Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 06:16 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perp smasher View Post
I really don't think that hochul believes in any of this bullsh!t that she is spewing. Its all about getting votes. Are these reparations going to be only for blacks. I'm sure there had to be some white slaves. Is there going to be any proof required. Just be fair and give reparations to everybody across the board.
I'm always up for learning something new. How about you take the initiative and do some research, and get back to us with how many white people were kidnapped from their homeland and shipped across the Atlantic.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 06:16 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm sorry for what happened to your family, but I don't even know my real last name. Or even if the culture which my ancestors are from even used last names. You probably have your original surname though. You think names like Jackson and Johnson (neither of which are my last name) come from Africa? Lol.
We don't, sort of. The spelling was majorly changed to make it appear French because my grandfather couldn't get a job with the original spelling. This was in the 1930's mind you, within the lifespan of people still living today.

I'm not downplaying the plight of black Americans. I'm just pointing out that very, very few people alive today had a 400 year head start on you.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-20-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Most descendants of slave owners in NYC are black African immigrants and the Muslims from Bay Ridge.
That's a pretty bold claim, do you have any sources or documentation to back up your statement?

Old 12-20-2023, 06:18 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So it's ok when Trump shows up to pander with the Black Republicans though?
Well he's not fomenting a race war just to keep black people voting against their own interests.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-20-2023, 06:19 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
“New York fully abolished slavery by 1827, and much of New York City profited heavily off of the slave industry.”

Nyc should be paying much of this then based on the first article you posted. Nyc should double their taxes immediately because this could be a 500 billion dollar payment like California.

Or They need to increase their tax revenue by 27 times to pay for this in a year.
Just to clarify, but while the law called for slavery to end in NY was 1827, there were still some enslaved in the state into the 1840’s.

As mentioned in previous thread about this topic, the first enslaved Africans came to what is now Manhattan in 1626 via the Dutch. So, technically, the black presence in NYC/NYS has a longer history with enslavement than it does without it.

Wall Street ironically named after the fortress built by enslaved Africans, which were later traded there. Hence, enslaved Africans were the first commodities sold/trade on the market. So, there is a history in the state of the economy having ties to the slave trade/enslavement system.

How the committee comes about tying that history with a form of economic repair, which is where the word reparations comes from, will be interesting. I honestly think that ideas more in line with community/economic investment will come into play versus simply passing out actual money. I say that given that this topic can go beyond slavery and that there is actually a history of reparations given to other groups in the country. For example, the discussion about capping the Kensington Parkway in Buffalo is looking to mend back a neighborhood that is about 70-80% black. You may see more things like this come from the committee, as they may look at this from a standpoint of if our ancestors labor was actually compensated, this would mean more wealth and with that more power in relation to policy and other measures impacting our concentrated communities.

Lastly, I want to say that I think a lot of pushback isn’t just political, but I think we have to consider if this is viewed from a perspective of immigration versus forced labor. Meaning, are people attaching other experiences to this unique experience in a country known for freedom, but has an important group with a longer history of enslavement and real barriers that others likely didn’t have to consider or that haven’t been addressed. Essentially don’t conflate one sociopath-historical experience with another, especially when more and more information about that experience gets revealed for a group that has longer roots in this country in general/as a collective outside of only Native Americans.

I know people may not like this, but I also think this is why so much history isn’t taught and is hidden, as if it is known, then has to be confronted and it helps to manipulate things on a social level.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-20-2023 at 06:32 AM..

Old 12-20-2023, 06:23 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,214,424 times
The Civil War ended slavery in this country. 39,000 NY'ers died. You can go on and on about all the other reasons for the war.

The debt has been paid in blood by men and women far better than the members of this commission.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:25 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,090 times
There still some type slavery in nyc white and black and latina prostitutes have mostly black pimps!

Old 12-20-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We don't, sort of. The spelling was majorly changed to make it appear French because my grandfather couldn't get a job with the original spelling. This was in the 1930's mind you, within the lifespan of people still living today.

I'm not downplaying the plight of black Americans. I'm just pointing out that very, very few people alive today had a 400 year head start on you.
Who's decision was it to change the spelling though? That is key.

As to your second point, do you not see that generations of families have profited off of discrimination?

Old 12-20-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
The Civil War ended slavery in this country. 39,000 NY'ers died. You can go on and on about all the other reasons for the war.

The debt has been paid in blood by men and women far better than the members of this commission.
Here's some reading material:

13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: Abolition of Slavery (1865)

Cliff Notes:

"Nonetheless, the Emancipation Proclamation did not end slavery in the nation since it only applied to areas of the Confederacy currently in a state of rebellion (and not even to the loyal “border states” that remained in the Union). Lincoln recognized that the Emancipation Proclamation would have to be followed by a constitutional amendment in order to guarantee the abolishment of slavery."

"The 13th Amendment was passed at the end of the Civil War before the Southern states had been restored to the Union, and should have easily passed in Congress. However, though the Senate passed it in April 1864, the House initially did not."

Old 12-20-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I think that Hochul should start a reparations panel for the families of severely underpaid, and overworked, Italian immigrants who built NYC.
Key word is that they were paid, slaves were not

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City