Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 05:51 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That’s because you are misled by their name. They should really be called emergency first responders. They respond to more than just fires. They respond to every possible life threatening situation. They are usually first on the scene often times before police or ambulances. They are invaluable.
So this is the new argument? That they're glorified paramedics? Why not hire 3 paramedics for the cost of one firefighter? At least we're getting somewhere now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 07:58 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
So this is the new argument? That they're glorified paramedics? Why not hire 3 paramedics for the cost of one firefighter? At least we're getting somewhere now.
Because those three paramedics won’t be able to help you when you are trapped under a truck or a burning vehicle or a building collapsed on you or any other million life threatening scenarios that nobody except the FDNY can come to your aid. And they do it without hesitation, bravely and selflessly. Try to get a paramedic to do that for you.

It was not an argument until you decided to make it one with your silly penny pinching. The city and state spends billions wastefully (which I don’t need to tell you because you yourself know it very well) but you rather attack and nickel and dime the FDNY, which is like the only government department that is worth every penny, unlike the other mostly useless bureaucratic departments.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:46 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,471,180 times
I just think Esacni failed the FDNY exam and is bitter.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:54 PM

978 posts, read 675,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Yup.
I passed that test, but was already in the “system” and didn’t want to risk my life for 15k more (at that time). Guess what 9/11 was just round the corner.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Because those three paramedics won’t be able to help you when you are trapped under a truck or a burning vehicle or a building collapsed on you or any other million life threatening scenarios that nobody except the FDNY can come to your aid. And they do it without hesitation, bravely and selflessly. Try to get a paramedic to do that for you.

It was not an argument until you decided to make it one with your silly penny pinching. The city and state spends billions wastefully (which I don’t need to tell you because you yourself know it very well) but you rather attack and nickel and dime the FDNY, which is like the only government department that is worth every penny, unlike the other mostly useless bureaucratic departments.
Edge cases aren't an argument. That's not how the world or humanity operates. That's been the go to argument of those who want to keep the gravy train rolling because they know there's no arguing the merits of the case.

Further, nobody is claiming the FDNY shouldn't exist. The argument is, it should be seriously downsized. Just like Bloomberg wanted because he saw the truth of the situation decades ago.

Trapped under a truck. Building collapse? Are you seriously making that argument?

Just because the city wastes money elsewhere doesn't mean money wasted on the FDNY is any better. I'm not like one of these clowns in the city that hate government cheese for others but will take as much as they can fie themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Ah, yes. The tried and true go to argument of the feeble minded.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The previous commissioner hired her into the FDNY or was forced to by Bill deBlasio. Either way he’s responsible for where she is now and he supported her for the position. He should get a good deal of the blame for her being commissioner.
Yes, but Dwight Eisenhower was probably President when she was born. Shouldn't HE share in the blame?

Old 02-13-2023, 07:02 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
So now all the guys that died in or from 911 are no good right? Bunch of money sucking nepotistic racist white guys. Right? Anyone who talks **** about the fdny workers needs a punch in the face. I guess the former “hero’s” of fdny are about as disposable and useless as the former “hero’s” in healthcare that got ****-canned for not getting the stupid covid shot.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
The FDNY should be half (or less) of what it is. The thinking goes that it’s mainly now a jobs program anyways. Whether that is for connected white dudes who retire on “disability” (while mainly going on grocery runs and responding to vehicular accidents) or another group, what’s the difference?

Honestly, I can’t argue with them. If the same clowns weren’t trying to maintain the status quo and actually positively reform the department then maybe I’d agree with their complaints. Can’t complain just because you don’t agree with who’s running the corrupt enterprise.
How about the same half staffing for the NYPD as well?

Old 02-13-2023, 10:50 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Sure, let's make some cuts in your police precinct first.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So now all the guys that died in or from 911 are no good right? Bunch of money sucking nepotistic racist white guys. Right? Anyone who talks **** about the fdny workers needs a punch in the face. I guess the former “hero’s” of fdny are about as disposable and useless as the former “hero’s” in healthcare that got ****-canned for not getting the stupid covid shot.
With all due respect, the NYPD and FDNY have more than beat the dead horse that was 9/11 for over 2 decades now. I know this may not be a popular opinion but it’s the abject truth. 9/11 was tragic and unfortunate and lots of people died (not just FDNY) but you can’t make policy based on lightning strikes. It doesn’t lead to anything good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If the city legalized guns for law abiding residents, the NYPD could cut half the force within 6 months. That’s why the top brass at the NYPD staunchly opposes any liberalization of gun laws in NYC. In fact, they’re the first ones to fear monger about how terrible guns are (while all the gangbangers freely roam the streets with guns).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: