Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 02:59 PM

96 posts, read 35,618 times

Advertisements

Let’s say your neighborhood has 1000 restaurants and all the sudden 500 of the underperforming restaurants closed forever. Would you still be able to survive with only 500 restaurants in your neighborhood?

The outcries would last a day or two then the only ones complaining would be the rats, mice and cockroaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
The problem with going totally cashless is for one, it allows places like bars and restaurants to charge a CC fee that you can no longer avoid. For example, I ALWAYS pay cash whenever I go somewhere that charges an extra CC fee, which is becoming more and more common. Second, paying cash (especially in busy bars) gives me a lot more control of my money and I KNOW for sure how much I am really being charged for every order, and not worry about them overcharging my card, giving themselves an automatic gratuity, mixing up my tab with someone else's, and not losing my card. I have witnessed all of this crap at bars and proud to only use cash when going to a bar and sometimes restaurants too. Cash is king because you have full control over how much you are handing out at any given time. Now, when it comes to grocery shopping or transit, I always use credit card because there aren't any surprise fees in those instances and I get a little cash back for using my card.
Today I ordered food to-go. The person at the register said I can save 10% if paying by cash. I used my card instead, paying more just to spite them. And just to spite all restaurants everywhere in NYC.

Of course I picked the food up from the restaurant myself because I refuse to have the masked moped guys deliver my stuff. But when you sit down at these restaurants you had Better Believe you are paying extra hidden fees for all the yuppies who order food to be delivered by the niqab wearing moped guys.

I repeat: You are paying for those deliveries whether you like it or not it is all fixed into your bills. And you still want to enjoy restaurant meals after they fleece you repeatedly? You like that? Don’t even get me started.

Old 04-09-2023, 12:06 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
Today I ordered food to-go. The person at the register said I can save 10% if paying by cash. I used my card instead, paying more just to spite them. And just to spite all restaurants everywhere in NYC.

Of course I picked the food up from the restaurant myself because I refuse to have the masked moped guys deliver my stuff. But when you sit down at these restaurants you had Better Believe you are paying extra hidden fees for all the yuppies who order food to be delivered by the niqab wearing moped guys.

I repeat: You are paying for those deliveries whether you like it or not it is all fixed into your bills. And you still want to enjoy restaurant meals after they fleece you repeatedly? You like that? Don’t even get me started.
Anything that somebody else does for you is considered a luxury in my book

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-09-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Anything that somebody else does for you is considered a luxury in my book
Just to cliff note my thoughts: they weaponized the NYC restaurant industry against the customers.

Old 04-09-2023, 12:21 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-water View Post
Just to cliff note my thoughts: they weaponized the NYC restaurant industry against the customers.
I mean its either you pay or you don't, so whats the problem

You either pay with your money (ordering) or your time (buying the ingredients and cooking it yourself)

Either way you pay

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-10-2023, 08:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
A growing handful of New York City restaurants are determined not to handle cash
They don't take your cash...just walk out without paying.

Old 04-10-2023, 11:47 AM

If NYC went ahead with my plan and just shut down 80% of the restaurants and only kept the best of them, I’d be cool with that.

A whole lot of restaurants in this city will never achieve longevity and profitability. My estimation is that 80% or more do not make the grade.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:58 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
They don't take your cash...just walk out without paying.
I agree with you on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: