Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 03:18 PM

134 posts, read 296,859 times

Advertisements

Hi, New Yorkers,

I am a high school math teacher in Houston TX with TX certification. I visit New York quite often for fun.

I am thinking about getting a job with NYC DOE as a public school math teacher, but don't know what I should do in terms of finding reasonably priced housing. (Teachers in NYC seem don't make more at all compared to here in Texas... Weird.)

How hard to find a teaching position these days?

Thanks ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 03:41 PM

1,064 posts, read 545,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiminpenumbra View Post
Hi, New Yorkers,

I am a high school math teacher in Houston TX with TX certification. I visit New York quite often for fun.

I am thinking about getting a job with NYC DOE as a public school math teacher, but don't know what I should do in terms of finding reasonably priced housing. (Teachers in NYC seem don't make more at all compared to here in Texas... Weird.)

Thanks ahead!
I don't know about teaching jobs, but finding "reasonably priced" apartments in the 5 boroughs usually just means moving to neighborhoods that aren't hip and possibly are what's sometimes called two-fare zones. An example of a two-fare zone is Maspeth, Queens. It just means the area is not served by subway and you have to take a bus to the train.

But I think you'd have to find the job first because it makes no sense to be commuting from Maspeth to somewhere deep in Brooklyn or the Bronx.

Staten Island tends to be the cheapest borough, I think.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:43 PM

Blog post on cheaper neighborhoods in Queens. https://streeteasy.com/blog/cheap-ne...s-for-renters/

Old 12-04-2022, 03:45 PM

Thanks, Metromoxo.

Old 12-04-2022, 04:37 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I don't know about teaching jobs, but finding "reasonably priced" apartments in the 5 boroughs usually just means moving to neighborhoods that aren't hip and possibly are what's sometimes called two-fare zones. An example of a two-fare zone is Maspeth, Queens. It just means the area is not served by subway and you have to take a bus to the train.

But I think you'd have to find the job first because it makes no sense to be commuting from Maspeth to somewhere deep in Brooklyn or the Bronx.

Staten Island tends to be the cheapest borough, I think.

Not as cheap as it once was. A 3br apartment in a nice SI neighborhood can rent in the $3K/month range.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:19 PM

870 posts, read 414,500 times
Quote:
Hi, New Yorkers,

Thanks ahead!
NYC Public School Teacher here (Physical Education).

Welcome to a world of delusions and dealing with sneaky people and petty traitors on a daily basis.

Also, it all depends on the type of school you will be in. My school is part of the NYC "Teachers of Tomorrow" program (A.K.A the schools where nobody wants to work, and even if you want to, the vetting process is such that you need to fit certain characteristics to be hired, My co-teacher and I were hired for P.E because we are tough guys, working-class background, grew up in a certain type of environment, live in the borough, and we don't break and back down).

Your average teacher in NYC quits after 3 years because of a number of factors. The administration is not necessarily here to support you and you will discover everything from A to Z on your own, there is no communication, and you will often hear about what is wrong, and never congratulated for the good that you do (Especially with the subject I teach).

Salary-wise, when you start, you are on the lowest end of the scale and you will need to provide the city with proof of education (Master's and more) to be adjusted and have your salary differential that will be paid retroactively. Your salary goes up every two years and in NYS your 30+ is necessary for your professional certificate (again, not savvy about the equivalent in Texas) but as soon as you provide proof of completion you yearly salary goes up $10,000.

If your potential school is part of the Teachers of Tomorrow program, you will be granted a yearly bonus of $3400 every year after a year and an effective or highly effective rating by your principal. But this bonus is really peanuts for what it is this type of school.

So yes, salaries are the highest in the country, but so are living expenses.

In terms of housing you should find something not only reasonably priced, but also reasonably accessible. I drive to my job and never use my parking placard because by the time I arrive there is no spot left, so I had to find the right average hour and the blocks where I am most likely to find parking (check alternate parking rules). Transportation other than your own vehicle will be discounted via a commuter card. I know Houstonians drive everywhere, but in New York there are areas where you simply cannot park, whether it is because you find no parking, or because it is simply not allowed in the daytime.

In terms of how easy it is to find a job, the bureaucratic process is.... typical, new teachers create a new teacher account on the DOE website, and look through the list of available jobs, and only once you have been hired, you have access to some intranet that will allow you to transfer to another school later, if need be. And the time to be hired varies depending on the season. The best time to be hired is summer, but they usually recruit you at the very last minute, a few weeks before school starts.

Decent schools with decent students rarely have openings available, and in the beginning you will be left with what nobody wants, and rightfully so; in many schools, including mine, you are a teacher, a social worker, a mediator, and a correction officer for the same price.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:33 PM

Hahaha...
Valuable info.
And I can tell you that it sounds the same just like here in Houston.

Thanks.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:07 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Hahaha...
Valuable info.
And I can tell you that it sounds the same just like here in Houston.

Thanks.
I don't know if I'd move to NYC to teach.

Salary is based on longevity, even though starting goes to 8 years.

Basically if you come in with 8+ years of experience you wont see a raise for another 5 years.

The pay is high at the high point of the scale, but as mentioned cost of living is also high.

Below are some of the biggest cities in the country and their 6th year salary pay for teachers.
As you can see by the comparison in rent- there is no correlation between cost of city and pay.

Year 6 - NYC - 66,540 - Avg 1 Bedroom Rent $4,333
Year 6 - Houston - 65,000 --------------------------------- $1,343
Year 6 - Chicago - 69,000 --------------------------------- $2,105
Year 6 - Miami - 48,917 --------------------------------- $2,635
Year 6 - Los Angeles - 57,530 --------------------------------- $3,150
Year 6 - Las Vegas - 50,500 --------------------------------- $1,375
Year 6 - Detroit - 44,785 --------------------------------- $1,150
Year 6 - Boston - 87,593 --------------------------------- $3,750
Year 6 - San Francisco - 67,741 --------------------------------- $4,407

Old 12-04-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I don't know if I'd move to NYC to teach.

Salary is based on longevity, even though starting goes to 8 years.

Basically if you come in with 8+ years of experience you wont see a raise for another 5 years.

The pay is high at the high point of the scale, but as mentioned cost of living is also high.

Below are some of the biggest cities in the country and their 6th year salary pay for teachers.
As you can see by the comparison in rent- there is no correlation between cost of city and pay.

Year 6 - NYC - 66,540 - Avg 1 Bedroom Rent $4,333
Year 6 - Houston - 65,000 --------------------------------- $1,343
Year 6 - Chicago - 69,000 --------------------------------- $2,105
Year 6 - Miami - 48,917 --------------------------------- $2,635
Year 6 - Los Angeles - 57,530 --------------------------------- $3,150
Year 6 - Las Vegas - 50,500 --------------------------------- $1,375
Year 6 - Detroit - 44,785 --------------------------------- $1,150
Year 6 - Boston - 87,593 --------------------------------- $3,750
Year 6 - San Francisco - 67,741 --------------------------------- $4,407
Average one bedroom rent is $4333? That must be Manhattan only.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:53 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Average one bedroom rent is $4333? That must be Manhattan only.
Others say average is $2022 for 1BR citywide, so I assume the pulled data source used Manhattan, though closeby Brooklyn and Queens pull the same rates and many 1BR in Manhattan far exceed $4333.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City