Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 02:33 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,743 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I guess that's more of what I was expecting. In California everyone celebrates Cinco de Mayo in the sense that..they use it as an excuse to go out and party and get drunk. I don't particularly care about Cinco de Mayo but I have always found it a fun reason to get festive myself..and I was surprised it wasn't like that here in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Yeah, I guess that's more of what I was expecting. In California everyone celebrates Cinco de Mayo in the sense that..they use it as an excuse to go out and party and get drunk. I don't particularly care about Cinco de Mayo but I have always found it a fun reason to get festive myself..and I was surprised it wasn't like that here in NYC.
Well as I said there's 2 reasons for that.

1) Not as many Mexicans in New York
2) The Mexicans that do live here have no concept of Cinco De Mayo as a major holiday.

Young college-age kids love to "celebrate" Cinco de Mayo in the sense that they'll go out to the bar and drink Coronas. Thats really the extent of Cinco De Mayo celebrations in this area.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
The Mexican population in NYC is still relatively new. There weren't really any Mexican neighborhoods in the city until very recently. So its really no surprise that Cinco de Mayo is still not really celebrated like how it is in Cali or Texas.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:51 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
True dat..nonetheless, they have really swarmed into the city as of the last 10 years, and especially the last 5...and it has been a good thing.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 AM

391 posts, read 1,249,209 times
Speaking of Mexicans, are there cholos in nyc? lowriders? hynas?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM

LOL. No there are not. I live in one of the most densely populated mexican areas and there definitely are not any lowriders etc. That's southern cali. Where I'm from, San Diego, they have them there...as well as L.A. I have been to Arizona and New Mexico...they are there too...even Las Vegas....not NYC though.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
I'm absolutely positive we (Puertoricans) are smarter than first generation Mexicans!!LOL. At least we dont hate African Americans like most Mexicans do. Go to L.A and see the internal racial stuff that go on there.
Well then you haven't spent a lot of time around puerto ricans in NY. Here in NY the PR's dont care if your SKIN IS BLACK, they care whether you originate (meaning your ancestors) in Puerto Rico or in America. If you're African-American, you are looked down upon, if your skin is black as night but you speak Spanish and originate from La Isla, or your mother or grandmother speaks Spanish, then you are Puerto Rican and not Black, and you are embraced like any other puerto rican. While its not great to dislike others for their culture, at least they're not basing it on skin color, just on culture. This is because many puerto ricans believe they are much cleaner and more family-oriented people than American blacks. Puerto Ricans do love their hip hop though, so that's where people think they assimilate with each other, over the dress style and music, and cuz they often live in the same hoods.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Smile I know I'm going to **** off half the city of NYC..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
I'm absolutely positive we (Puertoricans) are smarter than first generation Mexicans!!LOL. At least we dont hate African Americans like most Mexicans do. Go to L.A and see the internal racial stuff that go on there.
..but...this sure in the hell isn't true. I haven't seen ANY puerto ricans that are smarter than mexicans and vice versa. Once I start seeing less of all of them using food stamps and wic at the grocery store I'll assume they were smart enough to have some integrity and not cheat the welfare system.
THE END.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:51 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Quelinda's comments are FALSE and apply only to the poor, uneducated of our society...which should be dismissed as the beliefs of those that are not representative of PRs. The equivalent would be going to the mountains of West Virginia and somehow extrapolating their beliefs as somehow representative of white people in America..which of course would be wrong.

PRs do not look down on anyone, but there are many uneducated, ghetto, and dysfunctional of every group that say, do and believe things that have no bearing on the culture at all...except of course for the culture of poverty and the innercity. As a result, please dismiss the above poster's comments as NOT representative of PRs, but of the inner city, uneducated, poor, ghetto people..which can be of any race, culture, or people.

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-30-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 AM

Default haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Quelinda's comments are FALSE and apply only to the poor, uneducated of our society...which should be dismissed as the beliefs of those that are not representative of PRs. The equivalent would be going to the mountains of West Virginia and somehow extrapolating their beliefs as somehow representative of white people in America..which of course would be wrong.

PRs do not look down on anyone, but there are many uneducated, ghetto, and dysfunctional of every group that say, do and believe things that have no bearing on the culture at all...except of course for the culture of poverty and the innercity. As a result, please dismiss the above poster's comments as NOT representative of PRs, but of the inner city, uneducated, poor, ghetto people..which can be of any race, culture, or people.

I doubt quelinda has a family at the bodega. She is white. And a lot of what she said is true. But then again..yes, each group has it's class of people that do that. I'm part mexican but consider myself white. I don't speak fluent spanish nor do I care to, and I just don't relate to the culture..but I have never seen so much racism among hispanics in my life until I came here.

Last edited by Viralmd; 06-30-2008 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City