Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 07:14 PM

2,437 posts, read 1,212,637 times

Advertisements

I know this is about subways, but with the new GCT line, sucking up rolling stock, I got on one of those vintage LIRR trains with the red and blue seats.

Absolute heaven, nice and dark, no stupid bing bong every two minutes, no announcements...This is the train to blah blah the next station is blah blah...peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 07:46 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
It's not a prime contributor, but it certainly IS a contributor. The R46 was produced during the Ford and Carter years. There's absolutely no reason for them to stay around any longer, so yeah, I do support spending money on new rolling stock. The MTA needs a serious audit and cost cutting - but this isn't where costs should be cut (I firmly believe there needs to be a reduced headcount - why are we still having 2 person train crews in the 21st century??)
EVERYTHING is a contributor to delays for the MTA. Staff calling out sick (this isn't a joke). Con Ed (again, not a joke). Rainstorms (I wish this was a joke).

This is just PR. It's for the do nothings and politcians at MTA HQ to show that they "did something". The problem with the MTA isn't old rolling stock.

In fact, ever since the MTA started to get some of the newer stock during BDB's era, delays have only gotten worse.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:36 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
EVERYTHING is a contributor to delays for the MTA. Staff calling out sick (this isn't a joke). Con Ed (again, not a joke). Rainstorms (I wish this was a joke).

This is just PR. It's for the do nothings and politcians at MTA HQ to show that they "did something". The problem with the MTA isn't old rolling stock.

In fact, ever since the MTA started to get some of the newer stock during BDB's era, delays have only gotten worse.
Ehh, there really wasn't that much new rolling stock delivered during DeBlahBlah's era, the R179 order in 2016-2019 was pretty small and ordered well before BDB.

Yes, everyone agrees the MTA is a complete clown show, BUT service did get nominally better from the 2017 nadir after Andy Byford shook things up a little in 2018/19. The new R211 order is necessary to get new signals online. The Queens Blvd lines (E)(F)(R) in Queens have seen a major improvement since the new CBTC signals went online last year. Still bad by world standards, but compared to the situation 4-5 years ago service is smooth and very fast on those express tracks Those lines also had to get the newer R160 trains from the (N)(Q)(W) to use the new signals.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:09 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't care about stations that much. I don't sit on the benches, I merely wait for the train which I'd rather be clean and reliable than the station which solely exists to board and exit the actual train.
Same! I care mostly about the trains. As long as the stations are littered in trash I do not care. I think the MTA would seriously be wasting money trying to be like Moscow turning all the stations into a museum.

Old 03-17-2023, 12:37 AM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Same! I care mostly about the trains. As long as the stations are littered in trash I do not care. I think the MTA would seriously be wasting money trying to be like Moscow turning all the stations into a museum.
I spend most of my time riding on board the train - as do virtually all MTA customers. If service is reliable and trains are clean, what do stations matter?

Old 03-17-2023, 06:42 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Quote:

The R46 models due to be retired were 100% American made in Chicago by the Pullman Standard Company in 1975-1978. And indeed, they are on the precipice of turning 50 years old, which, by the way, is well beyond the expected rail service life of 40 years.

The R211 model order is mostly produced in Lincoln, Nebraska, albeit by an American branch of the Japanese multinational Kawasaki, Inc. There are no American train manufacturers in existence anymore due to the globalism of the Reagan-through-Obama presidencies.

Pullman Standard's main manufacturing facilities were located in Butler, PA. This facility was shuttered in 1981.

Old 03-18-2023, 04:26 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
This is why we can't have nice things.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/18/new-ny...-rowdy-riders/

Old 03-19-2023, 09:51 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This is why we can't have nice things.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/18/new-ny...-rowdy-riders/

Old 03-19-2023, 11:29 PM

It's no laughing matter really, quite disgusting actually.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/19/instan...till-rule-nyc/

Old 03-19-2023, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I spend most of my time riding on board the train - as do virtually all MTA customers. If service is reliable and trains are clean, what do stations matter?
Because stations aren't always clean and most along with trains are infested with nasty homeless and druggies.

There is some homeless guy who has been living on the "Q" line from 57th to 96th for several years now.

His own personal hygiene (or lack thereof) is bad enough, but he amasses huge amounts of trash that he carts and stashes around trains or stations.

When he's ready to move house as train pulls into station he props open door with one bag/box/cart and begins loading all his nasty *sh8t* onto train. Sometimes that hot mess takes up 1/4 to 1/3 of front or back of car.

So now you're in a subway car traveling with masses of trash and one smelly homeless guy. He then ups the ante by starting to smoke cigarettes.

One day few weeks ago he did this sh&t in car with conductor and she announced over loudspeaker that "you can't smoke on this train". We were going downtown and "Q" trains were already messed up and late but soon as train pulled into 61st it was stopped and sat until NYPD arrived. This took awhile, then after NYPD finally arrived and ordered the guy to stop smoking and off the train it took another bit of time before all that played out and guy got all his sh*t off train onto platform.

For sometime now have had to go old school; scanning cars as train pulls into station to find one that is free of homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City