Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 06:30 PM

44 posts, read 50,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Lived in Queens (including Sunnyside/Woodside) since the 1970s. Know it inside and out. I'm also an older white male, so that is my perspective I'm coming from. My thoughts to you:

If you're young (lets say under 40) with no family, both LIC and Sunnyside are good spots to consider. However I would not raise a family in 2023 in any part of Queens if I had the choice. Bad schools, crime, etc, etc. But I'll assume you are not raising a family.

LIC: Used to be dingy and run down in the 80s/90s. Lower middle class. However now its a high end place to be. I guess sort of hip, as well. Very expensive. Especially the high rises. Not worth the bang for your buck imo. Also LIC, while itself not particularly dangerous, you do have plenty of crime. A lot of which comes from the "fine" folks living in the Queensbridge housing projects not too far away. I'd stay away from living in LIC. You can always visit for eats and entertainment - as well as the amazing views of the East side of Manhattan.

Sunnyside: Long history of working class families (a lot of the WW2 gen lived there) up until I'd say about mid/late 90s. Then became more of a hipster type place as crime went down and people were priced out of Astoria (which you may also want to consider). For many years Sunnyside was a hidden gem. No more. Now prices are thru the roof. Not LIC expensive but very expensive compared to when my family lived there 30+ years ago. But it's a great spot if you're single. Imo, the nightlife has taken a big hit since a lot of people go to Astoria or Manhattan/LIC instead but still plenty of small bars along with tons of places to eat. I still driving in once in a while to my Irish butcher. However make sure you are on the NORTH side of Queens blvd. For whatever reason, the south side of Queens blvd has always been a bit ghetto. Majority Hispanic immigrants (many illegal). You get a more educated, American born/raised crowd on the North side for some reason. I'd also stay between 40st-48st. Any higher and you are near Woodside and Rossevelt ave. Stay clear of Woodside. Also don't listen to anyone suggesting Jackson Heights. Both are dangerous. I'd look around Skillman ave/44 to 46st. Still pretty nice.

But you should be aware that Sunnyside is having a surge in crime. A lot of drive by gun point robberies lately. Broad daylight. In fact I was around the corner from one a few weeks ago. Car pulls up to a man standing in front of his house on 46st and robs him at gun point. Sunnyside has gotten very liberal so they don't get a lot of proactive policing by the NYPD. But you're still fairly safe I'd say compared to the Bronx, Brooklyn or Manhattan.

https://sunnysidepost.com/armed-susp...wednesday-nypd

https://sunnysidepost.com/category/s...e-crime/page/3
https://queenspost.com/woman-mugged-...hood-robberies
Thank you for the perspective. I did go and walk around the neighborhood, 40th-48th seems better but very little availability (seems like they already have applications). I did look at Woodside and Roosevelt Aves (Jackson Heights area), it seemed a bit rundown but I didn't get a sense of insecurity (so many people around).

Are there any areas you would recommend I take a look at as well? I thought about Astoria, but the commute isn't appealing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Getting an apartment for a good price is one thing.
Finding out that the neighborhood is dangerous after signing the lease is another.

Try areavibes or niche to get a feel of where you want to live.

Explore amenities, demographics, employment opportunities and posts from folks in the neighborhood.

Best wishes.
I agree with you. Zillow used to have a really nice crime map, but now they don't. The other crime map just shows everything as RED (so I have no idea which area is better). I will check out areavibes

Old 03-14-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Anything 2 to 3 block walk to the 7 should work for you 48th street to 73 rd street along roosevelt avenue .
Then, 2 to 3 blks any direction.

61st street stop has the express and LIRR to grand central. A big sweet spot in your search.

Give yourself a day exploring each stop. Go building to building and get management's number, maybe speak to the super..best way to get that perfect building.
LIRR to GC is a big plus in case 7 train is down. But when visited the area, 61st Street seemed a lot more Hispanic (nothing wrong with that, but street life didnt seem too appealing). Perhaps it was just that block, but something I noted.

Are there any areas / blocks around that station that you are aware of (if you live there) that are worth exploring?

Old 03-15-2023, 12:56 AM

790 posts, read 488,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar169 View Post
I agree with you. Zillow used to have a really nice crime map, but now they don't. The other crime map just shows everything as RED (so I have no idea which area is better). I will check out areavibes
https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/

This is the official nyc crime map. It's great. I use the "crime location" tab which shows actual bubbles lined to the location of a crime. From there you can drill down by type of crime (car theft, home robbery, assualt, etc, etc).

What you'll see is the further East you go towards Long Island, the less crime. For Queens in particular, that far North East corner is the safest. Happens to be where I grew up mostly and still live today. The 109/111 police pcts are the safest in the city with the exception of Staten Island. This part of Queens includes nice, greener areas like North Flushing, Whitestone, Bayside, Fresh Meadows. Bayside is very poplular with young professionals because it's safe compared to most of Queens and has direct access into Penn station on the LIRR. 20 minutes. This area is a bit more suburban like but still close to Manhattan. Out here you get a lot of Irish, Italians, Jews, Greeks, some Germans and also a lot of Chinese immigrants. Hispanics are also starting to grow in population. Not many blacks.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:35 AM

1,067 posts, read 547,349 times
Listing in Sunnyside https://www.listingsproject.com/list...he%207%20train

Old 03-15-2023, 08:43 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
Quote:
LIRR to GC is a big plus in case 7 train is down. But when visited the area, 61st Street seemed a lot more Hispanic (nothing wrong with that, but street life didnt seem too appealing). Perhaps it was just that block, but something I noted.

Are there any areas / blocks around that station that you are aware of (if you live there) that are worth exploring?
Actually, Woodside is a mix of Irish,Bangladeshi, Laos,Ecuadorian,filipino.

You are 2 stops to 74th street as well, F/E/and the local...also, bus to Rockaway Beach on 61st street.

Not a dangerous neighborhood, unless you out after 2 am looking for it. In this area, 58street to 65th street, is best. Spiderman is feom Woodside!!!

Old 03-15-2023, 12:35 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Quote:
How bad is the 7 train? I hadn't planned on that but I guess then I can try Woodside as well, perhaps something walkable to N R trains as well
N/R as in Astoria perhaps?!

Old 03-15-2023, 01:57 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
If you move to an area that is majority Asian or White then you will have less violent crime. If you move to an area that is majority Black or Caribbean Hispanic (Puerto Rican/Dominican) then you will have more violent crime. These are the cold hard facts about NYC. Just compare an area like Flushing, Astoria, Woodside vs the South Bronx, East NY, Washington Heights.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:01 PM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
If you move to an area that is majority Asian or White then you will have less violent crime. If you move to an area that is majority Black or Caribbean Hispanic (Puerto Rican/Dominican) then you will have more violent crime. These are the cold hard facts about NYC. Just compare an area like Flushing, Astoria, Woodside vs the South Bronx, East NY, Washington Heights.

Sadly ,rather than fixing the problem, create laws that forbid public access factual data compilation
and instead hand out a pair of free rose colored glasses to everyone. There. Problem fixed.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:28 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,153,831 times
Good luck in your search but always check out the crime stats for any neighborhood you're interested in - https://www.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/...ime-stats.page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City