Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 12:04 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times

Advertisements

For 5 years I have been trying to remember the name of a bar we frequented after an evening of Bridge. It probably closed sometime in the 1980's or a little later???

Can anyone help me? The small bar was located on the East Side of Third Avenue a few doors from 19th Street (I believe just SOUTH of 19th.)
It was owned/fronted by an outrageous queen commonly referred to as THE EMERALD QUEEN.
All my bridge buddies are gone into the ether, so nobody to ask.

Also, does anyone remember the weekly free bar publication whose name was just two letters? Basically, all advertising with one short feature and lots of good-looking scantily clad guys.

Something like HQ, GH. HX????

I have been Googling my ass off and find nothing.

TIA, I HOPE!

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-24-2022 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 04:21 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
For 5 years I have been trying to remember the name of a bar we frequented after an evening of Bridge. It probably closed sometime in the 1980's or a little later???

Can anyone help me? The small bar was located on the East Side of Third Avenue a few doors from 19th Street (I believe just SOUTH of 19th.)
It was owned/fronted by an outrageous queen commonly referred to as THE EMERALD QUEEN.
All my bridge buddies are gone into the ether, so nobody to ask.

Also, does anyone remember the weekly free bar publication whose name was just two letters? Basically, all advertising with one short feature and lots of good-looking scantily clad guys.

Something like HQ, GH. HX????

I have been Googling my ass off and find nothing.

TIA, I HOPE!
North Dakota ?, South Dakota ? Uncle Charlies South? Barefoot Boy? Beau Geste? Company?
Remembering places along and off of 3rd but the 19th St thing is perplexing me. Don't remember anything South of the 20's. Furthest South place on 3rd I remember was South Dakota...low 20's though. North Dakota was in the 30's.
Maybe send dm to Nightcrawler if he doesn't check in here ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-25-2022 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-25-2022, 06:39 AM

This little hole in the wall bar was the only East Side bar I frequented, like once a week for a year after bridge nights, other than my very favorite bar in the whole City, Uncle Charlie's East, up in the Seventies or Eighties on Second or Third Ave's. Huge mobbed bar with a weekend line to get in in the early 1970's. Met a six-monther there, my penultimate in 1973 before meeting my one and only and 'till death do us part...which it rudely did.

Funny thing: penultimate lover lived at 93rd and Madison and 37 years later I moved to 93rd St.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:50 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
This little hole in the wall bar was the only East Side bar I frequented, like once a week for a year after bridge nights, other than my very favorite bar in the whole City, Uncle Charlie's East, up in the Seventies or Eighties on Second or Third Ave's. Huge mobbed bar with a weekend line to get in in the early 1970's. Met a six-monther there, my penultimate in 1973 before meeting my one and only and 'till death do us part...which it rudely did.

Funny thing: penultimate lover lived at 93rd and Madison and 37 years later I moved to 93rd St.
Just curious if you ever made it to the Anvil or Ramrod back in the day?

Old 10-25-2022, 12:15 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
I was going to say South Dakota, that's the only place I remember.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:31 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I was going to say South Dakota, that's the only place I remember.
South Dakota and Company was further down. I met Georgio Canali at South Dakota back in 1989, and turned him down. Was I stupid, or what..??

Old 10-27-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Just curious if you ever made it to the Anvil or Ramrod back in the day?
They were regular haunts, Sunday afternoon at the Ramrod and Uncle Charlies (on Christopher) with people spilling out onto West Street were always a fun crowd. Anvil sex shows were fun Sundays.

Living in Jersey City, the Westside bars were most convenient.
I'd leave my car in Journal Square and take the PATH in.

In the seventies, I would drive to the East side bars...and actually find STREET PARKING withi a block of my destination.

Better days.

At 4AM this morning, I thought of the name of the magazine that has been eluding me for months: HX
Funny what your brain does at 4 AM.

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-27-2022 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-27-2022, 09:56 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
They were regular haunts, Sunday afternoon at the Ramrod and Uncle Charlies (on Christopher) with people spilling out onto West Street were always a fun crowd. Anvil sex shows were fun Sundays.

In the seventies, I would drive to the East side bars...and actually find STREET PARKING withi a block of my destination.

Better days.

At 4AM this morning, I thought of the name of the magazine that has been eluding me for months: HX
Thanks for this. I saw Al Pacino's 'Cruising' a few years ago and it got me fascinated with the world that used to exist off the West Side Highway back in the day. The Eagle (which they recently expanded) is the last surviving remnant of that era that still exists.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:35 AM

MB, the really incredible haunts were THE TRUCKS ...crazy anonymous sex in jam packed tractor trailers parked under the West Side Highway all weekend and THE PIERS, deserted and dilapidated but for the thousands of gay guys that would descend on them every night.

The powers that be couldn't tolerate this kind of behavior, so AIDS had to be invented to put an end to it all. But the Seventies in Manhattan were a time that would make Caligula blush. Everybody was unemployed (Two massive recessions) and the only game in town was SEX.

And the world has never seen ANYTHING like the Mine Shaft. Almost defies description.

It was the time THOSE WERE THE DAYS was really written for.

How I missed getting AIDS sometimes amazes me.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:40 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:

Better days.

Unrelated to your original question but related to what I bolded, it's good to know that happens to other people.

I was at lunch with some former coworkers one day, and someone mentioned another woman we'd worked with. I opened my mouth to ask a question about her, but someone else said something, and in that moment I lost her name. I worked with this woman for years, and she actually reported to me on one project. I could see her face in my mind, but I could not bring up her name.

It bugged me all through our lunch and for the rest of the day and night. I JUST COULD NOT RECALL THE NAME. It was a little scary, actually. Like it was RIGHT THERE but I couldn't call it up.

I fell asleep on my couch that night, and I woke up around 3 a.m., sat up, and said out loud "Isabelle A." It just came out of my mouth, unbidden.

Old brains are weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City