Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 04:05 AM

5,852 posts, read 2,970,163 times

Advertisements

Queens bar Grandstand closes after 35 years.

https://patch.com/new-york/queens/tr...early-35-years

Anyone been there ? I’m assuming the changing demographic of the are has doomed them in.
People don t go to their favorite dive to avoid wives no more. The castrated men now go straight home after work via remote controlled monitoring devices.
Or are people drinking less and there are less married people out there. Or has quality of life gone up that people drink no more ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 09:43 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
Dave, that's sad.

Speaking for one: Bars have priced themselves out of business.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:49 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,313,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Queens bar Grandstand closes after 35 years.

https://patch.com/new-york/queens/tr...early-35-years

Anyone been there ? I’m assuming the changing demographic of the are has doomed them in.
People don t go to their favorite dive to avoid wives no more. The castrated men now go straight home after work via remote controlled monitoring devices.
Or are people drinking less and there are less married people out there. Or has quality of life gone up that people drink no more ?
Not changing demographic. It's become quite pricey to eat out given how inflation is now out of control. Do you order take out? If you actually want to eat and be full, be prepared to spend $40 - 60 on quality grub. Eating out with some quality beer and food at my usual spots was $60 BEFORE inflation. No idea what it is now. I get beer at Whole Foods or specialty beer shops and drink at home and even that isn't cheap, but cheaper than going to a bar. For example a four pack of Chimay Blue is ~$30.00 at Whole Foods. Getting those out, one of my local spots doesn't even carry the blue one anymore. They charge $16.00 for ONE Chimay Red, which is nuts.

Another example... One of my lunch spots now charges $15-16 for a sandwich. Before it was $11-12... Fine, but the quality is not what it used to be, so there's that as well.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 11-01-2022 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-01-2022, 01:35 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,237,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Dave, that's sad.

Many people used to go to bars to meet dates/hook ups.

Apps have erased the need to do that now.

Old 11-01-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post

You are talking about those bars for kids with 25$ martinis.
Middle aged crowd goes to a bar to unwind, hang out with some friends and avoid home. Get some decent food and just socialize. It’s a social club with booze and music in it. The bars I’m talking about.
I’m a dive bar person. Used to love them. Still like it when I find a special one with some history.

Old 11-01-2022, 03:59 PM

May years ago there was Anna’s place in Rego park on QB.

That also was demolished a decade ago for some Sushi dump to open up.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:56 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,989,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
You are talking about those bars for kids with 25$ martinis.
Middle aged crowd goes to a bar to unwind, hang out with some friends and avoid home. Get some decent food and just socialize. It’s a social club with booze and music in it. The bars I’m talking about.
I’m a dive bar person. Used to love them. Still like it when I find a special one with some history.
Tell us more about what’s going on between you and your wife lately……are things still bearable for you at home? Bar is not a part of my growing up and social scenes and couldn’t share the desperation you feel towards closing bars. I do notice that there is a high turnover rate of restaurants in Flushing in the past few years. I eat out less frequently for various reasons. Things probably have been especially tough for hospitality business lately.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:04 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,411,764 times
Maybe the rent went up? Heard that’s been going on a lot with businesses

Old 11-01-2022, 09:05 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,411,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post

People from the app meets at bars, restaurants, & coffee shops.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:13 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,189,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Dave, that's sad.

You mean min wage, inflation, being shut down by government for a while….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City