Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 06:57 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,269,405 times

Advertisements

Another idea from state Democrats to get more of your money and sink it into the blackhole that is the MTA under the guise of “making parking available for residents.”

Told you the Democrats and their insatiable appetite for your money wouldn’t just stop at red light cameras, speed cameras, congestion pricing, bridges & tunnels higher tolls, etc. This is just the latest but it won’t be the last. Luckily, there are some Republican legislators pushing back on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMXvAjzEXxk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 07:08 AM

2,474 posts, read 1,246,652 times
Plus another added benefit. A new city office/patronage mill to administer this crap.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:19 AM

1,086 posts, read 565,791 times
Depending on the cost (if it's a low cost) then residential parking permits probably are good for residents who live in areas where street parking is hard to find. If the permit costs a reasonable amt per year then I think a lot of residents who spend 30 minutes daily driving around looking for parking would be glad to pay it

If it's a neighborhood where street parking is easy to find, then yeah I can see why people would not like to have to pay

"Gianaris said neighborhoods in his district — which includes parts of Long Island City and Sunnyside — are often overrun with parked cars driven by people who stash their vehicle there just to take a train into Manhattan.

“It’s not unusual to hear horror stories of people driving around their own block of their home for 30, 45 minutes at the end of the night trying to find a place to leave their car,” he said."

Old 03-15-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Depending on the cost (if it's a low cost) then residential parking permits probably are good for residents who live in areas where street parking is hard to find. If the permit costs a reasonable amt per year then I think a lot of residents who spend 30 minutes daily driving around looking for parking would be glad to pay it

If it's a neighborhood where street parking is easy to find, then yeah I can see why people would not like to have to pay

"Gianaris said neighborhoods in his district — which includes parts of Long Island City and Sunnyside — are often overrun with parked cars driven by people who stash their vehicle there just to take a train into Manhattan.

“It’s not unusual to hear horror stories of people driving around their own block of their home for 30, 45 minutes at the end of the night trying to find a place to leave their car,” he said."
This doesn’t jive. It is hard for residents to find parking spaces but easy for outsiders that don’t live there? Does parking spaces magically open up for an outsider but disappears when a resident is looking for one?

Old 03-15-2023, 07:26 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,041,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This doesn’t jive. It is hard for residents to find parking spaces but easy for outsiders that don’t live there? Does parking spaces magically open up for an outsider but disappears when a resident is looking for one?
What it would do is keep the outsiders from parking there.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:29 AM

1,086 posts, read 565,791 times
Quote:
No, right now everyone is competing for hard to find parking. Say you have 1,000 residents on a block who have cars and only 50 spots on that block. Now add 3,000 people who are driving from Long Island to look for free street parking to get on the train to the city.

So now you have 4,000 people competing for 50 spots.

With permits you are back down to the original 1,000 people who actually live there competing for the 50 spots.

I invented the numbers to give an example - you can use your own numbers but concept is the same

Old 03-15-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
What it would do is keep the outsiders from parking there.
If parking is so hard to find, it would be equally difficult for an outsider to find and that in itself would be a deterrent for most outsiders. For that reason, I suspect that the number of outsiders parking there is overblown.

If I need to go into Manhattan and I live in an area not served by trains, the idea to drive to an area where there is a train to Manhattan and park there knowing that I might need to look and look and look for a space is just not practical.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:33 AM

I think this only works if you have a lot of municipal parking lots. What happens if you have company visiting? Do they have to apply for a visitors pass? Hopefully this is DOA.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
No, right now everyone is competing for hard to find parking. Say you have 1,000 residents on a block who have cars and only 50 spots on that block. Now add 3,000 people who are driving from Long Island to look for free street parking to get on the train to the city.

So now you have 4,000 people competing for 50 spots.

With permits you are back down to the original 1,000 people who actually live there competing for the 50 spots.

I invented the numbers to give an example - you can use your own numbers but concept is the same
The concept is faulty because those 3000 people are not going to waste their time looking for one of those 50 spaces. It is not practical. It would be just as difficult for them as it would be for the resident, if not more because the resident is there already while someone from LI is only there briefly.

Like I said, the claim that a lot of the spaces are taking up by non-residents are overblown.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
The concept is faulty because those 3000 people are not going to waste their time looking for one of those 50 spaces. It is not practical. It would be just as difficult for them as it would be for the resident, if not more because the resident is there already while someone from LI is only there briefly.

Like I said, the claim that a lot of the spaces are taking up by non-residents are overblown.
Exactly, those out of state plates they show are most likely residents committing insurance fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City