of pride. The city was on an upswing and was leading the nation in many respects.

What's there to be proud of now? The incompetent politicians that can't run a city? The decrepit infrastructure? The joke of a public transit system? Every second NYCer being on some sort of welfare program?

Go to any NYCHA and you'll hear about how "proud" most are about being from NYC. Go to any neighborhood with a low welfare rate where people actually work and you'll hear a mixed story nowadays.

Where is the nuance? All I'm reading is negativity and hostility towards NYC. No one expects anyone (much less Native New Yorkers) to say NYC is the greatest and without issues -- however, your words were negativity overload about NYC. As for buyers remorse, you were the one who brought the pricy property and basically said that you have to be in NYC for that reason.

Do you even read what you wrote? 9 out of 10 people reading would interpret your words as hating NYC and having buyer's remorse.

Quote:
I bought two years ago in a great neighborhood and I'm already up a few hundred K in value. I didn't spend $1.3 million on a property to only regret it a few years later. I could've just as easily bought in LI or NJ.
Congratulations on the property. If you don't regret it, then your earlier words don't reflect that. Either way, glad you're up a few hundred K in value, at least NYC is good for that.

Quote:
I grew up here so I know the nuances of this city. That doesn't mean there are aspects I don't like about it or I don't see the push into certain directions. No one can change lifelong welfare cases? Says who? Just like the government giveth, it can taketh away. Clueless transplants don't bother me either way. In fact, they're more product for this city than the native NYCers and recent immigrants who sit on welfare for decades on end.
You keep throwing around 'nuance' however where is this nuance you speak of? I am a native New Yorker who fully accepts the negatives that come with NYC and there are plenty of them, however, in balance the City works well enough for me to be here.

Do you really believe that 'the government' will change the welfare system in NYC where 68% of voters are Democrats and in NYS where 50% of the voters are Democrats? No chance of that happening and you know that.

Quote:
I really don't understand this line of reasoning that if one "complains" about certain aspects of this city than the only solution is to move. Where did this notion come from?
Again please reread what you wrote, because it's clear that you haven't. 100% of what you said was negative so it's not complaining about certain aspects of the City. Maybe you feel liberated to write all of this because it's an anonymous forum, however, if you were to say this to me in person at a social event, I would walk away with the understanding that you hate NYC and I would ask why would you live there if there are so many issues/problems for you?

I'm not sitting here dwelling on transplants, welfare cases, and other things I can't control. I'd rather make the money, spend time with friends/family, and do things NYC offers (restaurants, events, etc.). Just to give you some background, I started my latest venture, solely Boston based, which morphed to 1-2 days in NYC to splitting time between Boston/NYC. This organic transition to NYC was due to having both domestic and foreign clients being willing to meet with me in the City, a certain level of respect for an NYC HQ, and finding unparalleled talent/ancillary support -- all of which were not available in Boston. Boston is a terrific city that punches above it's weight, however, NYC is making me oodles of dollars, ensuring that my business operations are running seamlessly. So NYC has been great for me.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:39 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
My response is hardly reactionary when you reread what you wrote:

. The people who "rep" NYC the most nowadays are clueless transplants and lifelong welfare cases whose only accomplishment in life is being from NYC.

I've spent virtually most of my life in NYC. There are things I like and there are things I don't. I bought some (pricey) property a few years ago so I'll probably be here for the foreseeable future. I can't tell you I'm proud to be from NYC though. During the Giuliani and Bloomberg administrations there was definitely a sense of pride. The city was on an upswing and was leading the nation in many respects.

What's there to be proud of now? The incompetent politicians that can't run a city? The decrepit infrastructure? The joke of a public transit system? Every second NYCer being on some sort of welfare program?

Go to any NYCHA and you'll hear about how "proud" most are about being from NYC. Go to any neighborhood with a low welfare rate where people actually work and you'll hear a mixed story nowadays.

Where is the nuance? All I'm reading is negativity and hostility towards NYC. No one expects anyone (much less Native New Yorkers) to say NYC is the greatest and without issues -- however, your words were negativity overload about NYC. As for buyers remorse, you were the one who brought the pricy property and basically said that you have to be in NYC for that reason.

Do you even read what you wrote? 9 out of 10 people reading would interpret your words as hating NYC and having buyer's remorse.

Congratulations on the property. If you don't regret it, then your earlier words don't reflect that. Either way, glad you're up a few hundred K in value, at least NYC is good for that.

You keep throwing around 'nuance' however where is this nuance you speak of? I am a native New Yorker who fully accepts the negatives that come with NYC and there are plenty of them, however, in balance the City works well enough for me to be here.

Do you really believe that 'the government' will change the welfare system in NYC where 68% of voters are Democrats and in NYS where 50% of the voters are Democrats? No chance of that happening and you know that.

Again please reread what you wrote, because it's clear that you haven't. 100% of what you said was negative so it's not complaining about certain aspects of the City. Maybe you feel liberated to write all of this because it's an anonymous forum, however, if you were to say this to me in person at a social event, I would walk away with the understanding that you hate NYC and I would ask why would you live there if there are so many issues/problems for you?

I'm not sitting here dwelling on transplants, welfare cases, and other things I can't control. I'd rather make the money, spend time with friends/family, and do things NYC offers (restaurants, events, etc.). Just to give you some background, I started my latest venture, solely Boston based, which morphed to 1-2 days in NYC to splitting time between Boston/NYC. This organic transition to NYC was due to having both domestic and foreign clients being willing to meet with me in the City, a certain level of respect for an NYC HQ, and finding unparalleled talent/ancillary support -- all of which were not available in Boston. Boston is a terrific city that punches above it's weight, however, NYC is making me oodles of dollars, ensuring that my business operations are running seamlessly. So NYC has been great for me.
Once again, your response IS reactionary and you're overthinking and ascribing your thoughts to me instead of taking my posts at face value. "Negatively overloaded" is an opinion. It doesn't mean anything. What exactly did I say that's you're disputing?

This is a forum. It's a place for discussion. No one is dwelling on anything here. If you start a thread about what residents like about NYC, I'll participate. This thread isn't about that though.

As for NYC and NYS being majority Democrat, what were they when Giuliani/ Bloomberg and Pataki were elected? If someone doesn't agree with government policies, they should just fall in line or leave?
It's such a stupid line of reasoning because our entire system is based on complaints.

I'll even let you in on a little secret. Even the almighty federal government has a web page dedicated specifically for complaints against the government. Every federal, state, and city agency has avenues to address grievances.

You seem to be really bothered by negative opinions of NYC? I might even say that you're "dwelling " on them. Why is that? It's odd that someone that doesn't even love in NYC gets all bent out of shape about negative comments directed at NYC.

If you think what I said was bad then you haven't really talked any NYCers. What I said was mild compared to what many would say if you got them started.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
It's funny.

I can see high school kids needing such sense of validation, but any adult who is so insecure and can't stand on their own two feet by themselves that they need to defend their "identity" should get professional help because that is pretty pathetic.

Unfortunately, this city seems to attract a lot of those types of people. Hence those people who move from the midwest to "rep NYC". Plenty of locals act the same way too.
Peruse this thread. It's exact what I've stated. The people who "rep" this city are transplants/outsiders and welfare cases.

Someone is telling me I'm "overly negative" about NYC yet they live in Boston (and presumably left NYC). The irony doesn't even begin to enter their thoughts.

Old 09-06-2022, 02:00 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
You seem to be really bothered by negative opinions of NYC? I might even say that you're "dwelling " on them. Why is that? It's odd that someone that doesn't even love in NYC gets all bent out of shape about negative comments directed at NYC.

If you think what I said was bad then you haven't really talked any NYCers. What I said was mild compared to what many would say if you got them started.
No one's getting bent out of shape here. I called you out for your negative post and you're coming up with countless, contorted messages. I assume that by love you mean live in NYC, then sure, I live in NYC for less than 183 days per year. I extract considerable financial benefits from the City, so why would I grumble about that?

As for talking with New Yorkers, sure there are many who have negative opinions, some justified, others not. Not sure how this relates to NYC being dead or not -- which was the entire point of the thread (at least according to the OP)?

Perhaps you need a little less negativity in your life. I'm done with commenting on what you have to say.

Old 09-06-2022, 11:02 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Quote:
Peruse this thread. It's exact what I've stated. The people who "rep" this city are transplants/outsiders and welfare cases.

Someone is telling me I'm "overly negative" about NYC yet they live in Boston (and presumably left NYC). The irony doesn't even begin to enter their thoughts.
I think it's possible to like NYC yet point out some of its serious flaws. Some people seem like they are incapable of doing it and accuse people of hating NYC if they critique it in any capacity.

Old 09-07-2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
No one's getting bent out of shape here. I called you out for your negative post and you're coming up with countless, contorted messages. I assume that by love you mean live in NYC, then sure, I live in NYC for less than 183 days per year. I extract considerable financial benefits from the City, so why would I grumble about that?

As for talking with New Yorkers, sure there are many who have negative opinions, some justified, others not. Not sure how this relates to NYC being dead or not -- which was the entire point of the thread (at least according to the OP)?

Perhaps you need a little less negativity in your life. I'm done with commenting on what you have to say.
You still didn't answer the question. Why do negative opinions of NYC bother you so much? Especially, if you don't live here.

Furthermore, if you admit that "some" negative opinions of NYC are justified, what are you arguing exactly?

Old 09-07-2022, 05:41 AM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
You still didn't answer the question. Why do negative opinions of NYC bother you so much? Especially, if you don't live here.

Furthermore, if you admit that "some" negative opinions of NYC are justified, what are you arguing exactly?
I have been curious for him to answer that as well

Last edited by Robert9; 09-07-2022 at 06:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City