Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 09:42 AM

650 posts, read 451,321 times

Advertisements

It seems like it rains a lot in NYC instead of snow, and they have lots of temps in the 40s as well. Furthermore, it rarely gets below 0F. Even Chicago is expected to reach like -6F most years, and I would say Chicago only gets cold two months of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 10:07 AM

209 posts, read 100,163 times
I remember it being colder when I was a child like 20ish years ago, but nowadays the winters here are mild if anything. Never really understood people saying NY gets brutally cold in the winter.

Old 12-17-2022, 11:01 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,095,963 times
I agree. It rarely goes down to the teens in temp.

Old 12-17-2022, 11:19 AM

1,052 posts, read 453,490 times
Uncanny timing of this thread as we're about to have the coldest Christmas in a very long time.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:12 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,818,711 times
Jan-Feb is when NYC winters start.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:31 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,305,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
It seems like it rains a lot in NYC instead of snow, and they have lots of temps in the 40s as well. Furthermore, it rarely gets below 0F. Even Chicago is expected to reach like -6F most years, and I would say Chicago only gets cold two months of the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
I remember it being colder when I was a child like 20ish years ago, but nowadays the winters here are mild if anything. Never really understood people saying NY gets brutally cold in the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I agree. It rarely goes down to the teens in temp.
This isn't really winter. We're still in Fall. Winters have become milder here, but it used to be colder. One thing that can be relentless is the wind, which is really what makes it tough for long periods of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Right...

Old 12-17-2022, 06:54 PM

5,838 posts, read 2,958,554 times
Hoping for lots of snow.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:39 PM

1,151 posts, read 863,547 times
Quote:
Correct. Even as a kid, I rarely recall having a "white Christmas" here in the NYC area. Some years are colder than others, yet I would not say they are becoming more mild. Just about EVERY winter, we get a week or two of terrible brick temperatures when the highs are only in the teens or low 20s. This normally happens in January. Every winter we also normally get a day or two of very rare warm temps in the 60s. Some winters are more snowy, others more rainy, and others very icy. There is zero evidence that winters are becoming warmer each year. Just last year we had days the temps didn't even reach 20.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:00 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,132,363 times
Quote:

Even up here in Canuckistan, I consider winters start in earnest in January. That is when the witch’s proverbial mammaries hit the spot.

Sure, we had a snowstorm in November, and the snow stayed on the ground for a week but today’s snowstorm was more substantial and will also comtinue into tomorrow.

There is a always a chance it turns to ice from rain and a sudden drop in temperature, that is a dreaded scenario every year. January and february are brutal up here. I was,once in NY around Xmastime and once late March in Boston. Both trips featured extreme cold. In fact that time in Boston was a record cold day about 6 years ago, and we practically ran from our car to an eating place and back, before leaving for Montreal.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:02 PM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,923 times
The bigger thing that I notice is on the backend when it's almost May by the time you can sit out on the deck comfortably. I played sports all through high school and college and remember freezing in the outfield at practices in March but being grateful for April's warmth (but not the rain that got many games postponed or cancelled). I don't remember it being as cold throughout April except over the past 15 years or so. I definitely agree that winters don't feel nearly as cold as they used to not very long ago, but definitely notice how long it takes for the cold weather to finally go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City