Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 08:01 PM

86 posts, read 124,565 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I need information about this. I'm planning a trip to New York in July of 2023. I want to know what types of crimes I should be aware of and what safety precautions i should take. I've watched news clips on YouTube of people being pushed onto subway tracks. Is that still a potential danger and if so what are tips for riding the subway safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 09:28 PM

5,687 posts, read 2,617,362 times
Anything can happen anywhere at any time. You can't prevent life from happening. Just be aware of yourself and your surroundings.

Old 04-27-2023, 11:45 PM

9 posts, read 5,092 times
If you can be street smart it is probably not too huge of a deal. It helps tourists to be in groups and to behave like total tourists with no shame about how they are out of their element. It helps to not be out and vulnerable at night time. That probably puts you into a safety area.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:36 AM

789 posts, read 488,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygrant View Post
Hello. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I need information about this. I'm planning a trip to New York in July of 2023. I want to know what types of crimes I should be aware of and what safety precautions i should take. I've watched news clips on YouTube of people being pushed onto subway tracks. Is that still a potential danger and if so what are tips for riding the subway safely.
Here's what I'd tell a family member, of which I've had many visit from Europe over the years.

- Try to stay in Manhattan. If you head out to Brooklyn or another borough, have someone take you that knows the areas. Outside of Manhattan in places like the Bronx/BK/Queens is where the local criminal element lives. They know a tourist when they see one, especially if you're white. At the most, I'd walk across the BK bridge during the day with other tourists but no further.

- Manhattan is generally safe during the day and at night around crowds. However, I would avoid anything above central park starting around 94st. So I wouldn't go any further north than the Upper West and Upper East sides. I'd also stay away from the Penn station/Madison Square Garden area. Lots of random crime happens there at night. And the only other area I'd avoid would be the Lower East Side (alphabet city). I'd also visit but be careful around Washington Square Park and Union square. Can be lots of fun but there are criminals lurking.

Listen, the rule of the subway is don't be on it late at night alone. Stay around lots of people. DO NOT step up close to the edge while waiting for the train. Stay back and keep everyone in FRONT OF YOU. If you're out late, get a uber.

Finally, I'd tell my family member just keep your eyes open for anyone wearing a hoody along with a covid mask. They need to be watched. NOBODY is wearing a covid mask these days, especially with a hoody unless they are up to no good.

Oh, if you have time and feel a comfortable, take a taxi or uber over the Queensboro bridge for a ride out to Long Island city and to a place called Gantry Plaza which is right on the East river and has the best view of Manhattan you'll ever get. Even with traffic, the ride over the bridge is 20 minutes at most. Also the ride back to Manhattan is one of the most famous movie scenes in history. Take the upper level for the greatest view you'll ever have.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-29-2023 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Old 04-28-2023, 12:47 AM

9 posts, read 5,092 times
[quote=islanders2021;65207697]
Quote:
Hello. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I need information about this. I'm planning a trip to New York in July of 2023. I want to know what types of crimes I should be aware of and what safety precautions i should take. I've watched news clips on YouTube of people being pushed onto subway tracks. Is that still a potential danger and if so what are tips for riding the subway safely.[/QUOT

Here's what I'd tell a family member, of which I've had many visit from Europe over the years.

- Try to stay in Manhattan. If you head out to Brooklyn or another borough, have someone take you that knows the areas. Outside of Manhattan in places like the Bronx/BK/Queens is where the local criminal element lives. They know a tourist when they see one, especially if you're white. At the most, I'd walk across the BK bridge during the day with other tourists but no further.

- Manhattan is generally safe during the day and at night around crowds. However, I would avoid anything above central park starting around 94st. So I wouldn't go any further north than the Upper West and Upper East sides. I'd also stay away from the Penn station/Madison Square Garden area. Lots of random crime happens there at night. And the only other area I'd avoid would be the Lower East Side (alphabet city). I'd also visit but be careful around Washington Square Park and Union square. Can be lots of fun but there are criminals lurking.

Listen, the rule of the subway is don't be on it late at night alone. Stay around lots of people. DO NOT step up close to the edge while waiting for the train. Stay back and keep everyone in FRONT OF YOU. If you're out late, get a uber.

Finally, I'd tell my family member just keep your eyes open for anyone wearing a hoody along with a covid mask. They need to be watched. NOBODY is wearing a covid mask these days, especially with a hoody unless they are up to no good.

Oh, if you have time and feel a comfortable, take a taxi or uber over the Queensboro bridge for a ride out to Long Island city and to a place called Gantry Plaza which is right on the East river and has the best view of Manhattan you'll ever get. Even with traffic, the ride over the bridge is 20 minutes at most. Also the ride back to Manhattan is one of the most famous movie scenes in history. Take the upper level for the greatest view you'll ever have.
Tourists mostly stay in Manhattan and Brooklyn only if the hotels rope them into staying in Brooklyn at a cheaper price. It’s a scam because 9/10 times most tourists would rather stay in Midtown but oh, they can’t because the illegal invaders need permanent housing there because “It’s close to all the action” for the invaders.

It probably does not help that Manhattan has millions of illegal alien invaders who hate Americans either: make no mistake the cartel guys on their free mopeds hate Americans serverly.

I have documented the invaders in Manhattan with photographs. You can see in any photos that whoever they are aware of being filmed that they absolutely hate Americans. Oh no! Don’t film the precious invader class! Oh no!

So but really in NYC today it is hard to describe any truth today without being blamed for stating the truths.

Personally I recommend against tourists visiting NYC: the place was invaded and ruined. The tourists were replaced by invaders. And the middle class are replaced by these invaders. And you are not allowed to point it out either.

Just stay away from NYC

Old 04-28-2023, 04:54 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
As already posted just before aware of your surroundings as crime can happen at any time, but it doesn't happen all the time!

Old 04-28-2023, 05:13 AM

16,085 posts, read 6,860,239 times
[quote=islanders2021;65207697]
Quote:
.[/QUOT

Outside of Manhattan in places like the Bronx/BK/Queens is where the local criminal element lives. They know a tourist when they see one, especially if you're white. At the most, I'd walk across the BK bridge during the day with other tourists but no further.

Good points.

May I add,
the late steamy and humid summer months are the highest crime
rates for certain types of crimes as compared to frigid and snowy winters.

Assaults and alcoholism come to mind as the choice of summer criminal recreation.

Me? I would stay away from any high crime area even if it means not visiting N.Y. until
our politicians can get a handle on this out of control behavior that is ruining our once
beloved city.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:31 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,752,206 times
You don't have to use the subway, there are buses, taxis, Uber, etc. and most places you likely want to see are walkable from Times Square. If you get a chance, visit Summit 1 Vanderbilt, it's a brand new building with exterior glass elevators and amazing views of NYC.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:58 AM

1,066 posts, read 547,349 times
Crime can happen at any time but if you think about the numbers, it's highly unlikely to happen to YOU in the few days or week that you're here. 2.4 million riders are on the subways every day. I'm not good with math but if you read about one incident per week which is usually very late at night, where someone gets knifed or pushed, and you have 2.4 million riders per day that means your chances are very low.

You might instead review safe street crossing, which means even when you're in the crosswalk be aware there are drivers that can mow you down.

Other than that I think you're good

If you want you can look at the earth cams for Times Sqaure which are 24/7 and you'll see tourists out at all times of day or night https://www.earthcam.com/cams/newyor...e/?cam=tsrobo1

Old 04-28-2023, 08:40 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,089,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As already posted just before aware of your surroundings as crime can happen at any time, but it doesn't happen all the time!
Exactly. At all times be aware of who is around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: