Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 01:55 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times

Advertisements

I'll add to my previous post ..some of my best friends were of Italian heritage. Had a couple "after school bouts" with a couple(this was long before schools made settling issues "that way" a bad thing). And yes...I thoroughly got thumped in one of those situations. We both became friends afterwards. Had numerous friends in the service who were of Italian heritage. Will even admit to getting "shot down" by a few hot girls with that same heritage. Maybe it's a thing in bigger metro areas...but I just didn't see any of it...even though I am not of that heritage.

Old 04-08-2023, 10:55 PM

28 posts, read 13,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Not too long ago Italians would break knees with a bat. Jut saying.

Maybe that maybe is why people see us the italians as the bad people. Like in the cinema. But many of us are not bad people

Old 04-08-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Italian is not a race, you are still considered white (Caucasian) and therefore not in a protected class. .

You are wrong about the italian race. I am an italian and I am not white because I look more like the arabic. Most italians have dark skin like arabia. But maybe italian in america are mixed with anglo saxon and maybe thats why they look like lighter skin color. Most of people of italy look like from saudi arabia or north africa

Old 04-08-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
I grew up few miles from a town with a reasonably sized Italian population. Went to the same school they did. Don't recall any specific acts of discrimination..at all.

Good. But maybe people do not discriminate at italians because italian they live in italian community. But if italian live in white community like texas or other place like that they get discriminate because its outside they italian community

Old 04-08-2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I do not know how to help you other than to say I feel for you. It is terrible to hear of such things. I recall in the 1980s when my irish girlfriend's older sister brought an italian boy home, her irish dad in his accent said something along the lines of, "I would rather she marry an n-word than a f'ing w** (derogatory work for italians)." I was shocked then and I am shocked now. No one should have to deal with such hatred. I encourage you to keep calling the police and keep living your life. !

Oh yes thank yuo for kind words.

My cousin visit Spain and the people in Spain so racist. They call him italiano mono or arabe. The Spain is very racist even to the futbol team members who are not white. I will do as you advises and thank you for again the kind words

Old 04-09-2023, 08:24 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Italian is not a race, you are still considered white (Caucasian) and therefore not in a protected class. Apart from actual crimes committed against you, there is no legal minority status for us white folks to motivate the police or judges from saying things about you. I would learn to ignore it, until you are able to move.
One hundred years ago that wasn't true. Italians were not considered white people and there was a great deal of prejudice against Italian immigrants. But then they started sharing their food...

My grandfather, who was an Archie Bunker type born in 1905, told my mother never to date an Italian because they don't bathe and they all have sex with their daughters. (He didn't live long enough to see my sister marry the black guy!)

But in general, southern Italians are of mixed race from way back due to the proximity to Africa and the Middle East and the trade routes in the Mediterranean. My former priest, born in Italy of Italian parents got his DNA done, and he is 44% Middle Eastern. There was a guy on the genealogy forum here who knew all his grandparents had come from Italy but who showed up with a percentage of African in his genes.

Racism is just plain stupid. Sorry you've run into stupid, OP.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:36 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
What exactly do you want done? An adult will not change unless their life depends on it. You either need to ignore them or move to a neighborhood in which people mind their own business.

Humans discriminate against other humans over trivial things... news at 11.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:01 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Can you imagine? In this day and age. Prejudice against Italians.
LOL!!! I see what you did there.

Old 04-09-2023, 10:18 AM

96 posts, read 35,760 times
Prior to what like 3 years ago, the word racist was barely thrown around. 20 years ago it was rare in comparison.

Only a few years ago, holding prejudices was not that groundbreaking of a deal. Most people just kept it to themselves.

The true definition is prejudicial. It is when a group pisses someone off enough times that the human brain says forget this, I am not associating with anyone in that group anymore and I don’t care if it is just because of a few bad apples. They just draw a wall up entirely.

It’s nothing we need social justice warrior children to burn down the whole town about. It is nothing we need social justice liberals to get you fired and blackmail your entire family about. Having a nuclear emotional meltdown based upon falsities is not necessary. And we don’t need a big angry gay parade of rioters either.

Holding onto prejudice is a natural thing.

And you can’t blame Trump about it either.

Move to a neighborhood with more Italian people around you.

Old 04-09-2023, 10:33 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
The Melting Pot

Give me your humbled masses and all that

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City