Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2022, 03:33 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,644,754 times

Advertisements

Penn station area is looking better with more tourists and less rampant vagrancy/drug use. I don’t know where they went but hopefully it’s a permanent situation.

The subways are still dirty & dingy with a lot of questionable people but I’ve seen less rampant psychotic outbreaks in the past couple of months. I’ve noticed the cops have receded from the subway since Hochul’s election win. Fare evasion is absolutely rampant.

To be optimistic, I think things are looking up despite all of the challenges this city still faces.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 03:43 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,820,635 times
I would like to hear more positive experiences like this one as well. Just returned back to NYC and have been avoiding the trains for almost half a year. What am I to expect? I mostly travel the lines along UWS and Financial District.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:48 AM

793 posts, read 495,557 times
Can't speak to Penn station, subways or Manhattan. I avoid them all like the plague.

But I can say that Queens is going to hell. High speed police pursuits, car jackings, gun point street robberies, central american gangs fighting each other, machette attacks, random robberies, constant retail theft, car theft like the 80s and, the kicker, home invasions at 3am in historically nice single family home quiet neighborhoods. This is Queens in 2022.

The NYPD has been told to pull back, don't aggressively police and, by no means, DO NOT ENGAGE or profile young black and hispanic criminals driving around in their cars with tinted windows and carrying guns. So this is what we are left with!

Here's a sample of crime that we never had prior to 2020's BLM riots.

https://flushingpost.com/wild-car-ch...n-firing-shots

Old 12-15-2022, 08:49 AM

6,696 posts, read 6,060,517 times
Does anyone know if Vornado is continuing with their mega Penn station project? The last I heard, they were going to build a huge building catering to women and minorities in business, and a massive skyline-altering commercial tower (bigger than the Empire State Building) as part of the Penn Station revitalization program. The entire area is going to look like Times Square with the big screens, etc. I then heard they abandoned the project because of declining interest in commercial space.

Old 12-15-2022, 08:50 AM

25,395 posts, read 37,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Penn station area is looking better with more tourists and less rampant vagrancy/drug use. I don’t know where they went but hopefully it’s a permanent situation.

The subways are still dirty & dingy with a lot of questionable people but I’ve seen less rampant psychotic outbreaks in the past couple of months. I’ve noticed the cops have receded from the subway since Hochul’s election win. Fare evasion is absolutely rampant.

To be optimistic, I think things are looking up despite all of the challenges this city still faces.

Thoughts?
I agree, and I was not very rah-rah for Adams before the election, and voted for him only because I consider Curtis Sliwa totally NUTS.

My neighborhood (UES)is clean and relatively safe.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:09 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,270,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I agree, and I was not very rah-rah for Adams before the election, and voted for him only because I consider Curtis Sliwa totally NUTS.

My neighborhood (UES)is clean and relatively safe.
When has the UES not been "clean and relatively safe"? Have to go back to the 80's?

Old 12-19-2022, 12:00 AM

1,052 posts, read 454,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
When has the UES not been "clean and relatively safe"? Have to go back to the 80's?
Between Lex and 5th, 59-86th, never. Not even during the 80s. That was always a hoity toity area.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:58 AM

5,877 posts, read 2,989,444 times
Hard to say,
Still plenty of bums on subways. The other say I saw two of them smoking crack on the steps.
Never a shortage of crazy characters at penn.

As a NYer you learn to just accept it would be interesting to see if Sliva was a mayor. Just for comparison.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:52 AM

25,395 posts, read 37,147,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
And that's why I live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City