Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 05:54 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLF View Post
I thought Astoria was considered a nice safe part of queens?
29 years ago when it was Greek. Now it’s not so Greek .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2023, 07:40 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Astoria is fine, as long as you aren't afraid of diversity. Yes, it is not as Greek as it was 30 years ago, but there are still a sizable amount of Greeks living there or owning the buildings there, so any real decline is because people are selling for profit. There are some mediocre houses there now selling for close to $1 million dollars, so it is overpriced if anything. That said, most of the "diversity" coming is from South America (including Brazilians), so that's the change people are talking about. There are not many Blacks overall in Astoria if you don't include the housing projects, which are away from most of the neighborhood.

I've been doing business with an Italian family for years that owned a restaurant in the City pre-COVID. They have lived in Astoria for decades and still do today, so if it was so bad, such families would've packed up and left. Some Greeks like other ethnic groups want to move on once they become middle class, so you do have some Greeks that have left Astoria to NE Queens (Whitestone, Beechhurst, Bay Terrace, etc.) or Long Island, but that is nothing unusual or necessarily a statement that Astoria is in decline. Neighborhoods change. Astoria is still fairly safe and one incident where people from outside the neighborhood are killed is not indicative of the entire area. People have cars and drive to areas they don't live in all the time. If neighborhoods were judged based on that, they would all be in serious decline.

Old 04-08-2023, 09:29 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Astoria is generally safe, but Steinway is absolute garbage.
I thought Steinway St. is a legend.

Old 04-09-2023, 02:13 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Astoria is fine, as long as you aren't afraid of diversity. Yes, it is not as Greek as it was 30 years ago, but there are still a sizable amount of Greeks living there or owning the buildings there, so any real decline is because people are selling for profit. There are some mediocre houses there now selling for close to $1 million dollars, so it is overpriced if anything. That said, most of the "diversity" coming is from South America (including Brazilians), so that's the change people are talking about. There are not many Blacks overall in Astoria if you don't include the housing projects, which are away from most of the neighborhood.

I've been doing business with an Italian family for years that owned a restaurant in the City pre-COVID. They have lived in Astoria for decades and still do today, so if it was so bad, such families would've packed up and left. Some Greeks like other ethnic groups want to move on once they become middle class, so you do have some Greeks that have left Astoria to NE Queens (Whitestone, Beechhurst, Bay Terrace, etc.) or Long Island, but that is nothing unusual or necessarily a statement that Astoria is in decline. Neighborhoods change. Astoria is still fairly safe and one incident where people from outside the neighborhood are killed is not indicative of the entire area. People have cars and drive to areas they don't live in all the time. If neighborhoods were judged based on that, they would all be in serious decline.
You're rants are always so off the deep end, one never knows where to start with you.

- What does being worried about drive by shootings on Steinway have to do with being "afraid" of diversity. Such a moronic statement.

- One incident? Are you delusional? Astoria is getting hit hard in many parts with many types of crimes. Oh, and btw, city council nazi Tiffany Caban is one of the main reasons why. She openly hates the NYPD and is pro criminal big time. You don't think the 114 pct notices this? Of course they do. They aren't policing any part of Astoria, and the perps know it.

-Astoria's decline. Of course it is declining. EVERY neighborhood is on the decline and that would include Astoria. However some are declining more dangerously than others. Bayside is still a hella lot safer than Astoria. Why? Cause the folks living there demand it. Vicki Paladino demands it. The 111pct hauls ass when we tell them to. Astoria is a cesspool of crime compared to just 10 years ago, nevermind 30.

Old 04-09-2023, 07:24 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
You're rants are always so off the deep end, one never knows where to start with you.

- What does being worried about drive by shootings on Steinway have to do with being "afraid" of diversity. Such a moronic statement.

- One incident? Are you delusional? Astoria is getting hit hard in many parts with many types of crimes. Oh, and btw, city council nazi Tiffany Caban is one of the main reasons why. She openly hates the NYPD and is pro criminal big time. You don't think the 114 pct notices this? Of course they do. They aren't policing any part of Astoria, and the perps know it.

-Astoria's decline. Of course it is declining. EVERY neighborhood is on the decline and that would include Astoria. However some are declining more dangerously than others. Bayside is still a hella lot safer than Astoria. Why? Cause the folks living there demand it. Vicki Paladino demands it. The 111pct hauls ass when we tell them to. Astoria is a cesspool of crime compared to just 10 years ago, nevermind 30.
You make it seem like everybody should just stay inside. Is that what we should do?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-09-2023, 08:44 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post

Vicki Paladino is great and stands up for the community. I voted for her. That said, my "rants" are in response to your ongoing, racist rhetoric. I mentioned diversity in Astoria because that was the premise for you and a few other people commenting about how Astoria is on the decline because it isn't as Greek as it used to be, a regular tactic that you like to use... Fewer Whites=Less desirable in your mind. I'm sorry to tell you this, but there is no utopia anywhere here in NYC. Yes, I agree that crime is up across a number of neighborhoods, especially here in Queens, but people have to live somewhere, so I'm not sure where you think the OP is supposed to live?

I have met some racist people in my day, but they were generally older than you. You rant about how you were born in the 70s. I thought people from the 70s were a bit more open minded to diversity? All of your posts are about race, how neighborhoods are declining and belittling people of color, especially Black men and Hispanics. Do you think about anything else during the course of your day? I'm Republican and I'm embarrassed to say that you are registered to the same political party as I belong to in 2023.

Growing up some of my friends... Their parents were racist... I can recall an incident where I was at a friend's house and the parents were talking about how they thought they had left "them" behind, them being Jewish people. You sound like one of those types that went around Whitestone not too long ago screaming racist slurs, etc. I would be shocked if you weren't part of that incident. Living in NE Queens, I'm sure you know of the incident I'm referring to that was by the Cross Island Parkway. I'm all for safe streets and low crime, but leave the racist nonsense out of it.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:22 AM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times
Quote:
I think Queens, in general, is very peaceful. Though admittedly, I’m a bit shocked to hear about that shooting in Astoria. I walk there all the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City