Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 10:04 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,437,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Amen. People on here complain about money for the homeless, migrants, and low-income folks. But not a peep about this war.

PS - this citydata reputation system sucks. But I prefer to say something nice than to click a button anyways.
You can say that again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 10:14 AM

621 posts, read 244,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
One thing has little to do with another.

At least you can see the ROI with the money going to Ukraine ( dead RU soldiers, burned out tanks, IFV's, artillery, AA systems, etc.). It's also good PR for US weapons systems. Russia was the second largest worldwide weapons exporter (after the US) and now some of their existing contracts are getting cancelled. More US weapons sales = more US jobs (usually good paying, people that are net positive for the treasury) and indirectly the US becomes more relevant and influential.

The issue isn't spending money. The issue is positive ROI. The system only works if there's positive ROI beyond the inflation rate.

If the city/Feds are dumping upwards of $60K/year on lifelong welfare cases and their children are also welfare cases, do you think that's positive ROI?

Positive ROI? Your hypocrisy continues to amaze me. How does a war in Ukraine benefit you in NYC? It doesn't. And unless you work for or are an investor in the US war complex, how does this PR benefit you or NYC? I don't have much more to say to someone who prefers printing money for war over helping American citizens.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:28 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,282,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Positive ROI? Your hypocrisy continues to amaze me. How does a war in Ukraine benefit you in NYC? It doesn't. And unless you work for or are an investor in the US war complex, how does this PR benefit you or NYC? I don't have much more to say to someone who prefers printing money for war over helping American citizens.
You don't invest in a broad based equity fund? The military-industrial complex encompasses far more entities than you're accounting for (research universities, semiconductor design, steel producers, armor producers, software engineering, rubber producers, high tolerance parts producers, etc, etc, etc.). Go look at how many subcontractors Lockheed Martin alone deals with. Go research how many every day technologies were first developed for the military and then repurposed for civilian use. You don't benefit from GPS, the internet, night vision, digital cameras, etc., etc., etc.

You don't benefit from the US being the dominant military, political, and economic power in the world? I'd say your view is very myopic.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:11 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,091,654 times
Quote:
One thing has little to do with another.

At least you can see the ROI with the money going to Ukraine ( dead RU soldiers, burned out tanks, IFV's, artillery, AA systems, etc.). It's also good PR for US weapons systems. Russia was the second largest worldwide weapons exporter (after the US) and now some of their existing contracts are getting cancelled. More US weapons sales = more US jobs (usually good paying, people that are net positive for the treasury) and indirectly the US becomes more relevant and influential.

The issue isn't spending money. The issue is positive ROI. The system only works if there's positive ROI beyond the inflation rate.

If the city/Feds are dumping upwards of $60K/year on lifelong welfare cases and their children are also welfare cases, do you think that's positive ROI?
Lets see the ROI that Americans are getting back from spending Trillions on the very useless war in Ukraine:
  1. Nuclear bomb threats from Putin (I don't believe he's bluffing and you won't either once a city is hit)
  2. Inflation - since Russia banned oil into Europe and the Saudi's just cut US oil by millions of barrels since they do not respect neither Biden nor NATO
  3. More Inflation - since the very corrupt comedian of who is Zelensky is basically getting a blank check to write off whatever expense he writes off as war (who do you think is paying for this? Ah yes... the American tax payer!) By the way, the other day, my job gave me a small bonus of 1000 over COVID, and the stupid thing was taxed in half! I couldn't believe my eyes!
  4. Lives lost, since the moron of a clown of who is Zelensky, REFUSES to negotiate for peace, since he feels arrogantly confident receiving weapons from the West and so... soldiers and common Ukrainian citizens are dying
  5. The support of Neo Nazi's in the Donbas region- yes, it's true. America is supporting Nazi's just because they are fighting Russia (but shhhhh, you're not supposed to know this!)
  6. The continuous propping up of the very corrupt Ukrainian regime which favors the West's interest. Read up on the Orange Revolution, and see why NATO and the United States removed the democratically elected president, Victor Yanukovych - because you know, he wasn't going to participate in the corruption of the West.

You can also refer to the Hunter Biden scandal. What a lot of people don't know is that when Trump called Ukraine, it was Zelensky at the other end of that call. Zelensky refused to have the pedo Hunter and his 50K a month position at Burisma investigated. Of course not, 10% of that money was going to the big guy and the corrupt Ukrainian establishment was perfectly okay with it.

And ya'll are seriously worried about delivery workers whom at the end of the day, work their asses off delivering the food ya'll are too lazy to get yourselves? These people work for such little money it's ridiculous! Plus if they're using the GrubHub and Seamless applications they're paying a fee and who knows maybe even being taxed.

Oh and to your point, I don't believe that we should engage in war just to provide good jobs for us. What you're saying is that it's okay if people die as long as we have good jobs. Don't get me started on the very corrupt military industrial complex. These people have killed half the globe to get "good money"

Old 10-05-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Lets see the ROI that Americans are getting back from spending Trillions on the very useless war in Ukraine:
  1. Nuclear bomb threats from Putin (I don't believe he's bluffing and you won't either once a city is hit)
  2. Inflation - since Russia banned oil into Europe and the Saudi's just cut US oil by millions of barrels since they do not respect neither Biden nor NATO
  3. More Inflation - since the very corrupt comedian of who is Zelensky is basically getting a blank check to write off whatever expense he writes off as war (who do you think is paying for this? Ah yes... the American tax payer!) By the way, the other day, my job gave me a small bonus of 1000 over COVID, and the stupid thing was taxed in half! I couldn't believe my eyes!
  4. Lives lost, since the moron of a clown of who is Zelensky, REFUSES to negotiate for peace, since he feels arrogantly confident receiving weapons from the West and so... soldiers and common Ukrainian citizens are dying
  5. The support of Neo Nazi's in the Donbas region- yes, it's true. America is supporting Nazi's just because they are fighting Russia (but shhhhh, you're not supposed to know this!)
  6. The continuous propping up of the very corrupt Ukrainian regime which favors the West's interest. Read up on the Orange Revolution, and see why NATO and the United States removed the democratically elected president, Victor Yanukovych - because you know, he wasn't going to participate in the corruption of the West.

You can also refer to the Hunter Biden scandal. What a lot of people don't know is that when Trump called Ukraine, it was Zelensky at the other end of that call. Zelensky refused to have the pedo Hunter and his 50K a month position at Burisma investigated. Of course not, 10% of that money was going to the big guy and the corrupt Ukrainian establishment was perfectly okay with it.

And ya'll are seriously worried about delivery workers whom at the end of the day, work their asses off delivering the food ya'll are too lazy to get yourselves? These people work for such little money it's ridiculous! Plus if they're using the GrubHub and Seamless applications they're paying a fee and who knows maybe even being taxed.

Oh and to your point, I don't believe that we should engage in war just to provide good jobs for us. What you're saying is that it's okay if people die as long as we have good jobs. Don't get me started on the very corrupt military industrial complex. These people have killed half the globe to get "good money"
Again for the people in the backkkkkk! Come thru @stormgal!

"And ya'll are seriously worried about delivery workers"

PERIOD.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Again for the people in the backkkkkk! Come thru @stormgal!

"And ya'll are seriously worried about delivery workers"

PERIOD.
The times I’ve been home sick alone and had to order in - those delivery workers are a blessing

Old 10-05-2022, 12:43 PM

Expect more inflation over this war. The Saudis have now aligned with Russia:

OPEC cuts oil production by 2 MILLION barrels a day
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...as-prices.html

It’s time to call an end to that war - not escalate it.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The times I’ve been home sick alone and had to order in - those delivery workers are a blessing
yes I always give a decent tip. Especially in the winter

Old 10-05-2022, 01:44 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,282,003 times
Quote:

First, spare me the Tucker Carlson talking points. I agree with him on domestic policy for the most part but on this he's out of his element. He reminds me of Pat Buchanan back in the day.

Neo-Nazis? Negotiating for peace when an opposing force is occupying your land? I hope that if an opposing force occupies parts of the US, you won't be suing for negotiations /peace and instead doing what you can to fight. The US is a big country with additional territories overseas. Do you know realize how it got that way?

Inflation? That ship sailed a long time ago when the Federal government printed $6 trillion in hard cash and the federal reserve kept rates near zero for years. Nuclear threats? If you're so worried, you should be all for disarming everyone of nuclear weapons because according to your logic, nuclear weapons give carte blanche to do whatever one wants and others have to bow down.

I rather have Ukrainians fight Putin, if they do choose, than have Americans fight in 5 or 10 years. How many American soldiers lives is worth a few tens of billions ( especially if we can literally just print more).

Secondly, my argument wasn't against delivery workers. It was that the city, instead of forcing the delivery workers' employers and customers to shoulder these costs, have taken to dumping taxpayer dollars instead. You don't think Door dash or Uber can afford to build out these spaces on their own? The city mandated that Uber drivers register as TLC agents. Did they give out these licenses for free?

The city likes to pass all types of new laws and taxes/fees. All they had to do was mandate that for X number of delivery workers, X sq ft of space is needed of these R&R spaces. Is there not plenty of vacant commercial space in the city?

Instead of paying $20 for a salad, now you'll pay $25 or Door dash/Uber can choose to eat that cost. Instead, in the usual haste to pump out another city sponsored program, the city is using taxpayer dollars to subsidize a private enterprise. If the city politicians believe these spaces are necessary than make it just like any other necessity for doing business in NYC for a particular vocation.

Last edited by Esacni; 10-05-2022 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-05-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
First, spare me the Tucker Carlson talking points. I agree with him on domestic policy for the most part but on this he's out of his element. He reminds me of Pat Buchanan back in the day.

Neo-Nazis? Negotiating for peace when an opposing force is occupying your land? I hope that if an opposing force occupies parts of the US, you won't be suing for negotiations and peace a ND instead fighting.

Inflation? That ship sailed a long time ago when the Federal government printed $6 trillion in hard cash and the federal reserve kept rated near zero for years. Nuclear threats? If you're so worried, you should be all for disarming everyone of nuclear weapons because according to your logic, nuclear weapons give carte blanche to do whatever one wants and others have to bow down.

Secondly, my argument wasn't against delivery workers. It was that the city, instead of forcing the delivery workers' employers and customers to shoulder these costs, have taken to dumping taxpayer dollars instead. You don't think Door dash or Uber can afford to build out these spaces on their own? The city mandated that Uber drivers register as TLC agents. Did they give out these licenses for free?

The city likes to pass all types of new laws and taxes/fees. All they had to do was mandate that for X number of delivery workers, X sq ft of space are needed of these R&R spaces. Is there not plenty of vacant commercial space in the city?

Instead of paying $20 for a salad, now you'll pay $25 or Door dash/Uber can choose to eat that cost. Instead, in the usual haste to pump out another city sponsored program, the city is using taxpayer dollars to subsidize a private enterprise. If the city politicians believe these spaces are necessary than make it just like any other necessity for doing business in NYC for a particular vocation.
I don’t watch Fox News. Fox and CNN are led by people whose interest is to divide this country.
And yes, Ukraine has a huge problem with neo Nazis. Check out this article written in 2018.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1GV2TY

As for negotiating for peace, do you even know why Putin went to war (which I disagree with)?
What do they want? Why are they invading Ukraine? It’s for a reason that the mainstream media won’t share, right? In any case, George Washington said, “No foreign entanglements!” For the record, Ukraine and Russia have been fighting for centuries on end! Leave us out of it is what I say.

You must be Eastern European. I don’t see how you’d want to risk NYC being nuked over a country over there or agreeing to kill half the world for a good paying job whilst seeing impoverished delivery folks as a huge problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City