Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 01:19 PM

93 posts, read 42,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Are belligerent Legal professionals automatically dismissed?

Or held in contempt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 04:01 AM

16,179 posts, read 6,921,504 times
Change of address and I.D. license to another state....................

Old 11-30-2022, 04:16 AM

107,030 posts, read 109,313,415 times
If it isn’t their primary home then advising them to commit tax and insurance fraud isn’t a great idea

Old 12-01-2022, 11:06 AM

1,159 posts, read 875,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I was issued one of these "failure to respond" subpoena when they kept sending notices to one of my old addresses. I called them up, explained the situation, and gave them my new address. Didn't hear from them for a good 5+ years.

With the way the city is run and the make-up of the city, do you really believe that the city is diligent in enforcing jury summons notices? The only people they can actually enforce it against are the people who care to respond to them. I'm not saying not to respond to notices but it's just like jaywalking. It's not widely (if ever) enforced. Especially since BDB's tenure.
Exactly! They do NOT issue a warrant for your arrest if they don't hear from you after initial summons is mailed. There could be many reasons people didn't receive their jury duty summons (lost in mail, out of the country, away on business trip, sent to wrong address or old address, etc..) If that were the case, most people nationwide would have arrest warrants. Sometimes, if the court doesn't receive your reply, they send a 2nd notice or could very well send someone to serve you personally if they choose to. An arrest warrant is only issued if the court is confident that you intentionally ignored your summons after several attempts to contact you. Therefore, (to the OP), do NOT ignore it. Most courts are understanding as long as you tell the truth. An elderly neighbor of mine received a summons stating they had to log in on Zoom for their first day of jury selection (here in NJ). My neighbor is old school and didn't have a webcam or even a smart phone. He called the following day (a day late), but explained his situation and was told no problem, dismissed.

Once I missed a summons because it was sent to my parents' house where I grew up and didn't find out about it until I visited them and saw I had mail. I simply called, told them mistake was on their end for sending it to wrong address. They simply pushed my date back a few more months. When it comes to jury duty, in most cases, the truth will set you free.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:43 PM

870 posts, read 419,129 times
When you show up for Juror Duty, before being dispatched to a courtroom, they ask people who have travel plans to show them proof. So if you are already abroad you should be ok.

Also, when in the courtroom m, you and other jurors have to answer questions about the case you are being presented. If you have more than a yes answer, you need to explain to the judge, the paralegals and the attorneys why you think it will affect your judgement. You can answer in front of everyone or in private.

A few hours later, they kick you out of the courtroom to decide whether they retain you or not then let you back in and let you know who’s excused.
If you are being excused, you’re not necessarily out for good, they call you back to the Assembly Room and you may ne called on another list to report the next day. Or they may tell you to call a number the next day after 6:00PM and an automated voicemail will tell you whether you’re done or you have to report back the next day.

Your best bet right now is to contact them and tell them your activity prevents you to be present.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:56 PM

1,159 posts, read 875,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
When you show up for Juror Duty, before being dispatched to a courtroom, they ask people who have travel plans to show them proof. So if you are already abroad you should be ok.

Also, when in the courtroom m, you and other jurors have to answer questions about the case you are being presented. If you have more than a yes answer, you need to explain to the judge, the paralegals and the attorneys why you think it will affect your judgement. You can answer in front of everyone or in private.

A few hours later, they kick you out of the courtroom to decide whether they retain you or not then let you back in and let you know who’s excused.
If you are being excused, you’re not necessarily out for good, they call you back to the Assembly Room and you may ne called on another list to report the next day. Or they may tell you to call a number the next day after 6:00PM and an automated voicemail will tell you whether you’re done or you have to report back the next day.

Your best bet right now is to contact them and tell them your activity prevents you to be present.
In NJ, your first day or two is via Zoom because it makes everything easier and that way only the jurors selected actually have to go in person for the trial. I am surprised NYC is not the same way now.

Old 12-10-2022, 09:22 PM

870 posts, read 419,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
In NJ, your first day or two is via Zoom because it makes everything easier and that way only the jurors selected actually have to go in person for the trial. I am surprised NYC is not the same way now.
NYC does everything to make its population's life a living hell.... That day I escaped juror duty, the idiot with the sadistic voice dispatching us sounded like he was taking pleasure in doing what he was doing and acknowledging that it was an inconvenience for some... like he was torturing us and enjoying it in a "don't worry, everything will be ok" type of sarcastic tone. I have never missed being at work that much !! It was endless !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City