Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 02:30 PM

69 posts, read 27,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I work in a White collar environment and in the building I worked in before switching to work from home, I admit that it was mainly White, but there were some Blacks, especially post-pandemic, and this was a building with all private companies. Lots of law firms, investment companies, etc. It's just that Black people that are successful don't feel the need to boast or make a big deal about it. You also fail to realize that the private sector can still be very racist and very clicky and those in the high-up positions tend to be White. That's just a fact, since you are talking about facts.

There is the sense among some people like yourself that Black people can only "thrive" in government (City) jobs with low qualifications, so when some come along that are qualified and talented that don't fit the stereotype, it may not be so easy for them to thrive, especially if they are dark-skinned Black men. Usually the Black men that I do see doing ok in the private sector are light skin... Another stereotype... Dark skin Black men are "dangerous" and not smart enough to be articulate, etc. In the industry I work in, I admit that I've only come across a handful of Black people in all of the years I've been around. It is an industry that pays well, but not something that Black people in general seem to be interested in, but I'm also around lots of lawyers and financial types since the industry I work in is tied to those two industries and it's the same thing. Not many Blacks, but they do exist.

There's also another barrier that you fail to realize and that's the cost of college. It's not just about valuing education, but the cost of college. Hell I definitely recall my last semesters of university being the most expensive, as I went to a private school in Europe with very high tuition costs... You have to have a family that can afford to shell out $20k a semester for such schools. For some Black families and Latino families, they are the first to go to college, let alone a private or Ivy League college. That's another barrier... Again, more connections, the better the college/university.

Still sad though that there's this way of thinking in 2023.

I concur with your post. The only additional information worth adding is that ivy league universities and other elite schools offer need blind admission. This essentially means that if you are admitted and your parents do not make enough to cover your college expenses, you will be offered a full tuition scholarship by the university. The prospective student will also receive (as part of their financial aid package) room and board and health care insurance coverage, as well. Presently, ivies also cover the full cost of books for the year.

Overall, the ivy league and other very elite schools like Stanford, MIT and Cal Tech do a wonderful job of ensuring that students who are admitted (and can't afford the cost of tuition) are able to attend without being saddled with student loan debt.

When I mentor, I try to encourage students from low income households who have the grades, extracurricular activities, volunteer service, etc to apply for admission, because in most instances they will not receive similar financial aid offers at non ivy/elite schools. The financial aid packages provided by the ivy league are stellar. These schools have billions of dollars in their endowment fund and can easily cover all of the expenses of admitted students who cannot afford tuition and room/board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 03:06 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Will be informative to compare what the degrees concentrate on between whites and blacks. Some college degrees are easy to enter and complete but worthless B.S. that adds no value in the lucrative job market. I remember there used to be a guy NYWriterdude who attended Cornel/Columbia which he was so proud of, but he ended up as English tutor for some toddlers in a remote Spanish town.
I went to SUNY and CUNY for undergrad and grad respectively. Finance and then statistics/CS. There were few in undergrad at SUNY and even fewer in grad school at CUNY.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/25/nearly...l-classes/amp/

Quote:
The lack of readiness for college work leaves students, some now parents themselves, frustrated — and angry.
This is exactly what I’m referring to. They should be frustrated and angry at their parents. Not “the schools”, “the system”, “racism”, “Asians”, “whites”, etc. the laziest in NYC are the most entitled.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
I concur with your post. The only additional information worth adding is that ivy league universities and other elite schools offer need blind admission. This essentially means that if you are admitted and your parents do not make enough to cover your college expenses, you will be offered a full tuition scholarship by the university. The prospective student will also receive (as part of their financial aid package) room and board and health care insurance coverage, as well. Presently, ivies also cover the full cost of books for the year.

Overall, the ivy league and other very elite schools like Stanford, MIT and Cal Tech do a wonderful job of ensuring that students who are admitted (and can't afford the cost of tuition) are able to attend without being saddled with student loan debt.

When I mentor, I try to encourage students from low income households who have the grades, extracurricular activities, volunteer service, etc to apply for admission, because in most instances they will not receive similar financial aid offers at non ivy/elite schools. The financial aid packages provided by the ivy league are stellar. These schools have billions of dollars in their endowment fund and can easily cover all of the expenses of admitted students who cannot afford tuition and room/board.
The issue isn’t being able to afford college. The issue is many can barely (even with the system pushing everyone through) graduate HS at a proficient level. Their parents utterly fail them from a very young age. Many are so far behind when they hit middle school that they never catch up. Of course, it’s everyone else’s fault but the parents.

Last edited by Esacni; 05-15-2023 at 03:20 PM..

Old 05-15-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I work in a White collar environment and in the building I worked in before switching to work from home, I admit that it was mainly White, but there were some Blacks, especially post-pandemic, and this was a building with all private companies. Lots of law firms, investment companies, etc. It's just that Black people that are successful don't feel the need to boast or make a big deal about it. You also fail to realize that the private sector can still be very racist and very clicky and those in the high-up positions tend to be White. That's just a fact, since you are talking about facts.

There is the sense among some people like yourself that Black people can only "thrive" in government (City) jobs with low qualifications, so when some come along that are qualified and talented that don't fit the stereotype, it may not be so easy for them to thrive, especially if they are dark-skinned Black men. Usually the Black men that I do see doing ok in the private sector are light skin... Another stereotype... Dark skin Black men are "dangerous" and not smart enough to be articulate, etc. In the industry I work in, I admit that I've only come across a handful of Black people in all of the years I've been around. It is an industry that pays well, but not something that Black people in general seem to be interested in, but I'm also around lots of lawyers and financial types since the industry I work in is tied to those two industries and it's the same thing. Not many Blacks, but they do exist.

There's also another barrier that you fail to realize and that's the cost of college. It's not just about valuing education, but the cost of college. Hell I definitely recall my last semesters of university being the most expensive, as I went to a private school in Europe with very high tuition costs... You have to have a family that can afford to shell out $20k a semester for such schools. For some Black families and Latino families, they are the first to go to college, let alone a private or Ivy League college. That's another barrier... Again, more connections, the better the college/university.

What are you blabbering on about? With the enormous amounts of resources dedicated to DEI, especially among F500’s, you believe that there’s a lack of black workers because some white or Asian guy/gal somewhere thinks no black employee can ever be qualified? You seriously believe that? My brother is in the biotech industry in CA. It’s no different there.

The issue is that there are so few even borderline qualified applicants in the first place.

The cost of college hasn’t been a barrier to entry for the past 30 years. The feds will shovel as much money (loans and grants) as is needed. That excuse is complete and utter horse****.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 2,562 times
Quote:

I am white and from the opposite side of the tracks. My parents are white and they came from poor families.

Your post is well written and others here have garnered and supported your viewpoints, but honestly I see your viewpoint as more out of touch than you realize.

There is a lot of guilt in your response. It’s not really as compassionate as you think. It’s easy to behave compassionately when you grew up with a golden spoon and you have always been protected from the greater stress poor people experience. You do not relate with non-affluent people as closely as you believe.

The majority of Americans did not come from an affluent background like you did. You may even dilute my meaning of affluent just because of your close exposure to NYC which has tons of people more affluent than you.

As a white person from a poor American background I have basically zero guilt about being white. It’s different when you are a rich white living live Pierrepont in a safe white neighborhood of Queens and having a white collar job and anything you ever wanted landed in your lap.

The topic of this discussion also disgusts me because not every white person lives lavishly like Pierrepont. Not every white person is lined up perfectly with no obstacles in their way. It is simply untrue.

A lot of you people (all skin colors) are plain old pampered and living on easy street.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:59 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I am white and from the opposite side of the tracks. My parents are white and they came from poor families.

Your post is well written and others here have garnered and supported your viewpoints, but honestly I see your viewpoint as more out of touch than you realize.

There is a lot of guilt in your response. It’s not really as compassionate as you think. It’s easy to behave compassionately when you grew up with a golden spoon and you have always been protected from the greater stress poor people experience. You do not relate with non-affluent people as closely as you believe.

The majority of Americans did not come from an affluent background like you did. You may even dilute my meaning of affluent just because of your close exposure to NYC which has tons of people more affluent than you.

As a white person from a poor American background I have basically zero guilt about being white. It’s different when you are a rich white living live Pierrepont in a safe white neighborhood of Queens and having a white collar job and anything you ever wanted landed in your lap.

The topic of this discussion also disgusts me because not every white person lives lavishly like Pierrepont. Not every white person is lined up perfectly with no obstacles in their way. It is simply untrue.

A lot of you people (all skin colors) are plain old pampered and living on easy street.
Mr. Harris AND ME.... WE GONNA BE... BIG STARS!!

I don't have White guilt. Why would I? Unlike some people, I'm acutely aware that I have advantages as a White person. You can even look at housing. Yes, White people can afford higher priced apartments, but that doesn't mean that we don't get deals. I read somewhere that Blacks tend to have higher housing costs, even though their earnings are lower than Whites. I certainly believe that, as I've been able to negotiate lower housing costs, both in my old place and now. What it does show is how screwed up the system is, so it isn't just about "laziness" or whatever as Escani professes.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:44 PM

69 posts, read 27,511 times
Quote:

I don't have White guilt. Why would I? Unlike some people, I'm acutely aware that I have advantages as a White person. You can even look at housing. Yes, White people can afford higher priced apartments, but that doesn't mean that we don't get deals. I read somewhere that Blacks tend to have higher housing costs, even though their earnings are lower than Whites. I certainly believe that, as I've been able to negotiate lower housing costs, both in my old place and now. What it does show is how screwed up the system is, so it isn't just about "laziness" or whatever as Escani professes.
I enjoyed reading your post about your present work environment because it showed compassion, which is rare.

The Harvard Business Review conducted a study which found that business leaders are more likely to promote those who are from similar backgrounds and Forbes published an article entitled "Why You Mistakenly Hire People Just Like You," which echoes the study's findings.

Quote:
[whether we realize it or not, we do exhibit] unconscious bias toward people who are of the same race, education level, economic status and have the same personality, fears or values. [This] influences who [businesses] hire much more than we think. Scientists now have tests that can measure just how biased you are. [We] subconsciously look for points of similarity in everyone [we] meet because similarities make [us] feel safer.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesc...h=37b4e363827d

Old 05-15-2023, 05:44 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
I enjoyed reading your post about your present work environment because it showed compassion, which is rare.

The Harvard Business Review conducted a study which found that business leaders are more likely to promote those who are from similar backgrounds and Forbes published an article entitled "Why You Mistakenly Hire People Just Like You," which echoes the study's findings.
I don't want to make it sound like Whites have it made, because we don't, but to say that SOME of us don't have advantages is comical, especially in certain environments. As much as Escani claims that he bashes Jews on welfare, etc., when push comes to shove, groups of the same background stick together, be that in housing, jobs, etc.

We still have a society where men are paid higher salaries for similar or identical jobs as women, regardless of color. I'm sure Escani will point out the fact that Asians tend to have the highest salaries, but while they are minorities and face discrimination, they still don't face the same hurdles as Blacks and Hispanics do in terms of discrimination, so it goes much further than the idea of anyone being "lazy" "uneducated" or not trying hard enough. I'd put money on it that if he was in a position of hiring someone in the private sector, with the way he stereotypes Blacks by essentially implying that they're incapable of obtaining a job outside of City jobs with low requirements, that he wouldn't hire a Black person if they were qualified, articulate, etc., because then they wouldn't fit his stereotype. lol

Old 05-15-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:

You're guilty because your childhood was probably easy. Lots of white yuppies carry this guilt. In days past, this guilt was worked through via religion and having children(raising kids, even good ones, is rough). Nowadays, the religion is self flagellation via woke ideology and childless clowns mentally masturbating while ordering $30 salads via DoorDash.

Lucky for me, I'm an immigrant and come from immigrant parents. I saw my parents struggle very hard for the first 10 years in the US. I also come from a culture where my parents didn't try to be my friend. My parents never made excuses for me.

In turn, I carry absolutely zero guilt. In fact, I see the excuses for the bull**** that they are.

If you think white people get "deals" when buying homes in NYC, you should point me in that direction. I'll give you 5% of the agreed upon price, if you can get me a "deal" worth at least 10% off of the median asking price for a comparable property. You can make a quick $50K, maybe even more.

Your post is comical and you have to be truly out there to believe anything you wrote. Do you realize that black NYCers pay some of the lowest rents in NYC? Who do you think makes extensive use of NYCHA and housing vouchers in NYC?

Old 05-15-2023, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 2,562 times
Quote:

My opinion is that your post that I quoted previously reeks of virtue signaling.

Furthermore your quote here:
“Still sad though that there's this way of thinking in 2023.”
This shows you are beyond out of touch and a rich kid type. With CRT, DEI, EEO, Affirmative Action, and everything else is exactly designed to prevent white males from advancing in all areas of life regardless of their level of ambition. Whatever year you went to college must have been prior to when this BLM and CRT madness entered the center stage.
When I attended college the classes were all legitimate but today it is undoubtedly a Marxist brainwashing machine. The same people running the CRT in schools are the same ones behind the new CRT hiring teams in practically every company and their jobs are to specifically prevent white males from entering and advancing.

“Yes, White people can afford higher priced apartments, but that doesn't mean that we don't get deals”
I am white and cannot afford nearly what a lot of others can.

Anyways I am not trying to diss anybody too harshly but I am just saying not every white guy in NYC is a Pierrepont with high earning jobs and blasting their mouths virtue signaling about black this and Latino that. Pierre has probably never lived in a black or brown hood before with filth and troubles all night long. He lives in some Grey Poupon enclave of rich white Queens behind security gates.

Big difference folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: