Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 04:53 AM

250 posts, read 250,465 times

Advertisements

I know someone is going to comment that crime hasn’t been as bad as it was in the 80’s, but I still feel like it’s terrible here in NYC. It doesn’t matter what borough, what neighborhood, it seems like the demons are running rampant in human form. I’m actually really scared for my family, myself, and everyone. At any moment, someone can just take out a knife or gun and kill someone.

I feel like NYC is a jungle. Maybe I’m watching too much of the news and reading too many articles, but that doesn’t stop the fact that it still is happening. And it could happen to literally anyone. Unprovoked at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 05:44 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
While I’m not dismissing the increase in crime in NYC, I do have to compare how things were in decades gone by when discussing whether I feel safe going outside. That said, I don’t feel unsafe going out and about in NYC, but I do keep somewhat of a more watchful eye out when I do so today compared to the pre-de Blasio days.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:36 AM

5,816 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Been going to work in midtown for half a year now.
It’s not bad. More bums yes.
Have to be more alert and get your eyes off the damn phone and you’ll be fine.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:06 AM

37,142 posts, read 39,394,719 times
I'm not and neither is anyone I'm close to. I think you should either seek help or move out of the city. How you're living is no way to live and if it's not something that you can internally fix, then you should consider being out of the environment you feel is causing this.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:08 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times
I just assume everyone is crazy & capable of stabbing, punching, or shooting me. I may get carried away sometimes, but I look around to see what objects and items other people are carrying. I may need to grab something from someone for a weapon.
The other morning a man got on the train and just started screaming and running through the cart. People literally ran like he had a bomb. Some just sat there. I think I'm less afraid of the crazies who act crazy. You can see the warning that they are crazy, and you move. It's the silent unprovoked psychos I'm afraid of. These "unprovoked" attacks are what I'm mostly worried about. Not seeing it coming, no warning, no way to defend yourself.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:18 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,399,379 times
The things you read, consume have a major impact on how you are feeling if you are not personally experiencing crime against you.

If you watch the world news every day for hours on end you'd also think the world was ending and everyone is dying.

This is not to say that crime doesn't exist- it does.

At the same time if you are constantly consuming news that is bad then you are bound to feel this way. You should not be scared to leave your home.

I used to have 3 news apps giving me alerts on an hour basis during the pandemic and turned the notifications off because it was having an impact on my mental health. You should try and decrease your news consumption.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:22 AM

445 posts, read 320,407 times
No, it isn't that bad yet.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:40 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispynyc View Post
I know someone is going to comment that crime hasn’t been as bad as it was in the 80’s, but I still feel like it’s terrible here in NYC. It doesn’t matter what borough, what neighborhood, it seems like the demons are running rampant in human form. I’m actually really scared for my family, myself, and everyone. At any moment, someone can just take out a knife or gun and kill someone.

I feel like NYC is a jungle. Maybe I’m watching too much of the news and reading too many articles, but that doesn’t stop the fact that it still is happening. And it could happen to literally anyone. Unprovoked at that.
You are correct, don't let anyone say you have mental problems, etc, many non-New Yorkers don't realize over 240 crimes that are committed require no-bail, the criminal is just let out on the street again, so why shouldn't the culprit take a chance on robbing you, just to be let go anyway.

Another problem is the anti-police attitude. Why should a cop risk his career, pension, etc, helping you out if you become a crime victim on the street and they possibly get brought up on false charges and possibly jailed?

Now you have the immigrant problem, right now they are in the Bronx. If they get put on cruise ships they can come and go as they please. Even the Bronx residents are complaining they might bring more crime in the area.

This is why NYC residents were leaving in droves and there is little real estate inventory in Westchester County, Connecticut, NJ, etc. I live a 20 minute train ride away from NYC and never go to Manhattan anymore. They are closing The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway after the holidays because they are losing so much money, people aren't going to the theater, it's not just you fearing NYC crime.

Last edited by wp169; 10-03-2022 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-03-2022, 08:48 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
I am afraid at sunset and nighttime, but during the day I’m fine.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:55 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,399,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
You are correct, don't let anyone say you have mental problems, etc, many non-New Yorkers don't realize over 240 crimes that are committed require no-bail, the criminal is just let out on the street again, so why shouldn't the culprit take a chance on robbing you, just to be let go anyway.

Another problem is the anti-police attitude. Why should a cop risk his career, pension, etc, helping you out if you become a crime victim on the street and they possibly get brought up on false charges and possibly jailed?

Now you have the immigrant problem, right now they are in the Bronx. If they get put on cruise ships they can come and go as they please. Even the Bronx residents are complaining they might bring more crime in the area.

This is why NYC residents were leaving in droves and there is little real estate inventory in Westchester County, Connecticut, NJ, etc. I live a 20 minute train ride away from NYC and never go to Manhattan anymore. They are closing The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway after the holidays because they are losing so much money, people aren't going to the theater, it's not just you fearing NYC crime.
"This is why NYC residents were leaving in droves"

This just isn't true, sure people left when the pandemic hit but even more people came back once things calmed down with covid. Did you seen when people were lining up down blocks just to see 1 apartment?

Why do you think the average rent is now 5k? its not because people are running out of the city...

Sure people are considering moving but where are the numbers of people actually moving in droves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City