Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 10:03 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How long does it take to charge an e-bike?
It depends a lot on the e-bike and the charger as there isn't much industry-wide standardization. Some are pretty fast and get you a near full top up in fifteen or twenty minutes. For me, I just battery swap them so when one's depleted there's another one available though without standardization, the idea of swapping stations probably won't work too well.

Not quite e-bikes, but one thing I really enjoyed using in Taiwan were Gogoro mopeds and their swapping stations. Mopeds on down to e-bikes and scooters are pretty well-suited for that because the swap can be done by hand given that the miles / kWh of their use cases is generally quite high, so the battery weight is something most adults and even a good deal of children can do by hand so it doesn't require additional machinery which would be pricey, clunky, and another point of failure. They cornered the market early though and have become so popular and have opened up their network and technology enough that other manufacturers in Taiwan have followed suit. That's unfortunately not been the case with e-bikes here or just about anywhere else.

It is pretty interesting how laws and regulations and the form of the city changes with technology. The city was a very different city with horses, and then streetcars, and then private automobiles and the form and function of city streets and institutions rapidly shifted to accommodate the succession of technologies. I would love to see an exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York on that. Hell, I'd love to work on that exhibit.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-07-2022 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 09:19 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,677 times
How lovely. Let's continue to find ways to spend taxpayers dollars to reward the illegal border crossers who help stuff the profits of a few wealthy delivery companies providing a mostly useless service for some lazy transplants who can't be bothered to walk to get their tacos.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I don’t watch Fox News. Fox and CNN are led by people whose interest is to divide this country.

You must be Eastern European. I don’t see how you’d want to risk NYC being nuked over a country over there or agreeing to kill half the world for a good paying job whilst seeing impoverished delivery folks as a huge problem
Trust me, these "delivery folks" are not impoverished. They certainly receive heaps more taxpayer dollars than our homeless do, it seems. I'd be curious to see how many "delivery folks" are legal visa holders or citizens.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:39 PM

64 posts, read 24,080 times
They are all illegals and everything they do is illegal. They make more than a lot of lower wage service sector jobs after taxes. There are many millions of these illegal workers in NYC and all need to be removed. They are about 1/3 of NYC’s population.

It is no wonder the streets are more dangerous with that many masked criminals riding on unlicensed mopeds and stolen ebikes. Everything they do is illegal.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citycab View Post
They are all illegals and everything they do is illegal. They make more than a lot of lower wage service sector jobs after taxes. There are many millions of these illegal workers in NYC and all need to be removed. They are about 1/3 of NYC’s population.

It is no wonder the streets are more dangerous with that many masked criminals riding on unlicensed mopeds and stolen ebikes. Everything they do is illegal.
Notwithstanding the shady things they very well might be doing, it boggles my mind how on earth these "delivery folks" are allowed to ride e-bikes on sidewalks, zoom past red lights, and a host of other illegal things without even a slap on the wrist. And yes, if they are illegal immigrants (most of them are), every last one should be deported and never allowed to enter the country ever again or be considered for any legal means of entry.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:13 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times
I hate to say it but ebike delivery is making NYC just like 3rd world countries where these tazmania devils are riding all over NYC without manners or following any regulation or order. I see bikes riding on sidewalks, right in the middle of traffic and they are technically illegal to be on car lanes. There's no liability insurance, many of the delivery people are extremely rude and low class. I don't want to see people get hurt but I have zero sympathy if these guys do when they tries to test car vs ebikes on the road. I have had many close calls on the roads with them and rarely with any cars.

Another major problem is many buildings have strict rules not allowing them inside due to fire hazard. There need to be regulation or else tragedy will happen again like the apt fire that put many families homeless due to someone with a cheap bike with an exploding battery.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:47 PM

64 posts, read 24,080 times
Nice, yeah the delivery invaders hate all of us to. Seriously. It is crazy this is happening with millions and millions of delivery invaders. It seems like a Stephen King flick, almost surreal, because we only have around 8 million people in the city and we have probably over 2 million delivery invaders running constant deliveries nonstop.

People are seriously ordering that much food? In some areas of Manhattan there are so many delivery invaders it is like an infestation.

One day I was walking downtown and a delivery invader was hit by a car in the middle of the road. The car did a hit and run, naturally. So I walk into the middle of the road to help wave traffic out of his way and I say yo are you okay buddy. He just got up and brushed himself off, would not make eye contact with me at all, then one of his amigos road up and stopped to make sure he got back on his delivery. But neither of them would even acknowledge me and he just got hit and I was out there making sure other drivers did not hit him again.

These delivery invaders. You never do know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City