Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 AM

130 posts, read 532,751 times

Advertisements

I think the reason some refer to the borough of Manhattan which is part of NYC as "The City" is because of its epic-ness and extreme development not just when compared to the other boroughs but compared to anywhere in the world and any city in the world. Manhattan, an island borough and top tourist destination known as the cultural and economic center of the United States, housing the UN headquarters, wall street and the largest stock exchanges in the world and Broadway and top tourist destination Times Square (also known as Center of the Universe), the skyscraper rich skyline of which contains relatively small buildings that dwarf anything in the other 4 boroughs, with its super-dense population, and the most expensive real estate on Earth, makes the other 4 boroughs by comparison look like boring sprawling forgettable farmland in the country.

Let's go to The City.

Last edited by campers; 08-11-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 09:05 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
I was in Sacramento for a couple of weeks a few years ago. Over one of the weekends I visited San Francisco for a day. When I got back to Sacramento, an associate who lived there asked me what I had done over the weekend. When I told her I had been to San Francisco, she said, "I haven't been to the city in a while. I need to go."

Knowing I was from South Carolina on the other side of the continent, she asked if I had ever been to New York. I said yes. Then she asked me how it compared to San Francisco. I said San Francisco is large and dense. New York is that on a permanent major dose of steroids.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I've heard people outside of NYC refer to NYC as "The City".
We in NJ call it The City, but apparently, some South Jerseyans refer to Philly that way. There was a guy on the NJ forum who married someone from South Jersey and lived down there, and when she said she wanted to go into the city, he got all excited except when he found out she meant Philadelphia.

At a high school reunion held in North Jersey, I told a classmate's husband, from Colorado, that I work in the city. He said "what city?" I wanted to say "WTF city do you THINK I mean? Do you know where you ARE?" But, I was nice and told him "New York".

Old 08-11-2015, 11:33 AM

100 posts, read 89,888 times
because boring suburb is not the city, suburb is village.

P.S.

because we have NY state and NY city.

P.P.S

because people addict to TV and movies. everygirl saw "sex in the city"

Old 08-11-2015, 11:34 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
We here in the Bronx/Southern Westchester County area will say either "The City" or "Downtown".

Old 08-12-2015, 06:29 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I was in Sacramento for a couple of weeks a few years ago. Over one of the weekends I visited San Francisco for a day. When I got back to Sacramento, an associate who lived there asked me what I had done over the weekend. When I told her I had been to San Francisco, she said, "I haven't been to the city in a while. I need to go."

Knowing I was from South Carolina on the other side of the continent, she asked if I had ever been to New York. I said yes. Then she asked me how it compared to San Francisco. I said San Francisco is large and dense. New York is that on a permanent major dose of steroids.

I have friends and relatives in Oakland and Berkeley and they refer to San Francisco the same way, The City.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:21 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Congestion pricing plans to tax those coming into the city center applies to those north of 60th st and on Long Island (Brooklyn included).
The coincides with the bridges, and will require a state measure to pass which in the past has not even come on the table, being so ridiculous.

Is 59th and lower the urban core? For sure. However it is the same city as Washington heights and Staten Island.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:48 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Again until the act of incorporation New York City referred to just that, Manhattan. This was often shortened to just "the city".

Prior to the act though smaller than today Brooklyn was it's own city. Richmond (Staten Island), Bronx and Queens were counties. Am not that old but remember well seeing "Richmond County" for Staten Island on various official forms and such.

These counties had towns of their own towns which were divided into neighborhoods. It was common and still is to hear persons on Staten Island ask "what town are you from", meaning of course area. Background: History, Geography, and Community - Staten Island, Richmond County, NY, Genealogy Resources

You still see "county" used for things like district attorney, court houses and such.

Over the years off and on there has been talk of making Westchester County part of New York City. Not likely to happen now but some seriously considered it a viable option.

One reason why NYC government is such mess is that over the years not only did the five counties have to cobble together a city government but had to do so in ways that protected some of the sovereignty held by the former independent city (Brooklyn) and counties.

Former NYC Board of Estimate was on such quirk but it got shot down by the SCOTUS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...rd_of_Estimate

However each of the boroughs still have an elected president though the office is more one of patronage than anything else.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
It evolved just like many other sayings. The Bronx used to be land owned by the Bronk family. People would say they were going to the Bronk's, which eventually became The Bronx.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
It evolved just like many other sayings. The Bronx used to be land owned by the Bronk family. People would say they were going to the Bronk's, which eventually became The Bronx.
Right, wrong and wrong. Yes the Bronck family did own the land but other prominent families began making headway like the Morris family. As for why the Bronx is called the Bronx? Because the Bronx never had a name actually. Bronx was divided up by North new York in the south Bronx. Central Bronx was called West farms and east Bronx was part Westchester. I'm not sure about West Bronx. However the Bronx river ran through the peninsula, so the term the Bronx got stuck thanks to the Bronx river, which is the only natural river in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City