Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 07:42 PM

188 posts, read 60,381 times

Advertisements

All three airports in the metro area are absolute vomit. Just got back from London and it was a breeze using the Heathrow Express. Arrived in JFK and all I have is one back pack and a small roller. Took the POS AirTrain monorail to Jamaica then transfer to LIRR. Jamaica looks like a sh-thole and this was upgraded in 2017!

Neither of the three airports you can take the subway, LIRR, or NJ Transit to the airport. Newark might be the closest one that has a direct rail but like JFK you have to pay additional fee to use the AirTrain monorail.

Meanwhile I see scumbags in this city masturbating over some new bar or going "ohhh ahhh" over some new terminals.

If we want to be world class city, we need to make our airports FUNCTIONAL, not adding another liqueur shop. Last month in Chicago I took the blue line from the airport to the city and it was easy. Now they are gonna add Metra(their version of LIRR, Metro-North, NJ Transit) to the airport. Just embarrassing how this city turns out.

Cuomo's LGA plan was pathetic and he should have been stomped and kicked for that stupid plan.

If anyone disagrees on one seat direct rail rides to our airports or is a third world cab driver that thinks your precious rides will be "stolen", go f yourself and back to your country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 10:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 723,997 times
Sorry to disappoint you but among all the first world nations, America is at the very bottom, unless you consider Russia to be a first world nation.

Old 06-17-2023, 10:57 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
I appreciate access to JFK. Transfer from the air train to subway is pretty seamless.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:03 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,816,133 times
Meanwhile in "Chi Na" - they build these airports in 5-6 years from scratch. It's mind blogging watching the construction speed and sheer size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGHD...nnel=RedArrows

Bejing DaXing international airport

Chengdu International

That said, LGA upgrades are quite nice. JFK is a sh*thole for sure.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:11 PM

Beijing international is stunning. I was there when in China for the 2008 Olympics. I'd love if NYC could replicate something like that (or any of the above).

Old 06-17-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I appreciate access to JFK. Transfer from the air train to subway is pretty seamless.
They charge an extra $8 plus there is no free transfer onto the subway. If you call that seamless, then you been doing some powerful drugs. The AirTrain should be free. Same deal with Newark as well. The monorail isn't a premium service.

I saw a ton of tourists struggling to use the machines and were confused on what to do. I helped a few out and practically called our system junk which they are 100% correct on.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Meanwhile in "Chi Na" - they build these airports in 5-6 years from scratch. It's mind blogging watching the construction speed and sheer size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGHD...nnel=RedArrows

Bejing DaXing international airport

Chengdu International

That said, LGA upgrades are quite nice. JFK is a sh*thole for sure.
What good are those worthless upgrades when there no legit train from LGA to Manhattan? All they got to do is extend the N line. NO monorail required. After Cuomo's failed plan we now will have "increased buses" whatever that means.

Old 06-18-2023, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesfitlatinas View Post
They charge an extra $8 plus there is no free transfer onto the subway. If you call that seamless, then you been doing some powerful drugs. The AirTrain should be free. Same deal with Newark as well. The monorail isn't a premium service.

I saw a ton of tourists struggling to use the machines and were confused on what to do. I helped a few out and practically called our system junk which they are 100% correct on.

*Shrugs* It’s always been easy for me to use. I’ve also never paid to use the air train while en route to the airport but that’s because I take the bus directly to the air train and get on at a stop where you don’t pay. That you disagree is fine.

As for tourist confusion, I have been confused using the London tube and Paris metro. I see plenty of tourists confused with the standard NYC subway processes as well. I think confusion over a new system to you is normal and expected.

Old 06-18-2023, 06:20 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
NYC should built light rail to LGA and extend light rail from JFK

Old 06-18-2023, 06:58 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
I don't remember the last time I used Newark Intl, but JFK is the airport I end up using most in NYC and it has been many years when I used LGA.

I hear LGA is now quite nice, because the last time I used (arriving from Florida) it there were things like the escalator not working. I thought to myself I have never seen that in an airport in a developing country, but look and behold with LGA giving excellent first impressions. Plus, the day was hot and muggy and their a/c either didn't work well or they kept it at very warm temperatures. Never again I said and haven't been back since.

JFK is huge and how good it's depends on the terminal since there are several. The last terminal I used was the Jetblue one and that one is quite modern and nice. It might still be the newest terminal at JFK.

The biggest pet peeve is what I saw yesterday on the Instagram account of News 12 NYC (I don't live in NYC, but follow a few accounts from there since not a year goes by without visiting NYC a few times.) All NYC airports + Newark Intl is going to increase the parking fee to $80. Great!

I never used the Direct Rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City