Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 11:19 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times

Advertisements

I'd love to get a take on this situation we found ourselves over the last two weeks.

I noticed tenets moving out of a house two doors down from us and approached asking for the owners information on behalf of a family member looking to move from out of state. I reached out to the person whom posed as the owner and in the same conversation said they would have their property manager contact me. Within seconds I received a message from the so called prop manager/Realtor. Both local numbers. I now know this was the realtor posing as the owner in the initial text. I called the original number from my husbands phone after this whole ordeal and she picked up.

We discussed the property and was told they were looking for a July move in date, family was agreeable to move in then. Then the nightmare started. After collecting all of my family members information (work history, proof of income etc) she became a ghost. It was a game of relentlessly calling/texting and trying to contact them for literally ANY information or update. After several days she tells us she needs to ask the owner if July is a good date to move in. We informed her we had agreed upon that per her already but she now said she needed to ask. We reminded her this is a cross country move and we need to agree on a set date at this point to secure trucks and such.

4 days go by we hear nothing even though we've once again reached out. I'm getting suspicious ( Realtor licenses checked out) something is going on beyond her just being busy. We really wanted this house being as it was so close to us and I felt good about the fact I had nabbed it before it was even listed. We finally get a hold of her on the 5th day and she tell us she needs to contact the owner, they live out of the country. We inform her she told us she would be doing this days prior and she tells us hes harder to reach because he lives of the country. I don't buy it in this day in age, 9 days to make a phone call or email? I proceed to look up the property on the county assessor site and come to find out her personal own address is listed on the county assessor site with a different name as an owner. So she clearly (imo) had a personal interest in this property. We were not informed of this by her.

Days go by she tells us she would contact us on Monday the 6th. We hear nothing. get a hold her Wednesday the 8th and she texts "good news July is good to go".. that same day later on she tells us owner wants someone to move in mid June and they've decided to go with family. Odd considering the prior tenants were from the same country she is from also (Venezuela). She did not give us any impression anyone was going for this unit and once again changed her tune on move in. I have since reported her to the Realtors Commision after I went to her business site and it seems im not the only one who's experienced this. She has a history of putting wrong dates on leases, not returning deposits, ghosting people upon moving in/out etc. Is there anything else I should be doing at this point?

I funny enough had dealt with her a time prior (I only now realized this) about another place in my HOA and it was the same scenario of never getting back to me, making up excuses, and finally the owner "went with family". It only clicked after this even and I went back and looked at the old listing. This woman seems to be pulling something over on people is only acting in her own personal interest on these listings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 05:46 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Well, I don't have any words of advice, but that behavior is rudely unprofessional...not to mention a bit sleazy.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:23 PM

218 posts, read 214,112 times
I agree with jackmichigan.

Are you sure she is a Realtor and not just an agent? Realtors are different from non-member licensees, as Realtors adhere to a strict Code Of Ethics. If she is and you feel that there was an ethics violation, you can file an ethics complaint through the local Realtors Association in your area. You can also call or visit her office and ask to speak to her Broker In Charge.

Old 06-14-2022, 05:26 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnD View Post
I agree with jackmichigan.

Are you sure she is a Realtor and not just an agent? Realtors are different from non-member licensees, as Realtors adhere to a strict Code Of Ethics. If she is and you feel that there was an ethics violation, you can file an ethics complaint through the local Realtors Association in your area. You can also call or visit her office and ask to speak to her Broker In Charge.
Unfortunately, some of the sleaziest real estate agents that I have known have been REALTORS®. They may have a Code of Ethics, but not all adhere to it.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:26 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Speaking as a landlord, I only deal with the primary tenant, so I wouldn't have been dealing with you at all. You aren't the tenant, so none of it is any of you business.

You do not have a rental secured until the lease is signed, which your relative never got. And I would have rejected your relative for no other reason than you are a demanding nuisance that appears to think that you are entitled to the house just because it is conveniently located for you. Cooperation is one of the criteria that many landlords use when they are screening.

You are on the real estate professionals forum and everyone is being polite to you. They are a bunch of nice people here on this forum. I'm not a realtor, I am a landlord and I am telling you why you didn't get the house for your relative. Next time don't be so pushy and demanding. Being the first to find the vacant house does not give you first dibs.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:32 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Speaking as a landlord, I only deal with the primary tenant, so I wouldn't have been dealing with you at all. You aren't the tenant, so none of it is any of you business.

You do not have a rental secured until the lease is signed, which your relative never got. And I would have rejected your relative for no other reason than you are a demanding nuisance that appears to think that you are entitled to the house just because it is conveniently located for you. Cooperation is one of the criteria that many landlords use when they are screening.

You are on the real estate professionals forum and everyone is being polite to you. They are a bunch of nice people here on this forum. I'm not a realtor, I am a landlord and I am telling you why you didn't get the house for your relative. Next time don't be so pushy and demanding. Being the first to find the vacant house does not give you first dibs.
Let me return the favor to you. I dunno who tf you think you are how you think you understand the situation but you clearly don't. Dealing with me? I had ONE contact with her to ask if the home was available and to refer my family member with name, number etc for her to contact. That is the only contact I had with this women. So when you're talking about her dealing with me and you wouldn't give me the property based on me nagging her I have to ask literally wtf are you talking about?

When I say "we" I mean my family telling US what's going on. My contact with this women went as far as a 3 minute text message in which she posed as the owner initially then property manager from a different number after which I referred her to my family and never spoke with her again. I never said I felt entitled to the place, I said I felt good about trying to nab it because it hadn't been listed.

As it turns out this isn't her first rodeo doing this to people because and investigation has been opened on her and I've received other information, and her company page is rife with complaints from others who ran into the same situation of never hearing back from her after taking their car tags, social security number, work information etc. Maybe read the post before you write cause I gotta tell you, you look so stupid right now. Glad your not my landlord based on your attitude alone.

Old 06-23-2022, 06:46 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Sheesh. OP is super annoying on the Charlotte forum, but I didn't really see a problem with her post here (assuming the story is true). The landlord didn't need to give her family the rental, but they should have at least told them as much.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:33 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
As an outsider my take on this is that the realtor is acting as a conduit for this and maybe other owners in her group. They are out of the country and using her address? She said yes to you initially, but you became a back-up in case their desired applicant couldn’t get there, either for legal or practical reasons. Or maybe someone just came along and made a $$ offer the landlord couldn’t refuse.

The bottom line is get a lease signed with all the pertinent conditions before moving on any piece of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals