Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2023, 05:06 AM

43,627 posts, read 44,355,249 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of this past week, a friend of mine who is a customer of Spectrum lost service (internet, home phone & cable TV) and received a text to his cellphone that they needed to come to him home in order to fix the problem. He set up an appointment for yesterday (when he had a free day from work). A friend lives in a legal apt. in a private home/property owned by him and his disabled sibling (who lives somewhere else). When the technician came he claimed he couldn't fix the problem as he needed to access the line which was coming from a property behind my friend's (meaning on the next street over) and he wanted my friend/the customer (who doesn't know these people) to go over to that house and get him access to this stranger's property. My friend/the customer refused as it is not his responsibility to get Spectrum access to their equipment which isn't on his property. It seems that the technician called his supervisor who agreed with the technician on this matter. I agree with my friend that it isn't the customer's responsibility to Spectrum access to their equipment on somebody's else property.

My friend called Spectrum and tried to cancel his service with them. But they convinced him to try again tomorrow to solve the problem which seems to be due to water damage (recent rainstorm?). But they noted that the customer is uncomfortable (with this situation). If they don't fix then (without him having to help them gain access to a stranger's property), he will cancel his Spectrum service.

As a side note also one of the other tenants in a different apt. on my friend's property also is without service (probably for the same reason).

Do you agree or disagree that it is Spectrum's problem to access their equipment not on my friend's property (especially if they want to keep him as a customer)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 05:21 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,131,876 times
I would certainly think that it's Spectrum's responsibility to do whatever it takes, in order to get a customer's service restored. It's Spectrum's equipment that needs attention, not the customer's.....

Old 01-28-2023, 08:05 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Situation is neither new nor abnormal.

Verizon (especially landline copper), Spectrum and other communication services often have a central box on a street or block there services many in area. Owners of building usually know or find out sooner or later about those boxes and need for access.

While Spectrum does indeed own equipment it cannot force owners of property to grant them access. This is possibly why are asking customer to do so because hopes that owner would be more amenable to request.

Verizon's DSL and landline phone service in Manhattan at least has central boxes serving many customers in one building. While am sure some building owners were less then nice, most times Verizon was given access to rear yard or wherever box was located to make repairs. Odd thing is that often it was rain (especially after heavy amounts) that people lost their landline telephone or DSL service. Would have thought Spectrum cable would be less affected.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:13 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,149,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I would certainly think that it's Spectrum's responsibility to do whatever it takes, in order to get a customer's service restored. It's Spectrum's equipment that needs attention, not the customer's.....

You have to wonder about what kind of people Spectrum is hiring and how they train them. Of course it's Spectrum's responsibility to arrange for access to a property on which there equipment is located. In fact they have the right to do because that is part of every Spectrum customer agreement. In my S.I. neighborhood Spectrum (and Verizon) equipment is on the telephone poles along the street, so access isn't an issue.

When I lived in Brooklyn the telephone poles were in the backyard and we had to give access to New York Telephone personnel if need be. The same rule applies today to Spectrum, Altice, Verizon or any other entity using telephone poles on private property. In Brooklyn our home telephone lines also passed through a crummy apartment building around the corner. NY Tel had to have access to that building to do any repairs on our block. Not the best situation.

Old 01-28-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Situation is neither new nor abnormal.

While Spectrum does indeed own equipment it cannot force owners of property to grant them access. This is possibly why they are asking customer to do so because he hopes that owner would be more amenable to request.
Well it is still Spectrum's responsibility. They can't expect the customer/someone who is completely stranger to knock on the door of someone on a different street to do that for them. In this day and age, it is likely that they won't open the door for a complete stranger (who isn't an official with ID)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
You have to wonder about what kind of people Spectrum is hiring and how they train them. Of course it's Spectrum's responsibility to arrange for access to a property on which there equipment is located. In fact they have the right to do because that is part of every Spectrum customer agreement. In my S.I. neighborhood Spectrum (and Verizon) equipment is on the telephone poles along the street, so access isn't an issue.
It seems that even the managers are not trained properly in this case.

I have no idea if the person whose property needs to be accessed is a current Spectrum customer or not. But that is Spectrum's problem to deal with if they want to retain the customers whose service has been disrupted.

Old 01-29-2023, 03:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
This sounds like a question of easement access for utility workers which I have commented about just recently. I have had Verizon employees and contractors walking onto my property without even ringing my doorbell to access a pole near the property line which is not even on my property. It’s in the yard of the house behind mine. Spectrum workers usually ask permission before entering my property which I think is the appropriate protocol.

I do not think a customer should have to ask a stranger to give Spectrum access. Spectrum should ask permission at that home and that should be the end of it. If they can’t get permission for some reason then Spectrum has the right to enter the property especially to fix an out of service condition.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
This sounds like a question of easement access for utility workers which I have commented about just recently. I have had Verizon employees and contractors walking onto my property without even ringing my doorbell to access a pole near the property line which is not even on my property. It’s in the yard of the house behind mine. Spectrum workers usually ask permission before entering my property which I think is the appropriate protocol.

I do not think a customer should have to ask a stranger to give Spectrum access. Spectrum should ask permission at that home and that should be the end of it. If they can’t get permission for some reason then Spectrum has the right to enter the property especially to fix an out of service condition.
That sounds about right!

Yesterday a different Spectrum technician showed up with a ladder and climbed on to back of roof the garage which is adjacent to property behind my friend's/the customer's home and was able to access the line equipment on the other property in that fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: