Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 06:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by From157 View Post
LL is not obligated by law to fumigate other apartments. However, spoke to the super and no other tenant complained. It could be because they do not want to deal with the problem. It's a lot of work the tenant has to do in order to fumigate. We have to pack our entire apartment and put everything in bags. My neighbors leave garbage in front of their doors for days...no one cares here.
Forget about what the LL is required to do by law. And are you sure that's even true? Don't take any single person's word on who complained. I gave you a few viable suggestions, and you don't seem to be interested in trying any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 05:35 PM

19 posts, read 18,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
You're right, and I apologize for my insensitive post to you. I lived in a prewar building that had leaky pipes that attracted waterbugs. It was an extreme nightmare for me since I have a phobia for those things, and there was nothing the lazy ass landlord did to put me out of my misery. I finally moved to a new building ending that horrendous nightmare.
Thank you for the apology.

I am so sorry you went through that nightmare! I know someone whom is going through the water bug nightmare, right now and has a phobia of those pesty pest! It truly sucks. Glad you are long go from that place.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Forget about what the LL is required to do by law. And are you sure that's even true? Don't take any single person's word on who complained. I gave you a few viable suggestions, and you don't seem to be interested in trying any of them.
Well, if the judge and HPD lied during court where they swore to oath, that the landlord is only obligated by law to only fumigate the apartment that has complained...then where has this world come too..

Old 04-14-2023, 06:04 PM

I AM GOING TO SAY THIS FOR THOSE LEARNING ABOUT GETTING RID OF BED BUGS IN APARTMENTS...or have bed bugs...

TENANTS MUST COME TOGETHER...it's not a 1 person's fight.

If you have bed bugs--PLEASE ADMIT IT...

I understand it's a big job and displays people from the home for 24 hours if you have pets, having respiratory problems or get sick from the smell of the chemicals...but the situation gets worse and worse for everyone in the building including the people keeping it quite.

NO you can not get rid of the bed bugs on your own in a building setting--so please don't try.

EVERYONE in NY should work together to:

Get rid of bed bugs

To make it the law that landlords have to fumigate the other apartments as well

That when we have to be displaced from our home for 24 hours--or more for those really sensitive to the chemicals, that the landlord places the family in a safe place till the job is done.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:25 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From157 View Post
Well, if the judge and HPD lied during court where they swore to oath, that the landlord is only obligated by law to only fumigate the apartment that has complained...then where has this world come too..
Landlords are required to keep their buildings vermin free. How that rolls out on the ground however is another matter.

First everyone please stop using word "fumigate". True fumigation is an extensive and complicated process which requires making a structure air tight/sealing then introducing gas or fumes to exterminate various vermin. Obviously that would be a huge undertaking for even a five or six story apartment building much less anything taller.

If by "fumigation" people mean setting off "roach bombs or fogger" type of things that may work, but you've still got one main issue. Fumes will only get at bugs where air circulates. Thus bugs in walls, cracks, crevices, deep inside furniture or furnishings likely won't be bothered. Ditto for those hiding out in units next door, above or below.

For all vermin infestations obvious solution is to be proactive and exterminate entire building or major areas (such as basements where rats and mice get into a building). But law is sort of funny about this; if one tenant complains about an issue that is what will usually be addressed. If other tenants say they don't have an issue, don't want to be bothered, etc... then it's just the person complaining all by their lonesome.

This is why some tenants in multi-family housing simply pack up and move (if possible) when their apartment has a persistent vermin issue. If other tenants are nasty, don't want to be bothered, etc... a landlord's options are limited. Yes, he can force issue by taking reluctant tenants to court to gain access for extermination, but that is a costly and long process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: