Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 03:00 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Seriously. There are families living in NYC that survive off of less than half of that.

I agree.
If a person is influenced by the impulse of media and society
debt will always be alive and thriving.
I have witnessed the same families surviving on half of that as well.
$500 sneakers or $50 sneakers. A $30,000 car or a $3,000 car. A $100 meal or a $10 meal.
Work 2 jobs or 1 job. The goal is wealth. The idea is to work, work,work and save ,save ,save.

Walk into the Ridgewood Savings bank on Forest Ave in Ridgewood and look up at the beautiful painting.
I hope it is still there. You can not avoid it. It is so big. It's message is even bigger.

" Savings is the key to Wealth ."

We are our own financial institutions and with our own great sacrifice comes greater savings.
Do it while you are young. Enjoy it when you are old. There is nothing to get here. No excuses.
Excuses belong to those who spent their life being being poor. You only have to give of yourself.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 03-21-2023 at 03:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 03:13 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
key word is surviving …l would never want to live my life just surviving and squeaking by .

if i couldn’t afford to live at least a decent quality of life in an area that i really couldn’t afford. i would have to question my career path or why i am staying in an area where i have to stress every expense .

there is not one of us who does not have that proverbial line in the sand , below which would be a life and location unacceptable to us

there is nothing that can’t be done cheaper even if it means golden girling it .

but we all have that line where anything less then would be unacceptable to us.

so to talk about where that line is income wise is silly as everyone has a different amount to work with and a different idea of what is an acceptable life and what isn’t .

it is like the age old ridiculous discussions that go in in the retirement forum as to how much is enough .

the answer is like asking, how long is a rope ?

Old 03-21-2023, 10:24 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,540,768 times
The people that I have known that live in New York City went there for college and then stayed. They were all professionals and no one owned a car. Everything was walking distance including the hospital when they were in labor). They would rent a car if they took a driving vacation. Most people in San Francisco also don’t own cars if they live in the city because nowhere to park it and they walk everywhere or take public transit. When we go to San Francisco our car never leaves the hotel until it’s time to go home.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:47 AM

i can see not having a car in manhattan but life can be pretty miserable in most boroughs with no car .

where we are in queens the quality of life would stuck without a car …

Old 03-21-2023, 11:40 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can see not having a car in manhattan but life can be pretty miserable in most boroughs with no car .

where we are in queens the quality of life would stuck without a car …
Why? Everything is walking distance!

Old 03-22-2023, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
no way is everything in walking distance in the boroughs , that may be true in manhattan .

we use our car every single day .

especially to see our kids who are scattered in new jersey , westchester and howard beach.

we have one relatively small shopping center in walking distance..for the most part nothing we do is in walking distance

Old 03-22-2023, 02:48 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The people that I have known that live in New York City went there for college and then stayed. They were all professionals and no one owned a car. Everything was walking distance including the hospital when they were in labor). They would rent a car if they took a driving vacation. Most people in San Francisco also don’t own cars if they live in the city because nowhere to park it and they walk everywhere or take public transit. When we go to San Francisco our car never leaves the hotel until it’s time to go home.
Choosing an ideal place to live requires research can save you a bundle.
I made a point in some older posts to seek out an affordable apartment
a few blocks beyond the last transit stop be it bus or train. They are cheaper
being further from public transportation. So what. Walk a few blocks to the train
or bus on the end of the line. No car necessary. No car to buy, no insurance,no registration,
no inspection,no upkeep, No gas, Phenomenal savings. $ 500-$1,000 a month.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:05 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
Quote:
It's pretty crazy how hard it is to reach $100K here in NYC. You would think with the high cost of living here, jobs would try to pay better salaries, but companies can be surprisingly cheap. I graduated in 2009 with a Bachelor and Master's degree and started out only making around $32K. It wasn't until last year where I finally got up to the 100K threshold. So that means it took me 13 years to get there, and I've had to switch jobs twice over those 13 years to help speed that up a bit! And it's hard to believe I work the SAME amount of hours now than I did when I was making poverty income. Companies today can be quite abusive with the amount of work and hours they require from people only making $30-40K.
What major did you do and which jobs did you have? That sounds a bit slow for NYC pay if you have a graduate degree in a field in demand.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:20 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,370 times
First, your job won't pay the same in NYC vs the rest of the country, so that itself is a fallacious argument. Now some jobs are still a bit better than others.

For example, I know a job that gives you a base from $180K to $270K. If we assume that you can really get $180K as a minimum in Oklahoma where $100K supposedly gives you $86K instead of $36K as in NYC, then the calculation would be the below.

Oklahoma - $180K base, $154K.
NYC - $97K.

Now this is where I think the calculator is completely off. At $270K base, you are not living with $97K only. That's pure nonsense. So something is way off with their methodology and unless they can break it down, I think the claim is completely bogus.

And, you may earn far way less than $180K in Oklahoma for that $270K base job in NYC even if the job description says so.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:01 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Mathjak and myself are both in NE Queens. You need a car here to get around. Things are more spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City