Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 08:18 AM

821 posts, read 774,000 times

Advertisements

NYU > Fordham in almost every single way. Greenwich Village is 10000 times better than the Bronx in every single way, especially safety.

However, there is a big difference between going to a city school vs. a campus school. City schools aren’t for everyone.

If she wants to go to a city school and can get in, maybe consider Columbia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 08:32 AM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the Fordham Bronx campus. It is right outside of the Fordham Metro-North safety and the campus is like Fort Knox in terms of security. I have been on both the NYU and Fordham University campuses' checking out courses and contemplating obtaining my Master's degree. I found NYU to be the most off-putting. The level of snobbery was annoying. Fordham had some snobbery as well, but being a smaller school, less so. Then again I did not go to college here in NYC, so maybe it's a New York City thing. I will say that NYU offers a range of courses for enrichment and agree with the comments about having great connections.
The Bronx campus is across from NY Botanical Gardens, around to corner to the Bronx Zoo and close to Arthur Avenue - a very safe Italian neighborhood with great food and no homeless people.

NYU is nearby Washington Square which during BLM was taken over by the homeless.

Quote:
The reputation of the Village’s iconic park has been dragged through the mud as of late — with other tabloids tossing out terms such as “drug den” and “violent hub” to describe the historic greenspace amid reports that the popular relaxation spot has been seized by unhoused narcotic peddlers.

For years, the famous Washington Square Arch and wide-spanning fountain has been a celebrated hangout spot for teens and young adults who partake in marijuana smoking long before it was legal. However, some have pointed to a recent, unabated rise in drug use and distribution amid the usual crowds of skateboarders, busking musicians, and families picnicking.Nevertheless, toward the western side of the park, quality of life issues related to drug use and homelessness were far more visible.
https://www.amny.com/news/the-real-w...ts-not-scared/

I agree about NYC level of snobbery. OTOH, Fordham is a big drinking school. NYU probably has more drug use.

The big factor for me would be the dorms and facilities.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:08 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
NYU > Fordham in almost every single way. Greenwich Village is 10000 times better than the Bronx in every single way, especially safety.

However, there is a big difference between going to a city school vs. a campus school. City schools aren’t for everyone.

If she wants to go to a city school and can get in, maybe consider Columbia?
Fordham also has a Manhattan campus on the Upper West Side, so your analysis is not quite accurate.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:17 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
SL seems to have very personalized learning. Small groups. Great professors. However other reviews seem to suggest it ends there....
Will look more into it....
It's worth a look as there are a few positives worth considerating.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
The campus at UWS is great. Though would a student be able to take every class needed just there. If so your now part of a very small school.....
Luckily she is a serious student. Guessing this campus selection is even more competitive as well.
Yes, I think that needs to be considered. It's challenging because your daughter probably doesn't know what she will be majoring in, which may mean taking some classes in the Bronx as well.

There is also Pace and St. Johns in Queens (if you want to go the Catholic route). Just additional considerations.

Old 09-05-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Sarah Lawrence has gender neutral dorms and roommates. It allowed a student's father to live in his daughter's dorm room where he pimped out her dorm mates. The girls parents repeatedly meet with Sarah Lawrence to remove the father, but Sarah Lawrence refused.

The story is so horrifying:

Jump Down to

https://www.thecut.com/2022/04/larry...-students.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/06/n...ray-trial.html

https://nypost.com/2022/04/04/horrif...leaders-guilt/

My kids attended summer writing camps at Sarah Lawrence, so I kept an eye on this craziness.

A friend got a full ride to Sarah Lawrence (like twenty years ago) and left because of it's snobby. She transfer to Fordham and is now a lawyer.
Yes, that's definitely a terrible situation and very unfortunate that it occurred at Sarah Lawrence. The OP was concerned about location which is why I brought up SL. I have no particular reason to push for that school.

While other schools may not have had sex scandals on the same magnitude, there is plenty of things going on at Columbia/NYU as well, so teaching your kids to avoid these situations is key irrespective of where they go to college.

Old 09-05-2022, 12:37 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,196 times
Take my advice and have your daughter skip both.

NYU is an NYC based entertainment company issuing student visas catering to foreign students (who pay full sticker cash) masquerading as a university and Fordham is a mediocre private university which means it's way overpriced.

Old 09-05-2022, 12:51 PM

270 posts, read 145,323 times
How about Manhattan College?

Old 09-05-2022, 01:13 PM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
How about Manhattan College?
It all depends on the field of study. Locations is a minor factor compared to a school's strong fields/majors and connections to internships.

My nephew went to Manhattan College. It's a great STEM and business college, but for not liberal arts. It's a lovely campus.

There is Manhattanville College in Purchase NY (very close to NYC). Great business college with a strong liberal arts.

Purchase College, in Purchase NY (again very close to NYC) is a wonderful arts/ballet/writing college.

In Jersey, Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ which is minutes away from the PATH train into Manhattan. It's a very well regarded STEM school.

At little further out from NYC is Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck and Madison NJ - another business oriented college.

There is also Drew University in Madison NJ for liberal arts. It offers many courses with NYC field trips.

NYU doesn't have a real campus, Fordham has more of a campus feel. It depends on how city wise/street smart a student is and if the student has a real need to feel like they are part of something.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 09-05-2022 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-05-2022, 02:16 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,934,065 times
I wouldn’t send my kid to those schools for free.
Plenty of good schools around without the snobbery or their super liberal agendas.

Go to a good school, make good connections. Connections come first in life. It’s who you know not what you know. Always was and will be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City