Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2022, 04:23 PM

209 posts, read 313,777 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been thinking about taking up a non-subway form of transportation in NYC, and the idea of an electric scooter came up. A few E-Scooter in NYC for dummies questions:

1. Do you need a permit or license to ride one in NYC?

2. To clarify, these scooters are used in bike lanes rather than streets? If so, are there enough uptown/downtown as well as crosstown bike lanes to reach most places?

3. How safe is riding an e-scooter in NYC?

4. How much does it cost on a weekly/monthly basis to recharge scooters? Where can you recharge them?

I would be interested in any thoughts.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 08:47 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,036,082 times
1. Judging from the ppl who ride recklessly and NYPD lack of enforcement, no.

2. See above. NYC has been overtaken by 3rd worlders who import their crazy taxi driving skills onto streets, sidewalks, bike lanes, etc. You have full on motorcycles using bike lanes. They also don't care which way they're driving into oncoming traffic.

3. Not very.

4. Go to the local parks where the food app delivery drivers hang out. If you don't look like an immigration agent they will be happy to tell you for a small donation.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:08 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times
The who.e concept seem really unsafe. With those tiny little wheels going pretty fast, hit a pothole, a d you'll be airborne, until you're not.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:02 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
My building specifically forbids them from the garages, bike rooms and apartments because it is thought the lithium batteries present a fire hazard, as they do, especially when charging.

So, unless you own a Chinese restaurant, e-bikes would seem to be a no-no.

Old 01-07-2023, 08:49 AM

37,232 posts, read 39,498,461 times
This is the wrong forum for getting much useful feedback as most people on this forum are on the older side and pearl-clutching side so it's really unlikely you'll get much feedback based on any actual usage.

I assume you're talking about the electric scooters that are more like kick scooters rather than the moped sort like a vespa.

You don't need a permit. They make sense to use in bike lanes, but ultimately because of the way people block bike lanes and that while the system is more extensive than before but still not everywhere, you'll find yourself out of the bike lane fairly often. It's unfortunately a lot of use your best judgment, but be conservative at first. The same goes with safety. Recharging the scooter in terms of a kick scooter is going to be negligibly cheap and they usually are light and fold up so you just charge them at home or work as you take them indoors with you.

For electric moped sort of scooters, I have no experience in NYC outside of Revel scooters.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:18 PM

18 posts, read 8,108 times
I have noticed a rapid increase of invaders riding mopeds doing their illegal deliveries that way. When invaders have mopeds they ride on the roads as if they were licensed motor vehicle drivers, which is illegal. Then as they see fit they just ride their mopeds on sidewalks and anywhere else with no care in the world.

They are already breaking so many laws by being here and there are so many invaders now riding mopeds and ebikes and cars, trucks, you name it. They are breaking so many laws it would be impossible to police them all.

My solution would be to get ICE to arrest and detain and send every last invader to jail where they belong back to what countries they slithered out from.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:46 PM

18 posts, read 8,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The who.e concept seem really unsafe. With those tiny little wheels going pretty fast, hit a pothole, a d you'll be airborne, until you're not.
Saw this scenario just the other day. An invader delivery guy had a full ambulance come to him for some issue like that. The paramedics were like Do you need us to take you to the hospital? I’m thinking, how much is that going to set back us taxpayers paying for this invaders hospital stay?

I was thinking that invader can pedal his butt right back to the lying and thieving country he came from and Proton! We do not need him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City