Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 03:26 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ok, he was already out on bail for attempted murder, you think this person said to themselves, hey apparently its easier to get away with it, so he went ahead to kill 2 more people, and then on top of that, got caught? That's merely speculation. The truth is you or nobody else knows what motivated him to continue. And the speculation invites fear-mongering. It's the slow down to watch the car wreck phenomenon, that's another reason why the people least affected by NYC crime read all the crime stories.

And the bolded is why bail reform exists, you can't make it more financially convenient to commit crimes. Two commit the same crime, but one gets to go home because his bank account is fatter? Thats the point of bail reform.

speculation invites fear-mongering.
When you don't know something you fear it until you understand it.
Apparently no one has learned to understand it.
I know enough not to go into a dense forest an night without a gun.
for fear of being eaten by bears or wolves.
No gun ? Chances are greater I'll become a victim.

Since I can't walk around parts of this crazy city without a gun
it appears that rather than taking my chance of becoming a victim
avoiding the arena of the unknown is the only logical solution.

No bail. period !
An appropriate answer to this unfairness until this nonsense is sorted out.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 04-17-2023 at 03:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 06:35 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. These are the same people who probably support the disarming of law abiding citizens and these insane bail reform laws. Sorry to see people get assaulted, but you reap what you sow.

In today's world, I refuse to be a good Samaritan in a city/state that is hellbent on catering to the criminal crowd while leaving the law abiding defenseless.
all excellent points

Old 04-17-2023, 06:37 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
speculation invites fear-mongering.
When you don't know something you fear it until you understand it.
Apparently no one has learned to understand it.
I know enough not to go into a dense forest an night without a gun.
for fear of being eaten by bears or wolves.
No gun ? Chances are greater I'll become a victim.

Since I can't walk around parts of this crazy city without a gun
it appears that rather than taking my chance of becoming a victim
avoiding the arena of the unknown is the only logical solution.

No bail. period !
An appropriate answer to this unfairness until this nonsense is sorted out.
So everybody that goes camping at night in forests takes guns with them? To piggyback off your metaphor.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-17-2023, 07:51 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So everybody that goes camping at night in forests takes guns with them? To piggyback off your metaphor.
Ideally yes.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:05 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
The government is basically getting out of the business of public safety protection. The actual crimes that the government only goes after are those with income that they can extract and levy fines against. Anyone without any assets, they don't care if they are a menace to society because there's no free lunch in jail anymore.

Old 04-17-2023, 10:08 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Ideally yes.
Ideally? Lol ok.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-17-2023, 10:27 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Funny how all the hate crimes seem to happen in the bluest cities that were suppose to be really tolerant.

And here we are being told by Biden and the Democrats that the people we need to fear are right wingers in red states but you almost never hear about hate crimes in those places.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_tJvJ0ass
Funny how the "mental giant" conservatives can't put two and two together. The location has little to do with the crime versus the people present who could have come from anywhere given Times Square's accessibility and statement provoking status as the heart of NYC. Jethro and Cletus have zero barrier to entry from rural NY or NJ where believe it or not isn't all blue. Hate crimes bv nature happen in blue cities where the victims tend to reside, there's nothing "funny" or odd about it. And hate crimes do happen in red states where they tend to go unreported given police department ambivalence and a local culture more prone to shaming the victim. There's a societal equivalence to rape and rape victims, read up utilizing non-politicized sources.

Old 04-17-2023, 01:36 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Funny how the "mental giant" conservatives can't put two and two together. The location has little to do with the crime versus the people present who could have come from anywhere given Times Square's accessibility and statement provoking status as the heart of NYC. Jethro and Cletus have zero barrier to entry from rural NY or NJ where believe it or not isn't all blue. Hate crimes bv nature happen in blue cities where the victims tend to reside, there's nothing "funny" or odd about it. And hate crimes do happen in red states where they tend to go unreported given police department ambivalence and a local culture more prone to shaming the victim. There's a societal equivalence to rape and rape victims, read up utilizing non-politicized sources.
So now it’s rural folks coming to Times Square to attack gay people. You liberals certainly have imagination. I am certain even you don’t believe the BS you just thought up. Watch the video, the attacker is black and almost certainly from the city, not Oneonta NY.

Also funny how you claim that in blue cities, there’s a good chance that it is conservatives doing the hate crimes but then you go on to say that hate crimes can happen in red areas but leave out the part where liberals can go there too. Even in red areas, there are liberals.

Clearly you have not ever left your liberal bubble because if you have you would know that folks in red rural areas are actually very friendly and have a live and let live attitude versus the so called big city liberals who are intolerant of opposing ideas/thoughts. Who are the ones always angry and protesting and rioting?

BTW, it is well known that blacks are particularly homophobic and anti-Semitic, meaning they are responsible for most of the attacks on those two groups. They also vote overwhelmingly Democrat.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
red states but you almost never hear about hate crimes in those places.

The operative word is HEAR

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-22-2023 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-22-2023, 10:23 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
It is 2023 in NYC. almost all crime stats are skyrocketing. LGBT groups have various privileges nowadays but no crime immunity (yet), very disappointed. If I were gay walking with my partner in Times Square, I would not hold hands in broad daylight in 2023 to avoid being targeted. While many people are conditioned to accept being gay as one of many life styles and choices, there are still many who refuse to accept it so it is wise to keep a low gay profile while in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City