Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 10:11 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Macy’s also sells quality items and while they are also expensive, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than Bloomingdale’s.
Macy's and Bloomingdale's are not in the same league whatsoever. That's like comparing Trader Joe's to Whole Foods in terms of equivalent supermarkets. Not even close.

Macy's caters to a different clientele overall compared to Bloomingdale's and Bloomingdale's is more of a high-end department store. Macy's could be described as a middle-of-the road type of department store, and yes they do carry some expensive items there, but generally speaking, their items are more accessible to a wider range of people in terms of price points. For the most part, people that shop at Bloomingdale's are more likely to shop at Saks, Neiman Marcus and other similar stores like Bergdorf Goodman. Those are all true high-end luxury stores that carry similar items in terms of brands, as well as things like men's handmade shoes, etc. In fact Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman carry many of the same items. They could almost be the same store to some degree. Bloomingdale's like Saks tends to carry some exclusive high-end options, which is what I like.

I'm rather well-versed in this area since my mother was into fashion and attended FIT, so as a kid, she would take me to Macy's or other nice department stores for clothing, shoes, etc. Back then Macy's was more sophisticated and upscale compared to today. You could get those good quality Clark shoes (they are of poor quality these days (cheap imports)), but back then they were very well made and expensive). Mephisto from France is another brand my mom would buy me.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 01-20-2023 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 2,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Macy’s also sells quality items and while they are also expensive, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than Bloomingdale’s.
yeah I was about to say so. The last winter jacket I purchased from Bloomingdale cost me only $30 I see the same jacket was at Macy's @ $38.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:30 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,762,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You could get those good quality Clark shoes (they are of poor quality these days (cheap imports))
I thought as much. I love Clark shoes but lately when I purchase them on Amazon or at their store, they're not the same. They don't fit as nicely and feel pretty shoddy. I thought it was just my imagination but I guess not.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:46 PM

307 posts, read 636,899 times
Macy's is solidly middle of the road, often anchoring shopping malls in middle and working class neighborhoods.

Bloomingdales caters to a higher end clientele, although not the most exclusive, they carry designer labels that can certainly cause sticker shock to unfamiliar shoppers.

Calling Bloomingdals a 'rip off' is an obtuse comment, implying that theyre selling items that can be had much cheaper in other places. They sell high ticket items for a high price. Expensive, yes. Rip-off, no. Unless you're implying that the designer labels they sell are a rip-off - which would be a different argument involving the fashion industry as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City