Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 08:33 PM

21 posts, read 31,468 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: I didn’t get selected. For those who are curious - I was number 4429 out of 4490. The selection started a week ago with number 1000 and over the course of the week jurors 1000-4300 were all called in, with 1000 people called in for Friday alone. I, with such a high number, was part of the last 100 lucky SOBs who didn’t have to go in and I’m done for a couple years I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 05:39 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr900 View Post
UPDATE: I didn’t get selected. For those who are curious - I was number 4429 out of 4490. The selection started a week ago with number 1000 and over the course of the week jurors 1000-4300 were all called in, with 1000 people called in for Friday alone. I, with such a high number, was part of the last 100 lucky SOBs who didn’t have to go in and I’m done for a couple years I guess.
That just means you might be selected again and finally picked. Same thing happened to me. I'm a Queens resident as well.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:33 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Oh, for god's sake, it's one of your very few civic duties. Just make yourself available and don't whine about it.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:08 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
the problem is every single person involved in that court room is making big dollars being there

except the most important people , the jurors .

they are instead being asked to take a financial hit or use their vacation time. while everyone else gets paid handsomely…it can be a financial struggle or financial hit for most americans to serve on a jury considering most americans are a pay check away from not meeting their financial obligations.

i wasted 4 days of priceless vacation time last time i served and the case ended up being settled the day the trial was to start

Old 05-21-2023, 05:26 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
The federal system isn’t much better. I was selected as a juror in 1994 on a carjacking case against two black defendants. I don’t know why it was a federal case, maybe they crossed state lines. Jury selection was done under a magistrate judge but the trial was going to be under a different judge. The next day we went for the trial to start and the judge was the very liberal Jack Weinstein. He started off by calling on several jurors and telling them without explanation that they were dismissed. The dismissed jurors were all white. I wondered if I would be next and sure enough he told me I was dismissed as well. Apparently he felt the four whites on the jury wouldn’t give black defendants a fair trial even though he hadn’t been part of the jury selection process and didn’t know anything about us.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:29 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Oh, for god's sake, it's one of your very few civic duties. Just make yourself available and don't whine about it.
If you've ever served before you'd know that they only pay you $40 a day, which is peanuts. If you have to sit on a case for WEEKS, $40 a day is not going to pay your monthly expenses, so it's way more than just a civic duty. It can be a financial hit as well, since they don't pay you for traveling to and from, and back in the day, they didn't even allow you to bring food inside, so you're expected to travel to and from (burn your gas, etc.), eat outside some place on your own dime and collect $40 a day, which basically goes to you commuting and lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem is every single person involved in that court room is making big dollars being there

except the most important people , the jurors .

they are instead being asked to take a financial hit or use their vacation time. while everyone else gets paid handsomely…it can be a financial struggle or financial hit for most americans to serve on a jury considering most americans are a pay check away from not meeting their financial obligations.

i wasted 4 days of priceless vacation time last time i served and the case ended up being settled the day the trial was to start
So very true... The times that I served, luckily I was paid my regular salary. There is no way with my monthly expenses that I could live off of $40 a day. The time I was there, the money they would've paid me wouldn't have even covered my food expenses, let alone anything else. Truly comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: