Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 01:39 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
https://gothamist.com/news/more-than...e-unionization

To be clear, these are residents who are making a fraction of what a board certified MD makes. But they have passed their licensing exams and graduated med school.
Everyone should be in a union if they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 06:55 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
SEIU also has non-health care-related members. I'm 1199 and not a healthcare worker (not a healthcare facility, either). My chapter is not part of the League (Monte, NYU, etc), we have a stand-alone contract which is actually better than what the League has.

Pension, medical, dental, vision, and prescription are all 100% employer funded, there's a 403B & a 401K with employer matching up to 15%, tuition reimbursements, etc. There's childcare reimbursements, summer camp funding, lots and lots of other fringe benefits.

If you stay in-network with your health benefits; no copayments and no out-of-pocket costs. Even living out of state (employer is in the 5 boros), my insurance coverts to an Aetna plan widely accepted in my area and still at no cost to me.
Yup. I was in 1199 before---however, none of the places I worked would have employer matching retirement accounts since they were paying into the pension. You could do the retirement plan on your own, but no matching. You have a good deal. I'm hoping one day down the line to go back and hit a certain threshold.

NYU does a lot of side things (and often pays better) than the other 1199 health care places.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:36 AM

16,091 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Unions are great but can be abused.
I knew of a life time apprentice..................Pay within 90% minus the responsibility.
Nice gig.
Now more rights ?

Who is the fool in this picture?

Put a cap on residency.......

Do your time, strengthen your skills and move up or out. There are many others in line to fill the spot.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:57 AM

2,468 posts, read 2,767,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Unions are great but can be abused.
I knew of a life time apprentice..................Pay within 90% minus the responsibility.
Nice gig.
Now more rights ?

Who is the fool in this picture?

Put a cap on residency.......

Do your time, strengthen your skills and move up or out. There are many others in line to fill the spot.
Residency programs are a fixed term based on the specialty (3-7 years). No one stays a resident in perpetuity
, either you finish your program satisfactorily or you are weeded out Accredited Residency programs are monitored and overseen by AGME.

I think organizing into a union is a very slippery slope, honestly

Old 11-06-2022, 04:07 AM

16,091 posts, read 6,863,630 times
[quote=charmed hour;64404201]Residency programs are a fixed term based on the specialty (3-7 years). No one stays a resident in perpetuity
, either you finish your program satisfactorily or you are weeded out Accredited Residency programs are monitored and overseen by AGME.

I think organizing into a union is a very slippery slope, honestly[/QUOTE]

In this example ....Absolutely..

Question: Is it possible to move from one specialty to another ( every 3-7 yrs.) over the course of a life time?
If so, this is a hole that needs to be plugged.

Old 11-08-2022, 11:02 AM

[quote=Mr.Retired;64404213]
Quote:
Residency programs are a fixed term based on the specialty (3-7 years). No one stays a resident in perpetuity

Question: Is it possible to move from one specialty to another ( every 3-7 yrs.) over the course of a life time?
So, moving specialties is kind of a yes/no situation. Can you do it? Absolutely. Is it easy to do it? No

In order to specialize, you do a residency, and then for further specialization, a subspeciality (for example, General Surgeon (specialty) vs Hand Surgeon (subspecialty) you do a fellowship.

So all American medical school grads, in their final year, join the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) that's a system that sorts kids by interest into specialties (Internal Medicine, Surgery, and so forth). Many foreign graduates will also apply for American residencies through "The Match". There are actually fewer funded slots available than demand to account for attrition in medicine. But that's another issue for another day.

From there, the students apply to the various medical systems with that particular residency program. It's a lot of "paperwork" (digitally now) for students, medical schools, and residency programs. Programs select the student for their residency program. Can a student turn down where they "match" yes, do they often do it- no cause odds are you will be ass'd out in finding another program to take you.

And there are always a handful of students that are not selected and do not "match" their chosen specialty. From there, the mad dash is on with the med school working hard to get them a slot somewhere (usually winds up a year in Medicine and then a reapply to the Match).

Anyway, in order to complete your residency and move to a new specialty, you need to reapply to the Match. You will again start at "the bottom" of the medical doctor hierarchy and again, low pay as well (given your education and most likely debt) for another X number of years. That's if you actually match for a new residency.

It's a bit easier to switch specialities while in residency than it is to start a whole new path.

A resident can seek to transfer from one residency specialty to another- but they are on their own for that. Meaning, they do not apply through the NRMP and all the leg work is their own to handle. It's kind of like looking for a new job while working your present one, with the caveat you may need to interview on the other side of the country and move there in literally a very short time frame.

Old 11-08-2022, 12:35 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,033,505 times
[quote=Mr.Retired;64404213]
Quote:

Why would people want to stay a perpetual resident? Making substandard salaries while working long hours. When they can finish residency and then become a full fledged physician making upper 6 to 7 figures?

Old 11-12-2022, 07:33 AM

[quote=Tiredofnyclife;64417313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

Why would people want to stay a perpetual resident? Making substandard salaries while working long hours. When they can finish residency and then become a full fledged physician making upper 6 to 7 figures?
Again, you do not stay a resident in perpetuity. Residencies are a fixed period of time dependent on the speciality- 3-7 years.

Physicians complete residency and become an attending physician in the hospital system. They become the folks overseeing residents.

Changing residencies/specialties is not easy to do. It’s uncommon for a resident to decide to change specialties. Generally, they will further specialize into a sub specialty and hopefully, it’s more to their career goals.

By the time a medical students reaches their 4th year and enters the Match, they are generally all in on what they want to “be”, an ER doctor, a surgeon of some kind, a family practice doctor, etc. They’ve had enough clinical exposure at that point to make an informed decision for their trajectory.

Old 11-12-2022, 04:24 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,090,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Everyone should be in a union if they can.
I had a job with Brooklyn Union Gas and had an exempt management position and wasn’t part of the union but for some reason, some union rules applied to me. For example, everyone in my office worked a 37 1/2 hour week but there was a new union contract that agreed to a 40 hour work week for new employees. It was a shock to me when I found out my co-workers doing the same job had a shorter workday than me. I quit that job at the end of the first week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City