Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 09:24 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Thank you Patty! The fact that NY’ers hate you means you did the cops right. Exactly what we kept electing you to do.

Now move out of that failed state and enjoy your retirement!
So, it's only about the cops and not the NY'ers those cops are sworn to protect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 09:56 AM

61 posts, read 65,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
So, it's only about the cops and not the NY'ers those cops are sworn to protect.
Those NYers only help pay their salaries, most join the force for a paycheck.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:12 AM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Yup. That’s exactly what a union president is there for: their members.

You know 100% you’d never expect anything else from another union president. Why should cops be different?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2023, 10:15 AM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixmom View Post
In the end, that’s exactly what I was forced to accept.

Every good thing I ever did on that pointless job was wiped out not by my actions… not even by a fellow NYPD cop’s actions… but by an incident that happened 2000 miles away.

So damned right indeed, it was all about those Benjamins baby! And now, I don’t even have to work to get them! Can’t beat that with a nightstick. You guys are going to pay me more in only 10 years of retirement than I made working 18 years!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-13-2023, 12:29 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Cops are laughing all the way to bank because of him. He got me raises throughout my career that civilian cop haters could only dream of. I went from $32,500 in 2002 to $147,000 in 2020. In large part because of him, my pension is nearly 6 figures before even being finalized.

Thank you Patty! The fact that NY’ers hate you means you did the cops right. Exactly what we kept electing you to do.

Now move out of that failed state and enjoy your retirement!
NYC cops, as you just evidenced, have some of the lowest pay grades in the country. that's why moost with a braaaain, go to other counties of the state to start better off. the fact that you really think you're comfortable, and that Pat Lynch actually did something, in terms of paaaay, when it took you 2 mf decades for you to top out at six figures, which is still "scraping by" by nyc standards is fuggin fascinating

Old 04-13-2023, 12:59 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixmom View Post
Who helps pay their salaries? Almost 60% of working age NYCers pay ZERO in income taxes. A sizable portion of this 60% sit on all types of welfare programs sucking even more money out of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
NYC cops, as you just evidenced, have some of the lowest pay grades in the country. that's why moost with a braaaain, go to other counties of the state to start better off. the fact that you really think you're comfortable, and that Pat Lynch actually did something, in terms of paaaay, when it took you 2 mf decades for you to top out at six figures, which is still "scraping by" by nyc standards is fuggin fascinating
The jealousy just oozes from this post. Can you please show me other jobs where someone can retire with an $80K+ pension after 20-22 years (many in their 40s where they can still work another job for 20 years) of service all the while making a top 20% salary after 5 years?

Starting salaries have always been low but the bumps through 7 years and the pension/benefits MORE than make up for it.
LI and Westchester cops are just outliers. No one anywhere in the nation has it as good as them except for maybe a few wealthy cities in CA.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Yep, two decades to make it to 6 figures.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Who helps pay their salaries? Almost 60% of working age NYCers pay ZERO in income taxes. A sizable portion of this 60% sit on all types of welfare programs sucking even more money out of the system.

The jealousy just oozes from this post. Can you please show me other jobs where someone can retire with an $80K+ pension after 20-22 years (many in their 40s where they can still work another job for 20 years) of service all the while making a top 20% salary after 5 years?

Starting salaries have always been low but the bumps through 7 years and the pension/benefits MORE than make up for it.
LI and Westchester cops are just outliers. No one anywhere in the nation has it as good as them except for maybe a few wealthy cities in CA.
Which confirms what I said, for some, joining the force is a calling with hopes off making a difference, for most it's just a cash grab and their performances show. They hate being cops, approach the job like they're gangsters instead of officers. That's all I'm saying.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:04 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Quote:
In the end, that’s exactly what I was forced to accept.

Every good thing I ever did on that pointless job was wiped out not by my actions… not even by a fellow NYPD cop’s actions… but by an incident that happened 2000 miles away.

So damned right indeed, it was all about those Benjamins baby! And now, I don’t even have to work to get them! Can’t beat that with a nightstick. You guys are going to pay me more in only 10 years of retirement than I made working 18 years!
What the Gov't gives, the Gov't can take away.

The pension was promised by politicians, who can not be trusted ever. Always have a contingency plan. But you know this.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:33 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
What the Gov't gives, the Gov't can take away.

The pension was promised by politicians, who can not be trusted ever. Always have a contingency plan. But you know this.
There’s a better chance of NYC going bankrupt then going after pensions. There’s always an out to paying inflated pensions costs and that’s taxing more. Pensions are about as safe as T-bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City