Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 10:22 AM

528 posts, read 711,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sorry to hear it, but thanks for posting.

Have you reported it to someone - although I'm not sure it's a crime?
No haven't reported. Just shared the experience on social media and left a 1 star review. They replied to my 1-star review the next day claiming it was FAKE, hahaha.

Got to hand it to them how clever they are about this. They've found a great way to make a lot of money in the least amount of time..

Doesn't seem criminal, just over priced shoddy work.. In their defense they came quickly unlike most "professionals" one deals with..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 01:07 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
No haven't reported. Just shared the experience on social media and left a 1 star review. They replied to my 1-star review the next day claiming it was FAKE, hahaha.

Got to hand it to them how clever they are about this. They've found a great way to make a lot of money in the least amount of time..

Doesn't seem criminal, just over priced shoddy work.. In their defense they came quickly unlike most "professionals" one deals with..
Can you copy and paste the article please?

Old 05-05-2023, 03:09 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I can't read the article, could you copy and paste it?
I recently had to replace my locks with a lock smith as well.

It's from 2016. Not sure how relevant or prevalent it is. Is this the latest and most recent?

And this is 14 years old. Clearly these people are no longer young scammers. https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news...lorida-2610672

No articles or reported scams in at least six years?

Old 05-05-2023, 04:05 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
All locks are breakable/pickable, the question is, how hard is it? Basically every lock out in the world is ridiculously easy to anyone paying attention. LockPickingLawyer on Youtube shows how true this is for basically every lock they have ever touched.
Every lock in the world is not ridiculously easy to anyone paying attention. As dfc99 said in another post, Medeco deadbolt locks are essentially unpickable. Locksmiths don’t have an easy way to open them. Maybe if someone had unlimited time to work on them and knew what they were doing they could open them but for practical purposes they are unpickable. You can’t even copy a Medeco key at most hardware stores and have to find a locksmith authorized by Medeco. On my garage side door I have a Medeco deadbolt lock that requires a key to open it from either side so that even if someone broke the door window they would be need a key to open the lock from the inside of the door. There is no knob to unlock the door from the inside.

Last edited by martinjsxx; 05-05-2023 at 04:35 PM..

Old 05-05-2023, 07:58 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I put Medeco deadbolt locks on my front and side doors years ago. (The bottom locks are just cheap 'EZ Set locks). The Medeco are supposed to be un-pickable. I lost my keys once and called a locksmith I've know for years. He had to drill out the Medeco locks with brass drill bits and replace the locks. Forget how much but maybe near $200 over 15 years ago.

Medeco is now owned by 'Assa Abloy'. - https://www.medeco.com/en/
Yeah I've only used Medeco. Great quality and Made in USA.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Can you copy and paste the article please?
Unable to due to copyright. But try from a different internet connection . Nytimes should give you one free read per IP address or something..

Old 05-05-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

No articles or reported scams in at least six years?
Seems still alive and well based on my recent experience. I guess no recent news story because it's not that big a deal. In fact most folks probably appreciate someone coming out fast to fix their issue.. I certainly don't appreciate the shoddy destructive work and high price though... Perhaps NY'ers are so accustomed to bad over priced service that this is considered acceptable...

Old 05-06-2023, 03:16 AM

63 posts, read 46,207 times
I've been had by these scammers as well. The guy came quickly but was incompetent at opening a bottom lock which a junior maintenance guy in his 20s had opened for me with a thin plastic card material in a few seconds. This "locksmith" could not pick the lock nor do the same card trick. I guess it's in his best interest to also drill the lock out so he can sell you the lock.

This is not the only part of the scam. He also asked for cash only so he's also scamming the IRS and cheating your community of tax dollars.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:25 AM

34,036 posts, read 47,252,748 times
We have places of domicile yet are inadequate to provide our own security

Who's fault is that

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2023, 10:00 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Typical, generic locks are very easy to pick.
Single sided jiggler does that job in seconds.
Get you a set from Walmart for $8 and try it. It's a great "spare" key

It's illegal to have lock picking tools in your possession in New York if you are not a licensed locksmith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City