Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2023, 12:18 PM

30 posts, read 22,098 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I just came back from my check up and I was informed that I need about (4) fillings but my insurance will be maxed out after the first visit.

That being said, is it possible to shop around for dental work? Meaning since I already know what work needs to be done can I call around to get the price? So far a few said I would have to come in but I call bull****. I can have my x rays sent over and any notes from doctor sent as well.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for affordable dentist please let me know. It crazy one doctor can charge 500 for one filling and another can charge 200 for the same filling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 02:19 PM

1,064 posts, read 546,855 times
I haven't tried it myself but there are dentists in training at NYU who I think give a discounted rate. https://dental.nyu.edu/patientcare/faq.html

Also I remember once looking around for a dentist and there was one on Yelp in Flushing that had tons of really good reviews. I'm not sure how much you can trust online reviews but they seemed to be real at first glance. So maybe look for reviews in neighborhoods that might have cheaper dentists

The one I go to in Manhattan isn't cheap

Old 05-03-2023, 03:01 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,667,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I haven't tried it myself but there are dentists in training at NYU who I think give a discounted rate. https://dental.nyu.edu/patientcare/faq.html
Good suggestion. While at NYU grad school I went to NYU Dental, it was free. But, be prepared to wait a LONG time for excellent dental care, maybe it has gotten better in the 35 years since!

Old 05-04-2023, 06:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
can I call around to get the price
None will give you the price over the phone.

Quote:
But, be prepared to wait a LONG time for excellent dental care
There is no such thing.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:15 AM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Good suggestion. While at NYU grad school I went to NYU Dental, it was free. But, be prepared to wait a LONG time for excellent dental care, maybe it has gotten better in the 35 years since!
Knew people at college who also went to NYU for dental care (they have something called "StuDent" plan for college and graduate students), nearly all said never again. Ditto for others who were looking for affordable or at least low cost dental care.

Basically NYU dental clinic is just that; a clinic for low income or others seeking "affordable" dental care. Nearly all the actual work is done by dental and hygienist students with professors and deans supervising.

There is little quality control; students are who they are and since this is part of their course work (as opposed to paying customers) some don't have exactly charming chairside manners.

First and foremost being a clinic things that would take one visit to a normal dentist can take two, three, four or more visits at NYU. You'll spend endless hours sitting and waiting and or sent on wild goose chases to have this or that done.

X-rays? At a private dentist they are normally done in same office if not chair; not at NYU, your appointment will be stopped and you will be sent to down to x-ray to cool your jets waiting for an appointment which most certainly won't be on same day. Again remember staffing for such things as well is mostly students, so numbers available to do work depends upon how many are assigned.

Someone I know got so fed up with NYU (he had periodontal issues) that just found a private dentist and took out one of those dental charge it plans offering 0% financing if paid in 24 months or something (CareCredit). He worked his a$$ off to pay off balance before time ran out.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/nyu-dental-clinic-new-york

Old 05-04-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London1Queen89 View Post
Hello all

I just came back from my check up and I was informed that I need about (4) fillings but my insurance will be maxed out after the first visit.

That being said, is it possible to shop around for dental work? Meaning since I already know what work needs to be done can I call around to get the price? So far a few said I would have to come in but I call bull****. I can have my x rays sent over and any notes from doctor sent as well.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for affordable dentist please let me know. It crazy one doctor can charge 500 for one filling and another can charge 200 for the same filling.
Most dentists will give or list standard charges for routine things like cleanings, fillings, etc... But they are quick to point out and is true that they really do need to conduct an examination in order to determine extent of work involved.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Mount Sinai has similar service as well.

https://www.mountsinai.org/care/ehho...ntal-resources

Old 05-04-2023, 07:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London1Queen89 View Post
Hello all

Of course it's possible to shop around, but these days offices are very evasive. You have to call around and press for an answer.

In addition to NYU - which, by the way, is no longer particularly cheap - there is CUNY/City Tech in Brooklyn: 718-260-5074. I've gone there because I can't find a full-fledged Manhattan dentist I like. I don't know what procedures they can or can't do, but they are usually very straightforward.

But you have a dentist already? Have you spoken to him about the financial aspect?

Old 05-06-2023, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Of course it's possible to shop around, but these days offices are very evasive. You have to call around and press for an answer.

In addition to NYU - which, by the way, is no longer particularly cheap - there is CUNY/City Tech in Brooklyn: 718-260-5074. I've gone there because I can't find a full-fledged Manhattan dentist I like. I don't know what procedures they can or can't do, but they are usually very straightforward.

But you have a dentist already? Have you spoken to him about the financial aspect?
Dental market is no different than any other providing a service; there are plenty dentists who will call around to find out what others are charging in an area, then charge less in efforts to undercut market.

Someone calls around and finds Dentist "Z" is charging far less than others in area for whatever procedure. Do they go to Dentist "Z" first? Often no they do not; but saunter into another office asking that dentist to meet said lower price.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:17 AM

418 posts, read 230,706 times
If you have insurance, then you will only be responsible for remainders based on contracted rates. Finding a good dentist who is in network and will let you pay it off without interest is the smart thing to do.
I go to a fancy dentist but he does take my semi crappy insurance but I know price wise, I'm not being gouged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: