Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 04:03 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times

Advertisements

Worked all over N.Y.C. my entire life.
There are times to drive to work and there are time to use public transportation. Either way I averaged an hour.

15 minutes is for walking to work. Anything else comes with the promise of onsite parking.

Add additional time looking for a parking spot.
Parking tickets hurts. Being towed away hurts more.
Get used to dings and scratches on your car.
Get used to being boxed in or blocked by commercial vehicles.

I suggest retraining your way of thinking and just get used to public
transportation and consider an employee parking spot as a gift . The key to the city.
Good Luck with that one.

Concentrate on a neighborhood that has good homes with plenty of parking and good schools for your kids.
Look for apps that compares neighborhoods and rates them. I can save you some time.
I prefer Queens. Parts dedicated to mostly single family homes. Why?
You can park more cars in front of a one family home than a 12 story apartment building.
Good schools,public transportation, affordable rents,plenty amenities.

Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 06:39 AM

726 posts, read 807,394 times
All someone who has lived in Brooklyn all there life unless you are will to pay for both cars to have spots selling 1 is the best option. Living close by the hospitals are horrible for parking since most block are reserved for hospital staff and then they have meters. Now as far as schools you will find amazing schools for your children in that area. Your budget monthly is what will determine where you and your spouse live

Old 02-17-2023, 06:53 AM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
Is the job a definite? Do you have other options? I have been to SUNY Downstate twice (not as a patient) and it didn't seem nice. Also the area directly around it isn't nice either.

And as for parking around there, no way would you find free parking, but there are lots, I assume for the hospital staff/patients/visitors but I don't know anything about those.

The 15 minute commute to work is a fantasy from another land. Like Mr Retired says, a 15 minute commute only happens if you live 15 minutes walking distance from the workplace or have onsite parking that's easy-in-easy-out like a big parking lot that's self park

If I had kids and a job offer at SUNY Downstate AND HAD TO MOVE FROM OUT OF STATE, either they'd have to be paying me at least 250K (hopefully more) to take the position or I'd look elsewhere.

If already living here, or you didn't have kids, or or or... it would involve a different kind of thought process

Old 02-17-2023, 07:55 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
There’s no more 15 min drives even within Brooklyn areas because how bad traffic and construction. And why would the OP want a car unless you plan to live in the edge parts of Brooklyn. It’s one of the area affected by high rates of car breakings and cat converter thefts. Makes little sense to own a car with no easy parking spots.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:34 AM

169 posts, read 168,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Is the job a definite? Do you have other options? I have been to SUNY Downstate twice (not as a patient) and it didn't seem nice. Also the area directly around it isn't nice either.

And as for parking around there, no way would you find free parking, but there are lots, I assume for the hospital staff/patients/visitors but I don't know anything about those.

The 15 minute commute to work is a fantasy from another land. Like Mr Retired says, a 15 minute commute only happens if you live 15 minutes walking distance from the workplace or have onsite parking that's easy-in-easy-out like a big parking lot that's self park

If I had kids and a job offer at SUNY Downstate AND HAD TO MOVE FROM OUT OF STATE, either they'd have to be paying me at least 250K (hopefully more) to take the position or I'd look elsewhere.

If already living here, or you didn't have kids, or or or... it would involve a different kind of thought process
I'm making some assumptions about OP but I have a feeling I know a touch about their situation. One can only assume that to come from out of state to work at SUNY Downstate they're a physician and I know the company that covers that hospital so they are over 250k. My only concern is that Downstate tends to be a revolving door so I just hope they've done their due diligence. I also find it interesting the OP would consider coming all the way from NJ rather than some of the neighborhoods that are within more of a reach. Schools will always be the big issue with couples with kids in NYC and yes, I understand the neighborhoods OP is circling around don't have the greatest schools but are gentrifying. I think the OP should sell a car, keep one, and live in Park Slope but budget could be the big factor there.

If it were me I'd live in Bed Stuy and take the bus to work and just budget for private school but I have a small feeling "I'd" be more comfortable in Bed Stuy than OP, but again, Im making assumptions.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:49 AM

45 posts, read 66,577 times
I guess $2,500 top

Old 02-17-2023, 11:02 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
There’s no more 15 min drives even within Brooklyn areas because how bad traffic and construction. And why would the OP want a car unless you plan to live in the edge parts of Brooklyn. It’s one of the area affected by high rates of car breakings and cat converter thefts. Makes little sense to own a car with no easy parking spots.
What are you even talking about? Plenty (majority?) of people who live in south Brooklyn own cars, same for eastern Queens. Both of those areas would be fairly good to commute to SUNY Downstate by car. This is where families with cars live in NYC.

To the OP - use Google maps to estimate driving distance from whatever area you want to live in to your place of work. The estimates are fairly accurate when it comes to commute times both for driving and public transport. If your kids are going to hit high school age, make sure they go to specialized high schools (need to take a test to get in), the admissions to them are citywide, regardless of the neighborhood. If they don't get in, you'd have to find more expensive neighborhood or move to Long Island.

The hospital itself is in not so great area, however there are decent neighborhoods nearby to the west, south, and north (queens) of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Few people in Brooklyn keep two cars for two adults. Many people use Uber or Lyft for errands around town and only use their cars for trips outside the city.
Literally nobody does that, especially if you already own a car. The only people who actually can afford to do it are single Google employees making $400K, and poser broke $80k-a-year "millionaires". Not a family with 2 kids and a car.

Last edited by Gantz; 02-17-2023 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-17-2023, 11:17 AM

169 posts, read 168,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasylP View Post
I guess $2,500 top
I think that's going to be a tough search with the criteria you're giving. I mean, if you're looking as south as Sheepshead Bay you may as well inquire about a position at Coney Island Hospital if you haven't signed a contract with Kings County yet. If you're dead set on Kings then you may want to find something near the B/Q in South Brooklyn and take the subway to work. If you're required to be on call I believe there is a rule that a hospital has to provide sleeping arrangements for anyone on call, so if the 15 mins is a "call back time" then I would just stay in house when on call

Old 02-17-2023, 11:23 AM

313 posts, read 212,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasylP View Post
I guess $2,500 top
Check out Marine Park or Sheepshead Bay, both areas are great and fairly safe.

Marine Park is closer to SUNY Downstate and has a more suburban feel but has no subway only bus. It's quiet and mostly private houses.

Sheepshead Bay has a mix urban suburban feel with B & Q train lines. It is farther from SUNY Downstate but not super far. Sheepshead Bay has alot of restaurants and attractions along Sheephead Bay Road and Emmons Avenue areas and is close to the beach.

Kensington could also be a decent area for you. It's relatively close to SUNY Downstate by car, has multiple subway lines. Parking will be hell though..

Other areas mentioned like Prospect Heights, and Park Slope are gentrified areas and will push your 2 Bedroom for 2500 to 3000 for a 2 bed. But if you're interested in those areas, I would highly recommend based on safety and amenities. But only Park Slope for good schools.

SUNY Downstate is annoying to get to, both by public transit and car. It's closest subway line are the 2 and 5 trains and they don't run very reliable at certain times outside of rush hour. It's a steep walk from the B & Q train and would probably be better taking a bus from the B/Q trains and that's not worth the wait.
Driving: During rush hour, Nostrand Ave is a nightmare, so is Flatbush, Caton Ave, Church Ave etc.. so coming from any direction to the hospital, driving, is a nightmare

Old 02-17-2023, 11:37 AM

45 posts, read 66,577 times
Is it going to be tough because I can't find a 2-bdr for $2,500?

I am willing to trade-in driving time for safer neighborhood.
I can't go to a different hospital because this is a residency training position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City