Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 05:39 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAveExp5 View Post
How did we let this become acceptable as a society? The most basic right to having some peace and quiet outside of your home is gone. Subways, buses, stores, parks; people are just blasting their **** with absolutely no courtesy or respect. Nobody complains because of fear that you’ll get beat up but damn it’s just not the same leaving home anymore. Smartphones have been here for a while but this is a very recent post-Covid phenomenon. It used to be maybe one in 10 subway rides I’d have to deal with it. Now it’s more than half to the point where I had to buy noise-canceling headphones
One word: Earplugs.

Sadly, with increased population, people have become increasingly inconsiderate of others. Noise pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 10:16 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
There are more rude, low-class scumbags than ever - and they're ready for conflict. Society is changing for the worse.

Old 09-21-2023, 01:41 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Playing devils advocate here. Some do it because in their cultures it is acceptable .
Disagree.

It is never acceptable in any culture, and I'm black.

Why don't I blast some country or heavy metal music, will they find it acceptable then? No. They only blast it because they have no manners, no shame, nothing to lose, low IQ, are oblivious, and combative when you are ready to tell them to use headphones.

And every race/culture is guilty of it. I've been in day club pool lounges where white people thought it was acceptable to bring their own (loud) Bluetooth speaker music (there was already a DJ with great music at great volume). I've been in waiting rooms and restaurants and cafes where people were watching sports, on speakerphone.

This should be a punishable offense and clearly indicates the archaic lawlessness of society. As the person above me said, there are ruder low class scumbags more than ever before, making the world a worse place to live in. And no establishment can do anything about it, for fear of getting punched, getting called a racist, getting sued, or all three.

Old 09-21-2023, 07:45 AM

528 posts, read 711,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Disagree.

It is never acceptable in any culture, and I'm black.

Why don't I blast some country or heavy metal music, will they find it acceptable then? No. They only blast it because they have no manners, no shame, nothing to lose, low IQ, are oblivious, and combative when you are ready to tell them to use headphones.

And every race/culture is guilty of it. I've been in day club pool lounges where white people thought it was acceptable to bring their own (loud) Bluetooth speaker music (there was already a DJ with great music at great volume). I've been in waiting rooms and restaurants and cafes where people were watching sports, on speakerphone.

This should be a punishable offense and clearly indicates the archaic lawlessness of society. As the person above me said, there are ruder low class scumbags more than ever before, making the world a worse place to live in. And no establishment can do anything about it, for fear of getting punched, getting called a racist, getting sued, or all three.
Ok, maybe not cultures, but social classes? You wrote it is "ruder low class scumbags..." . Generally, most public transit users are from the lower classes. Perhaps this article explains it better:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...e-loud/670600/

Old 09-21-2023, 11:33 AM

Anybody ever see the movie Idiocracy?

Old 09-21-2023, 11:53 AM

351 posts, read 224,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfeet View Post
To many cowards in NY ....if enough Men threw there phone into traffic, they'd stop.

The stronk and independent women can handle this on their own. I'm confident.

Old 09-21-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Ok, maybe not cultures, but social classes? You wrote it is "ruder low class scumbags..." . Generally, most public transit users are from the lower classes. Perhaps this article explains it better:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...e-loud/670600/
The worst offenders, by far, as far as noise coming from vehicles in Philadelphia, are Hispanic.

I blame the police for not enforcing laws.

Here's an idea - Ticket them and even though the scumbags aren't going to pay, make it so they can't register their vehicle with the state if they have any kind of outstanding tickets on said vehicle. Then, when they eventually get pulled over, their vehicle will be impounded.

Philly has 'live stops,' meaning if you get pulled over without the proper paperwork, they impound your vehicle. There's an impound lot near me and it's always packed.

This country is too soft on scumbags.

Old 09-21-2023, 09:10 PM

528 posts, read 711,162 times
Just this evening had someone board the bee-line bus through the rear exit and blasted music with explicit lyrics . Got lots of dirty looks from passengers but he never turned it off. After 20 minutes the bus driver shouted at him to turn it off. He lowered the volume for 2 minutes then blasted it back up.

I filed a complaint with the bus online form. I wonder does the bus driver have the ability to enforce the rules with the help of the police? Like can they have cops meet them at a certain stop? The guy just seemed unfazed by what he was doing. But he didn't seem to be high.

Old 09-21-2023, 09:52 PM

34,016 posts, read 47,240,427 times
People that blast their music on public transportation like that are really making a cry for help

This country never addressed the mental health of its citizens appropriately

I feel that this country should allow every opportunity to be the best citizen that you can be

Unfortunately money has become the driving factor and measure of success instead of the Golden Rule

Maybe if I had no money I would go crazy and blast my music too

Smh

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-22-2023, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
People that blast their music on public transportation like that are really making a cry for help

This country never addressed the mental health of its citizens appropriately

I feel that this country should allow every opportunity to be the best citizen that you can be

Unfortunately money has become the driving factor and measure of success instead of the Golden Rule

Maybe if I had no money I would go crazy and blast my music too

Smh
Stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City