Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 11:11 AM

3,503 posts, read 1,415,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
3k a month ?

i could easily do that if we give up eating , driving and health insurance .

rent and various insurances just about consume that.

i think our medicare , supplement , drug plan and dental for both of us are about 1k a month by themselves .

many of those living on 36k a year or less get other perks or subsidized perks.

with more than 50% of all rentals here stabilized , a senior who’s rent takes up 35% or more of their income qualifies under scrie to never see another rent increase.

one can get a heavily subsidized health insurance plan at 35k through the aca.

so while many do live on 36k in nyc they are either getting perks or living a pretty stressful low end life style sweating every expense.

they would really need to golden girl it
Doesn’t everyone’s job pay for health insurance?? That’s like a standard benefit of having a full time job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 11:46 AM

106,747 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Doesn’t everyone’s job pay for health insurance?? That’s like a standard benefit of having a full time job!
No way

If it isn’t a govt job most can get coverage through the workplace but they pay

How much depends on the company and what they contribute

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-19-2023 at 11:56 AM..

Old 03-19-2023, 12:25 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Well I CAN afford a car, but in my case, the cost of having one would far exceed the benefit. Here in Queens, all stores are walking distance. And since I live alone, I don't need to drive and buy in big quantities. I can walk 5 mins to the supermarket and carry everything I need. And any other items I need to buy in big quantities (like paper towel, tissues, toilet paper, etc.), I can order online for cheaper prices and have it delivered for free from Amazon. Also, I work from home and even if I did go to the office, I can take the subway. It's a lot easier to commute to Manhattan via subway than driving. Ever tried driving to Manhattan? It sucks!

So the only reason for me to own a car would be to drive somewhere outside the city for leisure. And since that's not very often, then it's not worth paying for the cost of a car, car insurance, gas and most importantly, monthly parking fees that my co-op charges if I rented parking space.

Obviously, if I moved out of NYC and to Florida, I would absolutely own a car. There would be more A LOT more use for one there and the cost of owning a car would be far offset by the lower taxes and lower cost of living.
Like I said, you're making trade-offs. You figure that you can better use that money elsewhere. When you have a car, you find uses for it. The extra ~$5K in carrying costs per year doesn't deter anyone who can afford one, even those who use their cars a few days a month.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:51 PM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
he findings may be even more staggering than you thought. According to SmartAsset's data, a $100,000 annual salary in New York City amounts to only $35,791 when those factors are considered.
Stupidity, consummate.

St6op reading DUMBAsset.

"is worth after taxes" and then they show a link to PIZZA prices. Geez, can internet info GET any more stupid?

Old 03-19-2023, 01:06 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,405,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
LOL read that again

Now, I wonder, how does one collect data?

And no sweetie this isn't about me, im perfectly fine. Nice projection.

It's on, you just don't link to see anything you don't agree with. God forbid you are shown a study that goes against what you believe.
AGAIN you did not show any credible data. lol its mind boggling that some people on these boards actually went to college lol.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:20 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
$100,000 is low income in Manhattan but it can stretch in gentrified areas in Brooklyn and Queens away from waterfront.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:53 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Having lived in and knowing very well two of the most expensive cities on that list (Honolulu and NYC), I knew this was BS before even popping open the article.

Maybe I read past it, but it doesn't even seem that the article fully explained what went into the calculations (e.g. average vs. median rent, etc., when discussing expenses). The average rent of a one bedroom in NYC is significantly higher than most NYC residents pay for a 1 bedroom apartment; the average is inflated by those super expensive luxury places, that go for significantly more than the average price. And this takes on even greater meaning when you start talking about the outer boroughs.

Old 03-19-2023, 03:59 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
$100,000 is low income in Manhattan but it can stretch in gentrified areas in Brooklyn and Queens away from waterfront.
All depends on where you want to live, how many people you're support, and what lifestyle you want to have, IMO. The median household income in Manhattan is $128k based on what I found on another site. Just under 15% of Manhattan residents live in official poverty. I wouldn't call $100k low income even in Manhattan for a single person.

Old 03-19-2023, 04:05 PM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
I should write a book but I can't afford a pen .................haha...............

Old 03-19-2023, 04:56 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
All depends on where you want to live, how many people you're support, and what lifestyle you want to have, IMO. The median household income in Manhattan is $128k based on what I found on another site. Just under 15% of Manhattan residents live in official poverty. I wouldn't call $100k low income even in Manhattan for a single person.
My ex-girlfriend was making around $120k a few years ago and lives in Manhattan.

That is plenty for a single person provided you don't require living in the most expensive parts of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City