Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 04:07 PM

3,774 posts, read 3,509,088 times

Advertisements

Makes sense. Focus on brand new cars but do nothing about Crime or Grimeyness of stations that are falling apart all over the city. Call me crazy but I think people would prefer fresh looking and clean stations with older train cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2023, 06:32 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Makes sense. Focus on brand new cars but do nothing about Crime or Grimeyness of stations that are falling apart all over the city. Call me crazy but I think people would prefer fresh looking and clean stations with older train cars.
you guys complain about everything.

First its the old trains

now that new trains are provided now its people prefer better stations.

in reality the MTA has been working on fixing all of these things the past few years.

Yall expect everything to happen in one day.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:42 AM

313 posts, read 214,710 times
As slow as the MTA is at upgrading the signals which is much more important than clean stations.. we need the new cars in order to work with the new signals that are being installed on Queens Blvd, 6th Avenue, 8th Avenue and Culver.. So the new cars are needed for all you people who complain so much about the MTA..

I'm glad they're finally at the end of their testing and can't wait for them to replace all R46 cars and hopefully the R68s in the future.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:14 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post

First its the old trains

in reality the MTA has been working on fixing all of these things the past few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
As slow as the MTA is at upgrading the signals which is much more important than clean stations.. we need the new cars in order to work with the new signals that are being installed on Queens Blvd, 6th Avenue, 8th Avenue and Culver.. So the new cars are needed for all you people who complain so much about the MTA..

I'm glad they're finally at the end of their testing and can't wait for them to replace all R46 cars and hopefully the R68s in the future.
MTA employees or have family that work for the MTA.

Do either of you want to put down $5K that this will improve delays in any meaningful manner? The MTA has been working on signals for a decade now.

The MTA is a cesspool of corruption and inefficiency.

Old 03-12-2023, 11:28 AM

7,907 posts, read 7,940,842 times
I wanna get on one.. I'm intrigued

Old 03-12-2023, 12:49 PM

14,089 posts, read 14,019,831 times
What about 6, Z, J trains ?

Old 03-12-2023, 01:06 PM

16,187 posts, read 6,938,089 times
Unbelievable,
Weren't the last new A trains tracked around 2010.

If they were American made they wouldn't have been swapped out until they turned 50 years old.

On another note : They are beautiful.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:24 PM

1,052 posts, read 456,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
If you eat up the bull**** that the MTA peddles. If you really believe that is a prime contributor to delays, then you're part of the circus.
It's not a prime contributor, but it certainly IS a contributor. The R46 was produced during the Ford and Carter years. There's absolutely no reason for them to stay around any longer, so yeah, I do support spending money on new rolling stock. The MTA needs a serious audit and cost cutting - but this isn't where costs should be cut (I firmly believe there needs to be a reduced headcount - why are we still having 2 person train crews in the 21st century??)

Old 03-12-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Unbelievable,
Weren't the last new A trains tracked around 2010.

If they were American made they wouldn't have been swapped out until they turned 50 years old.

On another note : They are beautiful.
Everything you said is wrong. The (A) line hasn't received any new trains in decades, not counting 2019 when it got a small handful of Bombardier-built R179s (only about 20% of the total fleet).

The R46 models due to be retired were 100% American made in Chicago by the Pullman Standard Company in 1975-1978. And indeed, they are on the precipice of turning 50 years old, which, by the way, is well beyond the expected rail service life of 40 years.

The R211 model order is mostly produced in Lincoln, Nebraska, albeit by an American branch of the Japanese multinational Kawasaki, Inc. There are no American train manufacturers in existence anymore due to the globalism of the Reagan-through-Obama presidencies.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post

First its the old trains

Personally, I don't care about stations that much. I don't sit on the benches, I merely wait for the train which I'd rather be clean and reliable than the station which solely exists to board and exit the actual train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City