Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 11:38 AM

1,083 posts, read 561,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
All y’all pretending that you don’t know how permit parking works? That’s rich lol. It has been standard in most urban neighborhoods for 30-40 years.
Yeah, no kidding. I tried in this thread but I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 11:58 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,260,424 times
Quote:
All y’all pretending that you don’t know how permit parking works? That’s rich lol. It has been standard in most urban neighborhoods for 30-40 years.
Who doesn’t know how it works? And who says it’s only been in urban neighborhoods? I know plenty of suburban towns here in NJ that has done this for a long time too but that doesn’t mean it is the right thing to do for NYC.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Thanks for stating the obvious. I know that in San Francisco and Chicago it's pretty typical., especially in very dense neighborhoods. Most of the "resident only" parking permits are for overnight parking, not daytime parking. So when neighborhood residents come home from work and need a spot to park they don't have to spend 30 minutes finding one. May be an inconvenience for some visitors, but a really boon to the folks who live there. And the neighborhoods that require these permits are often relatively affluent where car ownership isn't uncommon and there are few garage options.
They really need to show proof that residential permits really free up space. I doubt those “very dense neighborhoods” are suddenly going to have lots of space open up because of permits. Are there really that many people that don’t live there but decide to park there for fun?

Old 03-15-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Yeah, no kidding. I tried in this thread but I'm done.
Of course you’re done. Your argument about Long Islanders driving thru traffic just to park in Queens to get on a subway got blown up into bits and pieces.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:48 PM

1,083 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Of course you’re done. Your argument about Long Islanders driving thru traffic just to park in Queens to get on a subway got blown up into bits and pieces.
OMG is this an act?
I used Long Island as an example. They could be driving from anywhere, including a part of Queens that doesn't have LIRR or subway access.

Also maybe they don't want to pay for LIRR.

Who knows, All I know is I'm right.

Old 03-15-2023, 12:55 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,693,606 times
I don’t feel like researching it and it has probably been mentioned in this thread before, but I suspect that parking is becoming more of an issue because historically car ownership in the city has been very low. That seems to be changing, pretty significantly. If permit parking didn’t exist in the past, it’s probably because it wasn’t needed.

I first learned the ins and outs of permit street parking when I moved to Richmond VA for college wayyyy back in 1987.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:18 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,276,289 times
The official reasoning is almost always a lie. What’s happening is that tax revenue is projected to flat-line or decline over the next 5 years but the politicians in charge have staked their power in an ever expanding welfare state (aka spend more money this year than last). The state and city are desperate to find sources of revenue apart from raising income
Taxes because that game is over.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
OMG is this an act?
I used Long Island as an example. They could be driving from anywhere, including a part of Queens that doesn't have LIRR or subway access.

Also maybe they don't want to pay for LIRR.

Who knows, All I know is I'm right.
So now you are changing your tune because LI was shot down. Now let me work on shooting your new claims down next.

The parts of Queens that do not have subway or LIRR access have plenty of areas all around them that do. Most people in these areas would just take the bus and transfer to the subway hence terminal stations like Flushing and Jamaica are so busy with bus riders.

Furthermore, even accounting for those who drive to the subway, this would only affect the streets immediately around those subway/LIRR stations in the very eastern part of Queens and not the rest of Queens.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I don’t feel like researching it and it has probably been mentioned in this thread before, but I suspect that parking is becoming more of an issue because historically car ownership in the city has been very low. That seems to be changing, pretty significantly. If permit parking didn’t exist in the past, it’s probably because it wasn’t needed.

I first learned the ins and outs of permit street parking when I moved to Richmond VA for college wayyyy back in 1987.
This is more plausible and further backs my belief that many of the cars are owned by the people living there.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:44 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,276,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So now you are changing your tune because LI was shot down. Now let me work on shooting your new claims down next.

The parts of Queens that do not have subway or LIRR access have plenty of areas all around them that do. Most people in these areas would just take the bus and transfer to the subway hence terminal stations like Flushing and Jamaica are so busy with bus riders.

Furthermore, even accounting for those who drive to the subway, this would only affect the streets immediately around those subway/LIRR stations in the very eastern part of Queens and not the rest of Queens.
LIC has no parking because there are well paying jobs there (influx of workers) and plenty of commercial zones. It's not people driving in from LI to take the train to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City