Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 01:35 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Thank god one of mine goes to private and the other is homeschooled.
Yep. Once the fist kids was born the decision to flee was easy to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 05:16 PM

93 posts, read 41,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You're joking right?

Just like thousands of illegal alien kids before them of course these "migrant" children will be in public school in a few weeks. In fact both NYC public and charter schools are preparing to welcome them like conquering heroes.

https://nypost.com/2023/08/17/nyc-ch...-want-to-help/

Even the lowest performing and most crappy public school is streets better than what was on offer where these kids came from. That's one of the reasons their parents picked up and moved to USA in first place.

Oh and don't forget it's *F-R-E-E*! Not just to attend classes but these kids will be getting all sorts of free stuff from supplies (including textbooks and laptops/devices) to healthcare to meals and more all at no cost to their parents.
Not for long!

Old 08-21-2023, 08:36 AM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Public school teacher here, yes they are. As much as I support coming here the legal way (I came here legally, took me five years to get a visa), these poor kids haven’t asked to be here. I, unlike many of these softy teachers will teach them to be upstanding individuals, not woke ideologues, and this is the thing school should focus on, not telling them they’re victims of an oppressive system that is so oppressive it keeps them here and strives to house them over veterans and others.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:49 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
A friend of mine works at an elementary school in District 2 (lower Manhattan). They had somewhere between 50-100 migrant students enroll in spring 2023.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 430 times
Would you be able to share the name of that elementary school?

Old 08-21-2023, 06:10 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Public school teacher here, yes they are. As much as I support coming here the legal way (I came here legally, took me five years to get a visa), these poor kids haven’t asked to be here. I, unlike many of these softy teachers will teach them to be upstanding individuals, not woke ideologues, and this is the thing school should focus on, not telling them they’re victims of an oppressive system that is so oppressive it keeps them here and strives to house them over veterans and others.
How it affect quality of education because it kids from around world multiple languages to translate to English and cultures ?

Old 08-24-2023, 02:11 PM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
How it affect quality of education because it kids from around world multiple languages to translate to English and cultures ?
This doesn’t really affect quality of education, what does affect it is the programs and the fact that even failing students graduate from middle school to high school. What affects quality of education is that admins never give consequences and hold students accountable. I was working et a middle school, a hell hole, no authority from teachers. And when people like me actually man up and stand up to these kids, they call you names, threaten you and so on…. Then go cry to admin about how horrible you are and lie about you and what happened. Not to mention the 100s of fights happening each school year… or even the parents fighting sometimes…

The guess what? The most successful kids were English language learners. The failing kids were born and raised in NY, entitled little brats…

The NYC DOE is the problem, progressive policies are the problem, Publix school teachers and staff can cry all day about charter schools, that are “stealing” public school kids, at least they don’t have these issues. You can’t blame charter schools for expanding, blame progressive policies.

Now don’t get it wrong there is a lot of non-woke progressive staff in the NYC DOE, they just don’t have a voice.

Old 08-24-2023, 02:52 PM

193 posts, read 104,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Yep. Once the fist kids was born the decision to flee was easy to make.
here you are again.. smh...

Old 08-24-2023, 03:13 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeentt View Post
here you are again.. smh...
If we move away for a better life for our kids... we're racist?

Racist has lost its cachet. You use it too much. No one cares anymore.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-24-2023, 03:50 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If we move away for a better life for our kids... we're racist?

Racist has lost its cachet. You use it too much. No one cares anymore.
Honest question - the public schools weren't good on your part of Staten Island?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: