Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 07:55 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,086,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
About 200,000 teachers makes UFT the largest public single pay-scale in New York.

When I started working in high school, minimum wage was $6.
That same year the starting salary with a BA for a teacher was 43,461.

Today the minimum wage has increased 150% to $15.
If teacher salaries were the same, starting pay would be $108,642.
They are not. They are a flat 61,070. Only a 41% increase.

This is funneling real buying power from the solid middle class to workers in the minimum wage category.

... but all the blame goes to the 100 billionaires in NYC.

Drastic minimum wage increases do not funnel up.
or maybe educators in NY are overpaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 08:18 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
or maybe educators in NY are overpaid.
I can assure you quite a similar format is in play for most municipal jobs.

Can you explain your take on the math... would that mean the minimum wage hasn't risen enough?

Old 11-19-2022, 05:54 PM

5,685 posts, read 2,614,141 times
Why do people care so much what others make. You think it's too much then don't do delivery. Your jealous of their wage then do the job.

Old 11-19-2022, 07:51 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Why do people care so much what others make. You think it's too much then don't do delivery. Your jealous of their wage then do the job.
like hello?

Old 11-19-2022, 09:10 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
It's not essential but in no way is it a luxury. It's amazing how welfare thinking now permeates the city so much that progressives actually consider food deliveries and even dining out as 'luxuries'. Restaurants have always been a big part of middle-class life and vibrant middle-class neighborhoods in NYC. When the proposed $20/hour minimum wage finishes off half the restaurants in the city then the progressives will whine about that too.
Getting groceries delivered to one's doorstep is a luxury. That's not an opinion. It's a fact. Just like having someone do one's laundry or clean one's house. I'm not passing judgement on whether it's "good" or "bad" since it frankly doesn't matter. Whoever finds the aforementioned services of value, will partake in them. There are luxuries that I partake in that others may find little or no value in.

If I was asked a simply yes or no question as to "is dining out a luxury?", I would have to answer "yes". I come from an immigrant family. My parents literally never ate out or ordered in until I started working and took them out. If someone does something for you that is otherwise a basic life skill/ needed for survival, it is a luxury in my book.

Last edited by Esacni; 11-19-2022 at 09:20 PM..

Old 11-20-2022, 06:31 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
No one gives a rat's @ss what they make, as long as it doesn't impact their pockets, which this will do and people will just cut back. These have always been low-wage menial jobs, so why should anyone be paid as if they require serious skills? I use these third party apps for delivery sometimes and I tip appropriately and even go outside to meet them and I can't tell you how many of them can't even follow a simple GPS map, but yet they should be paid so well. Give me a break.

Yes, I know they are out in all sorts of weather (big deal), but EVERYONE is out in all sorts of weather. It's NYC and if you have to be in person to work, you go out in whatever is going on. If you can carry some packages of food and follow basic instructions, it's really not that complicated.

The salary should be comparable to the skill set. It has nothing to do with jealousy. What's happening with our society in general is everyone thinks they should be paid "beautiful" salaries for minimal work. That's just not the way the real world works, and if these people think that consumers will keep paying more and more for less and less, they are sadly mistaken. I now pay $40 - 50 for a basic order of two items. The fees with tip by themselves are $10+. Then there are the inflated food prices. Before you say anything, yes I have cut back. I don't order drinks or dessert. Those I make sure I have in advance from Whole Foods. I simply order less when I do order or get it myself because there is paying and then there is being ripped off. No skin off my back, but there is a breaking point where convenience becomes ridiculous from a price standpoint, and these workers will see that very soon.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

The salary should be comparable to the skill set. .
My man, I work with utter fools who do nothing and make $200K+. This isn't an isolated incident in my profession either.

If it's too expensive, find substitutes. Sometimes, the only way to win, is to not play the game.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPotMama View Post
Pierre, i think you are missing the bigger picture as a whole. This wage increase is a form of economic warefare against law abiding citizens. It has no end. It is a replacement act camouflaged as a pay raise.

American Computer programmer makes $100,000
Illegal food delivery makes $40,000

American Computer programmer makes $90,000
Illegal food delivery makes $50,000

American Computer programmer makes $80,000
Illegal food delivery makes $60,000

(Replacement occurs)

Illegal Computer programmer makes $70,000
American now doing food delivery makes $50,000

Illegal Computer programmer makes $80,000
American now doing food delivery makes $40,000

Illegal Computer programmer makes $90,000
American now doing food delivery makes $30,000
If it truly becomes too expensive, there will be less and less food delivery jobs available. It doesn't matter if the city sets the minimum wage at $100/hr if there is no work to do. The same clowns who cry about it being too expensive still utilize the service.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:55 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
My man, I work with utter fools who do nothing and make $200K+. This isn't an isolated incident in my profession either.

If it's too expensive, find substitutes. Sometimes, the only way to win, is to not play the game.
Just because there are some people that are incompetent and earn well does not mean we should encourage such behavior to become more widespread. As far as my situation, as I said, I am not going to be ripped off and already made adjustments. I either get it myself or order less, but that doesn't change my opinion on the matter. I have the same approach professionally. It's all about paying a fair price.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Just because there are some people that are incompetent and earn well does not mean we should encourage such behavior to become more widespread. As far as my situation, as I said, I am not going to be ripped off and already made adjustments. I either get it myself or order less, but that doesn't change my opinion on the matter. I have the same approach professionally. It's all about paying a fair price.
My comment was more a reaction to your comment of "The salary should be comparable to the skill set." That's not a valid argument since salaries are not and have never been comparable to skill sets. There are too many variables at play. I wish they were as well but sadly that's not the case in general. It does hold true down to the company level at times.

A valid argument against this is that government shouldn't be messing with wages in the first place. Especially with targeting wages in specific sectors.

This would only make sense if the objective is to force employers to pay a wage where the employees are no longer eligible for the various welfare benefits. However, knowing the politicians in this city, this is most likely not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City