Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 07:28 PM

3,134 posts, read 2,728,507 times

Advertisements

I'll miss them.

Wondering if I should buy an OMNY card with cash just for, you know, special purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 07:53 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,507 times
With OMNY it's like having a metrocard machine in your pocket.

NYC's third world transitcard was phased out in places like Chicago and London and LA 10+ years ago.

It's strange they are approaching monthly passes a very different way for now, but it may be to cut back on fare abuse.
The OMNY tech is certainly capable of adding time-fixed passes.

As far as the surveillance concerns- it's every bit within their right to track every rider.
It's happening above ground too.
Here's hoping the state uses such tech for good.
I can see people not enjoying that, but it is the future of technology- big data, big brother.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:48 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
When they settle Free Transfers and Senior Discounts, let me know.
I read somewhere that OMNY is supposed to roll out those senior discounts by the end of the year.

Old 09-16-2022, 07:15 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,397,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I read somewhere that OMNY is supposed to roll out those senior discounts by the end of the year.
That's good!

Old 09-16-2022, 07:06 PM

884 posts, read 1,370,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I currently use it. Its annoying but the setup is commuter benefit card gets loaded via paycheck withdrawal.

Purchase an OMNY card at cvs or similiar with personal funds, load 1 dollar on it (only has to be done once until card expires in 6 years)

Create an OMNY account online and load both the omny card and the commuter CC into the app.

Load the omny card with the commuter card. (I load 135 at a time). When omny card balance gets low, reload with commuter card.

Once its setup its not that bad. Certainly more convenient than having to go buy a metro card. (I take express buses from SI and am never really in the subway station or near a metro vending machine)

This is only because my commuter card isnt tap enables, otherwise you wouldnt have to do any of this, you can simply tap the Commuter benefit CC, but at this time the company that supplies the CC doesnt offer a tap enabled card so this is my work around
Thanks for explaining this out for me! My card doesn't have the chip either so I may contact the issuer and see if that is an option. If not, I don't mind adding both cards to the OMNY app and using the workaround. I agree that this is more convenient than using the germ covered metrocard machines once a month! I currently get $127 deducted pre-tax from my pay to go on the commuter benefits card. will have have to up that to $135 as you do once this is our only option.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,205 times
I hope they do replace the current metro cards with tap cards. It's much quicker to tap, The current technology the MTA is using is outdated.

Old 09-18-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynwoman View Post
I hope they do replace the current metro cards with tap cards. It's much quicker to tap, The current technology the MTA is using is outdated.
Isn't the actual OMNY card a tap card?

Old 09-20-2022, 01:49 PM

290 posts, read 275,043 times
I work with Seniors in a healthcare situation. Some of them are going to have a hard time with this. Too many of them don't have smart phones or computers to set up accounts.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by village native View Post
I work with Seniors in a healthcare situation. Some of them are going to have a hard time with this. Too many of them don't have smart phones or computers to set up accounts.
They will be able to purchase an OMNY card which will be reloadable (similar to the Metrocard).

Old 09-21-2022, 09:45 AM

290 posts, read 275,043 times
Do they have to reload online or can they do it at CVS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City