Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 04:42 PM

14,112 posts, read 14,072,038 times

Advertisements

NYC migrant population could hit 100,000 by end of 2023 that is 1% of the city population

Mayor Adams issued a clarion call Friday for Gov. Hochul to immediately help his administration house Latin American asylum seekers amid concern that the city’s shelter and emergency housing population could surpass 100,000 in coming weeks due to the seemingly endless influx of migrants

In the past week alone, Adams said more than 3,100 migrants have arrived in the city, most of them after crossing into the U.S. from the southern border in hopes of obtaining asylum. In total, more than 40,000 migrants fleeing poverty and violence in their home countries have poured into the city since last spring, and Adams said his advisers soon “anticipate being unable to continue sheltering arriving asylum seekers on our own.”

Earlier in the day, Adams said his administration is now predicting the city may shell out as much as $2 billion by the end of 2023 on housing

According to the Department of Homeless Services’ latest census, 68,519 people were sleeping in city shelters this past Wednesday, an all-time high. That tally does not include migrants staying in the city’s crowded Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Centers

The city has so far spent $366 million since asylum seekers started arriving last April.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul’s office did not immediately respond to the request.

NYC mayor is expected to visit the border on Saturday to see how bad things are

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...vi4-story.html

Last edited by BPt111; 01-13-2023 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 05:06 PM

46 posts, read 31,890 times
Hey man, seeing you write often on the Connecticut form, could there be a way to aid in perhaps alleviating the NY situation to willing municipalities and perhaps communities with largely immigrants or their 1st gen children like Port Chester, Northern NJ, Yonkers, Newburgh, Bridgeport and Danbury CT? As a Mexican American myself (1st gen teen) I'd be glad to support this sector of the population, not that me being Mexican American have anything to do with helping people or not, shouldn't be the case but my point I'm sure there is a willing populous in these places to receive and the issue would be A) house em, a hotel, a complex B) offer public education in the Spanish language for the kids, provide basic job opportunities for the adults, have a local agency speak with these migrants one on one, their skills back home and any available job needs in the local market (hey landscaping in Greenwich or whatnot, even Spanish speaking restaurants nearby, I'm ignorant on this) in the and hope none of the adults speak an indigenous language, especially Central Americans and South Americans. Plus, all of these new migrants will pay taxes and hopefully their children or them will peruse higher education if possible, contributing to the local economies of these places, buying or renting homes, opening businesses, like Newburgh, something of a revival cause of the immigrants, and how Bridgeport has all those ethnic restaurants on every major thoroughfare. An issue IK of myself is just that the public high schools in my hometown overheard from a councilor how there's a lack of again, ”more keep coming everyday” in the case of Brazilians here and a 20.9% of the kids are English language learners according to some data at my HS. Where would we house em, any opposition? Any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2023, 09:07 AM

2,325 posts, read 1,177,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC migrant population could hit 100,000 by end of 2023 that is 1% of the city population

Mayor Adams issued a clarion call Friday for Gov. Hochul to immediately help his administration house Latin American asylum seekers amid concern that the city’s shelter and emergency housing population could surpass 100,000 in coming weeks due to the seemingly endless influx of migrants

In the past week alone, Adams said more than 3,100 migrants have arrived in the city, most of them after crossing into the U.S. from the southern border in hopes of obtaining asylum. In total, more than 40,000 migrants fleeing poverty and violence in their home countries have poured into the city since last spring, and Adams said his advisers soon “anticipate being unable to continue sheltering arriving asylum seekers on our own.”

Earlier in the day, Adams said his administration is now predicting the city may shell out as much as $2 billion by the end of 2023 on housing

According to the Department of Homeless Services’ latest census, 68,519 people were sleeping in city shelters this past Wednesday, an all-time high. That tally does not include migrants staying in the city’s crowded Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Centers

The city has so far spent $366 million since asylum seekers started arriving last April.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul’s office did not immediately respond to the request.

NYC mayor is expected to visit the border on Saturday to see how bad things are

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...vi4-story.html

NYC's absurd 'right to shelter' law is going to bankrupt NYC which is why Adams needs to challenge the law in court. Adams has to put NYC taxpayers first, and illegal alien criminals and illegal alien gang members last.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:47 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,289,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Lima View Post
Hey man, seeing you write often on the Connecticut form, could there be a way to aid in perhaps alleviating the NY situation to willing municipalities and perhaps communities with largely immigrants or their 1st gen children like Port Chester, Northern NJ, Yonkers, Newburgh, Bridgeport and Danbury CT? As a Mexican American myself (1st gen teen) I'd be glad to support this sector of the population, not that me being Mexican American have anything to do with helping people or not, shouldn't be the case but my point I'm sure there is a willing populous in these places to receive and the issue would be A) house em, a hotel, a complex B) offer public education in the Spanish language for the kids, provide basic job opportunities for the adults, have a local agency speak with these migrants one on one, their skills back home and any available job needs in the local market (hey landscaping in Greenwich or whatnot, even Spanish speaking restaurants nearby, I'm ignorant on this) in the and hope none of the adults speak an indigenous language, especially Central Americans and South Americans. Plus, all of these new migrants will pay taxes and hopefully their children or them will peruse higher education if possible, contributing to the local economies of these places, buying or renting homes, opening businesses, like Newburgh, something of a revival cause of the immigrants, and how Bridgeport has all those ethnic restaurants on every major thoroughfare. An issue IK of myself is just that the public high schools in my hometown overheard from a councilor how there's a lack of again, ”more keep coming everyday” in the case of Brazilians here and a 20.9% of the kids are English language learners according to some data at my HS. Where would we house em, any opposition? Any thoughts?
How would you “help” these immigrants?
Do you really think they’d pay more in taxes than they take out of the system? That’s the entire issue currently. These aren’t single migrant men like it used to be decades ago. These are mostly women and children. They will take far more from the system in welfare benefits than they will put in via taxes. This isn’t to disparage them. This is just reality. The most lucrative “unskilled” immigrant jobs tend to be male dominated (construction, back of house restaurant work, general physical labor).

I don’t fault them for wanting to come to the US. In fact, I believe that they’re the smart ones who are giving their children a better future. On the other hand, NYC politicians have created a domestic welfare state that eats up most of the city’s revenue. There are no budget surpluses and they’re not willing to cut welfare programs lest they lose voters.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:18 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,014,199 times
Let's see how welcoming NYC is. The city is getting precisely what it deserves -- more migrants and illegals.

Old 01-15-2023, 12:37 AM

32,094 posts, read 27,341,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
NYC's absurd 'right to shelter' law is going to bankrupt NYC which is why Adams needs to challenge the law in court. Adams has to put NYC taxpayers first, and illegal alien criminals and illegal alien gang members last.
I've said this many times; NYC's "right to shelter" comes from NYS's constitution which lone among fifty states contains a clause mandating state "care for the poor".

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/9/19/23...sylum-homeless

https://citylimits.org/2022/09/20/wh...who-needed-it/

City could try to change things, but that would mean going back to court seeking permission to revise settlements in various legal proceedings including Callahan v. Carey, good luck with that.

Old 01-15-2023, 07:18 PM

46 posts, read 31,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
How would you “help” these immigrants?
Do you really think they’d pay more in taxes than they take out of the system? That’s the entire issue currently. These aren’t single migrant men like it used to be decades ago. These are mostly women and children. They will take far more from the system in welfare benefits than they will put in via taxes. This isn’t to disparage them. This is just reality. The most lucrative “unskilled” immigrant jobs tend to be male dominated (construction, back of house restaurant work, general physical labor).

I don’t fault them for wanting to come to the US. In fact, I believe that they’re the smart ones who are giving their children a better future. On the other hand, NYC politicians have created a domestic welfare state that eats up most of the city’s revenue. There are no budget surpluses and they’re not willing to cut welfare programs lest they lose voters.
That’s true. We’d have to see the percentages of the revenue to say the word most, but that’s a concern. It’s women and children joining single men right? The father would have to maintain the mother but if both parents work the children are more susceptible to a life of crime and drop out of school, it’s true for Mexicans in NYC according to a NY Times article I read a while back on the… 150k… 350k was it I forgot Mexican population, since in the 80s and 90s to today as their populations started to skyrocket here for the first time in a city that had just 3,000 Mexicans in 1970, teens formed gangs cause of hostility is the way it was written idk. Point is higher crime rates for the youth and more droppouts as they have to support their families. Just look up “Mexican” in the Times search box if you have a subscription. The standard of life yeah it’s large, it’s an upgrade from perhaps… keep in mind I believe about half or a little less have high school education and what according to a 90s study found that Mexicans living in poverty here in the city in the 90s, since they come from the rural regions of Puebla, then Oaxaca and Chiapas (the poorest state) the ones under federal poverty are making 4x as much as their family is living on with …$800 was it a month. Im ignore ent but if my mom mentioned that a box of pizza is… think $12 before the pandemic but way out of the hands of average families. It’s a study named “Newyorktitlan” from the 90s look it up. Most migrants now are from central and South America…. but on average yes the average wage is lower. I’m not sure it’s all case specific. Every person and family is different. For the other guy on the subreddit I’m going to make an assumption and assume their not majority criminals, (only that yes, crossing the border is a felony) besides that however it’s understandable, but again I’m not there at the moment to check if each person was a criminal back home or not… and uh… the crime in El Salvador… was the highest a few years ago it’s often cited as the reason people leave. This is all from muscle memeory I’ll have to go back to the article. Point is your right. Idk man. My tiny hometown of 150k an hour north the school system (I’m in HS) at the beginning of the year had was it 1,000 more English learners join since last year, mostly Brazilians I’m getting. Hold up how much is the city spending I’ll have to look at the article again I forgot.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:07 AM

5,936 posts, read 3,053,520 times
I feel bad for people who try to come here legally. Many of her are a lot more qualified than what we are getting from down south .
With less and less blue collar work here, what is the point of letting blue collar workers come here illegally, unless you just want to destroy the country. It’s out in the open now.

Old 01-16-2023, 07:45 AM

5,082 posts, read 2,207,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Let's see how welcoming NYC is. The city is getting precisely what it deserves -- more migrants and illegals.
Yep, they wanted this so let them have it

Old 01-16-2023, 05:24 PM

18,519 posts, read 31,785,393 times
and we have given Ukraine billions of dollars, yet were a mess here.
close the dam borders, and tell the people to go back home,

we can't even take care of our own people here, how the phucque are we supposed to take care of thousands of migrants?????.

weren't we supposed to make Americans come first, I guess with this dumb administration, it isn't happening......................

who needs addams to go to the border, we already know what t he situation is down there, he needs to do something here, and let the dumb governor give him some help, she is another useless public figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City