Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 11:53 AM

45 posts, read 66,663 times

Advertisements

Got it

Can I afford a 2-bdr for $2,500 in Marine Park and Sheepshead Bay?

You mentioned there is no subway in Marine Park, only bus. Does the bus have a stop at the SUNY Downstate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 11:56 AM

169 posts, read 168,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasylP View Post
Is it going to be tough because I can't find a 2-bdr for $2,500?

I am willing to trade-in driving time for safer neighborhood.
I can't go to a different hospital because this is a residency training position.
I'll put it out there. I'm a medical professional as well and am being recruited by a couple places in the New York area as well and much like you the big roadblock is schools for the child and affordability for housing. Yes, folks, believe it or not, us "highly paid" medical professionals also struggle in the NYC metro as, just maybe not as much.

You should get the StreetEasy app and just put in your criteria and look around. As the above post said, Kings County is a pain the get to and there's definitely separate conversations to have around that. I think even coming from Park Slope is a pain if you use public transportation and if you don't you have to deal with parking and traffic, although maybe early in the morning as most of us medical professionals have to show up to work, the traffic won't be as bad, but going home it will be.

To answer you question, a clean (emphasis on clean) 2 bd apartment for 2500 in Brooklyn is going to take some savvy searching. If you can, you may want to consider pushing up that budget to over 3500 or more. Again, you may be able to find something for 2500, but will it be clean and in a good area with good schools is the question. Probably not

Remember, in Brooklyn, for the most part, the good school districts, by NYC standards, are probably in Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, and maybe Cobble Hill. Outside those districts things start to decline.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:01 PM

169 posts, read 168,791 times
Quote:
Is it going to be tough because I can't find a 2-bdr for $2,500?

I am willing to trade-in driving time for safer neighborhood.
I can't go to a different hospital because this is a residency training position.
Ah, there it is.

You need to be a close a possible to work if you're a resident. There's nothing worse than after being on call than a long commute home or sitting in traffic and even worse coming home after call and having to search for a parking spot. I get it, but that resident pay is terrible, but if 2500 is the budget I would limit my search as close a possible to the hospital. Trust me.

edit: A better resource than City Data could be current residents at the program

Last edited by twiggidy; 02-17-2023 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: recommendation change

Old 02-17-2023, 12:41 PM

313 posts, read 212,418 times
Quote:
Got it

Can I afford a 2-bdr for $2,500 in Marine Park and Sheepshead Bay?

You mentioned there is no subway in Marine Park, only bus. Does the bus have a stop at the SUNY Downstate?
Yes most definitely. That's why I suggested those neighborhoods.

Marine Park and Sheephead Bay both have buses that go to SUNY Downstate. The B44 known as the Nostrand Ave bus, they have an express variant called the B44 SBS (Select Bus Service) as well. But traffic on Nostrand is a nightmare.

Last edited by RagerNYC; 02-17-2023 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-17-2023, 12:56 PM

Depending on your preferences, and on size:

Usually a 6-8 floor elevator building has the largest rooms with a separate eat in kitchen. Like I'm talking the rooms are huge. They're called "pre war" and "post war" buildings

Any building under 5 floors. Unless new have no elevators and the rooms are medium seized

Old walk up buildings that are usually 3 stories are small to small medium sized and some depending on age are railroad layout. Wouldn't recommend.

Houses vary in size so that will be up to you but remember that private owners can decide if to pay for your heat and hot water or not. Sometimes you need to pay for yourself. If you want a building, heat and hot water are always included, some buildings even have gas included. (Usually those buildings are 7 story "post ww2 built" buildings with the air conditioner under the window.

Last edited by RagerNYC; 02-17-2023 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-17-2023, 01:05 PM

5,810 posts, read 2,938,488 times
Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Dumbo. Bay Ridge

Those are the places to stick too.
Rest of the Brooklyn is a bit of a dump. Especially southern Brooklyn.

Old 02-17-2023, 03:15 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

Lol What?
For example, here is a random spot on Bedford ave, the whole street is like this for the whole length in south Brooklyn:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6053...7i16384!8i8192
Here is another neighborhood deep in south Brooklyn where the Russians live, how is this a dump?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5797...7i13312!8i6656

Literally go on google maps and click anywhere there on any block in south Brooklyn, how is that a dump?

Last edited by Gantz; 02-17-2023 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-17-2023, 03:46 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,150,630 times
Quote:

Gravesend and Sheepshead Bay are not dumps.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:08 PM

5,810 posts, read 2,938,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Gravesend and Sheepshead Bay are not dumps.
Hes not going to be buying a house on the bay. I meant apartments along ocean parkway or Coney island.

Old 02-17-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Hes not going to be buying a house on the bay. I meant apartments along ocean parkway or Coney island.
Ocean Parkway has some nice apartments..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City