Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 08:40 PM

11 posts, read 7,000 times

Advertisements

When Giuliani was mayor the city was great. Now nyc is a stinking cesspool with garbage, graffiti and smells everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 07:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
I'll say for me #1 is the diversity & food. I've had the opportunity to travel to other states & nothing compares to variety of food we have in this city.

Also being able to meet people from all over the world and learn more about cultures that are different from my own.
Well, unless you mean diversity IN food options, those are two things.

I think the #1 best thing about NYC is the New Yorkers themselves, who overall display a level of energy, intelligence, and engagement beyond other cities.

Old 09-16-2022, 05:29 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
You don't need to get into a car to do everything, and can skip the expense and hassle of having one. I like to walk outside and see people. In most of the US you just don't see many people outside, unless there's some special event or people are walking to and from their cars in the parking lot.

There's always things to do here, even if you don't have or want to spend money. Architecture is high on my list too.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:46 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
…who overall display a level of energy, intelligence, and engagement beyond other cities.
The vast majority of 9+ million NYC residents are either under-educated or not educated at all. You’d have a very hard time trying to prove that NYC residents are more intelligent than those of other cities which have much smaller underclasses.

The best part about living in NYC is that when you leave, you appreciate what’s outside much, much more than those who’ve never had to experience living in such a teeming mass of piled dung.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-16-2022, 09:12 AM

2,624 posts, read 1,222,031 times
Never knowing whether or not you'll be randomly attacked by a deranged lunatic while minding your busoness does add a sense of excitement to your life.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:03 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
It's the easiest city in the US to get around in with a car being optional. The US part is because I'm familiar with it, speak the default language well, am a citizen so don't have to contend with immigration status things, and have lots of friends and family here (in the US) so it's easier to get to them. I also like that among US cities, NYC really does have a lot of fairly easy train trips to take which is otherwise extremely limited in most other parts of the US.

Now aside from that, for things somewhat more specific to NYC and in tandem with the above, I also like how different the various neighborhoods of the city and the surrounding areas are from each other. This goes from street layout, to architecture, to the history, and the community that currently lives in it. I think the mosaic is interesting and I really like looking at the different grocery stores and trying stuff I've never seen and trying to figure out what it could be good for.

Before getting hitched, I also really enjoyed dating a variety of people as NYC really has a lot of people from all over.

I have a strong preference for Mexican cuisine, Central Asian cuisine, and East Asian cuisines and there are only a few places in the world that has a large variety of both in restaurants and produce with NYC being one of them. The different subculturas that this population size and density allows for is also pretty interesting so whenever I pick up a niche interest, it becomes really easy and fulfilling to pick things up and really explore it. Of the niche interests I've had and continued with, sometimes as part of my job, I think it would be pretty difficult to have the variety and depth of work in other places as I do here.

Not specific to NYC, but pretty rare in conjunction with the rest that I've mentioned, I like also having both mountains (well, hills) and oceans to go to that are within pretty easy reach of the very dense and urban neighborhoods I've generally lived in.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:11 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, unless you mean diversity IN food options, those are two things.

I think the #1 best thing about NYC is the New Yorkers themselves, who overall display a level of energy, intelligence, and engagement beyond other cities.
The census had about 39% of NYC's population above 25 years of age having a bachelor's degree which is slightly higher than the US on average. I think a lot of this though is people from elsewhere. Going further, if we're talking about the sort of top echelon of industry or academia in NYC, it's generally going to be more non-New York natives which perhaps isn't what you mean by New Yorkers.

Native New Yorkers will in some sense be "over represented" compared to any other specific location in the world, but generally within New York City itself, the really more educated residents in terms of formal education and how prestigious the institutions where the degree came from are or amount of compensation or level they get in the higher tiers of their respective tiers are overwhelmingly going to be people who were not born and raised in NYC.

People from elsewhere and not NYC make up the majority of my friends here and the people I work closely with. It's not that I haven't met any native New Yorkers I like and respect, as that definitely exists, it's just that they're a minority.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-16-2022 at 03:35 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 07:12 PM
jyx

65 posts, read 65,270 times
Maybe the best thing is that be generally have the best.

Great chefs, great doctors, great musicians, great professors, etc.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Not needing a car.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:41 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,402,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyx View Post
Maybe the best thing is that be generally have the best.

Great chefs, great doctors, great musicians, great professors, etc.
Yess agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: